Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Tag Music

It'd be awesome to be able to add my own tags to all of my songs in playlists, so I can easily and specifically sort my songs how I like.

Should be a pretty simple tool to implement.

Thanks

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
Perosales
Recommendations, radio and browsing are good if you are in Discovery mood. But my music should be organised by... Well... Me :-) We are so close now, with the new My Music... To a near perfect music service... So close I can taste it. Just throw in tags with the accompanying smart playlist creator, reintroduce stars next to my music, to let your absolute favorites stand out in My Music, remove the 10.000 limit from my music and we are there. Nobody will ever mention iTunes again 🙂
hans-jürgen

Coming back to the first comment on this idea I'd like to mention that there are already several ways to combine Last.fm tags with Spotify content. The latest feature is the Spotify on-demand playback on Last.fm since January which also works with global or personal tag radios which you might have created there. It means that you can import the first 70 listed tracks from a Last.fm tag radio page and play those tracks in Spotify. Here's an example with my "Rockpalast" tag: http://www.last.fm/user/hjbardenhagen/library/tags?tag=rockpalast&view=list Just click on any play button there, and the list will be automatically imported and played in either your Spotify desktop software or web player. This list can also be exported in TSV format and directly converted to a Spotify playlist with www.ivyishere.org.

If you scrobble while listening to Spotify, you can either add tags to the current song on your Last.fm profile page by the dropdown menu when hovering the song, or you use the Last.fm scrobbler software which also automatically lists the current song. The tagging option can be found in the Controls menu or by pressing CTRL+