Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

why did you choose to use Spotify?

why did you choose to use Spotify?

There are a lot of other music apps that you could use to listen to music so why did you choose to use Spotify and not some other music app? What Feature etc. let you choose Spotify?

65 Replies

Hey @Heythatsme,

Thank you for asking that question! The reason I chose Spotify was that most of my friends are on Spotify and not on other Music Platforms. I chose Spotify because it has the "friends activity" I really like their format on Desktop and it keeps getting better and better. I like how you can publically show you're recently "played" artists.

One of the reasons was its price. I am part of a Family Plan with 6 people and only $15 a month. A Super Great Deal! Only $2.50 a month for one person in the Plan! That is why we chose it for Spotify! We chose it because it was super cheap and it had great reviews. And I am glad my family made the right decision on doing the Family Plan.

Hope you know partly why I chose Spotify as my main music streaming service. I would love to hear @Heythatsme, at why you chose Spotify.

I chose Spotify for only one reason:
Nonagon Infinity, and I ended up listening to a lotta other music.
I just like to listen to music in Spotify now.

Hey @Joel-M,

Thanks for asking that question and I'm sorry for taking so long in answering.

I choose Spotify because I used to have an Samsung Phone, and Apple Music is just available with an iPhone, and Google Play Music wasn't a big thing back then when I got my first Spotify Account.

A couple of my friends had Spotify. I tried it free and decided it would do just fine. Not all of the music I wanted was there but there was enough. The price is right, it is simple and it does what I want most of the time.

I compare with other services from time to time and so far there was no incentive for me to shift. I am not inclined to pay more for even better sound quality, my hearing is not that good. I would shift, or pay more, for a better catalog and better-sounding masters (cf. loudness war) but we are at the mercy of record labels here. Everyone has the same music and if the album is poorly (re)mastered it's the same everywhere. I'm not surprised people get into vinyl again. 🙂

My friends recommended spotify, so I decided to use it.

I think I read about spotify before, a tweet I think from an artist saying their song hit a certain number of views on spotify, so I got curious, and I'm pretty satisfied since there is a variety of J-pop, and K-pop as well ^w^

Spotify helped me discover other songs as well, something out of my comfort zone.

My brother is on spotify since 2014 and i joined spotify  end 2015  more precisely (in November 2015). 

at first I was on itunes  (Ipod) and you have to download music and sometimes on some sites it was illegal. 

on the itunes the songs is pay for listen and i not download since lived to the message of the HADOPI on the download illegal. 

Right Now, for we more the recommended for songs of  various playlist for made for me. 

right now, for music is better at the moment

I chose Spotify because that was the only platform any of us knew about that wasn't Youtube. : ) Free tier was what lured all of us in.... 👀

I haven't had any reason to switch platforms either. Very convenient partly because of my long listener history and partly because of features, and a great API.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

+1 on what @Sebasty said!

I was briefly in uni abroad and Spotify was a big thing there. Once I found out that there was a free tier and there was a neat desktop app, I started using it massively. Have not looked back since 😄

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I believe I started using Spotify in 2013 or 2014, perhaps for a similar reason as for @Flanstario1: I knew that my brother was using it, and I was curious to try out the app as well. I was also in the scenario that @Sebasty mentioned, in which I wasn’t familiar with any other streaming platforms at the time (I also didn’t know much about Spotify either, other than that it is an app for listening to music). However, I soon found that I really enjoyed listening to music on Spotify; and since then, I haven’t felt a need to try out any other streaming platform. Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm here because the Zune died. So here I am! Being a new user I was hesitate, but overtime Spotify changed my mind

All my friends use Spotify and I really like Spotify's UI/UX.

My absolute favourite aspect of Spotify is Connect though. It's so practical at home!

I started using Spotify back in 2013 for the first time. I remember discovering the app after seeing some ads in my browser. By that time I was using YouTube daily and accidentally found out that Spotify offers a great web player. I started using the free version and was never bothered by the ads since I was raised with the ancient technology of the radio 🤣 📻 

What got me hooked on the app is the playlist feature, allowing you to save, download, create and manage playlist you've made yourself. Another important thing - the mobile version allowed me to bring my music on the street when walking through the city, which replaced my MP3 player. The fact that I could look up artists and check their albums was also a great advantage. Step by step I realized that Spotify offers numerous ways to find new music, explore genres or get recommendations. 

I joined a long time ago when Spotify didn't even make you shuffle through playlists an albums in free mode; you just had to deal with ads and, at some point, limited skips like Pandora. I think Pandora was the biggest competitor at the time, too, and I remember there was still a lot of controversy about how and where or even if music should be streamed on demand and used in day-to-day life.

Buying albums and songs on iTunes was the norm for so long besides physical copies of music, and people doubted whether it could be appropriately regulated or no. Copyright and ownership laws were held to a stricter standard and selling music as a product itself was heresy to a lot of people who saw more integrity in the art of music. Some even compared streaming music to passing around a dirty handkerchief to use again and again.

So, Apple Music and Google Play Music were barely gaining traction and butting heads. I had an iPhone 6S+ and was ditching Apple as soon as I got the chance. I turned 18 and with my first debit card I got Spotify Premium because I didn't like Apple's stance on anything but the Google Music app had a lot of features only available on Android and Apple may have been blocking it from their App Store as well - I can't remember. Spotify kind of seemed like next-preferable option. That's kind of it. The newer features are mostly clutter to me and I just like to listen to music and a couple of podcasts a week.

I don't listen to my Daily Mixes often but I do like the yearly review as well as some of the pre-made playlists by Spotify. Ironically enough, I like the radio feature that Pandora sort of hallmarked as their own first.

As Spotify has grown, though, I've noticed they've become more clogged with click-out ads and pop-ups even for paying users. The podcasts were at first a background feature but now it's profiting too much from major media corporations, owned by propaganda conglomerates.

Whether they intend to look like "sellouts" or not, Spotify has lost a lot of the anonymity and escapism appeal that I used to enjoy. I might be searching for something new or going for Google Play Music since they're the next big competition at this point but they also work more flawlessly than Spotify.

- Mainly because of the liked songs per artist feature. I tried a few others a while back but the just don't fit with my listening style. I like to just choose an artist and listen to the liked songs of that artist.
- Mobile integration, it's nice to control the music on my pc with my phone so I don't have to walk to the other side of the room everytime.
- Algorithm, the algorithm of spotify is really good and helps me discover music

I've been with Spotify since its early days back when you needed an invite to create an account - I think it was early 2008 and a friend got me an invite and even though the music library was nowhere near what it is now I still could not believe it was real, and legal, and all. I've been a premium subscriber ever since premium was introduced and that's the reason really.. Spotify was first, and as long as the music is there, I am not going anywhere.

I use Spotify because of it's Daily Mixes and Discover Weekly playlists. It adds new music and covers instantly while Amazon Music etc. don't even have half the songs I have on Spotify. Sure the Ads are annoying but the amount of songs and the personalized playlists is really good. They just should add ads which don't prompt you to buy Premium everytime ( I mean Normal ads).

Spotify is the only service that works well with my wifi speakers but Spotify's radio and recommendations are becoming so terrible I am seriously thinking about getting new speakers so I can move to another service. I thoroughly do not enjoy Spotify anymore, which long ago I actually really did...

Thanks for asking this question! I have used Slacker radio, Google play music, I heart radio, amazon music, and Apple music. When I found Spotify, it seemed like the perfect app. I love what the app looks like and how the app is the easiest to navigate. For the longest I used my free version of Spotify. A few days ago, I gave in to buying premium. It is totally worth it!😊

Aw, that sounds so nice, glad you're enjoying the app so much @kayla68😊

What's your favorite feature so far?

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts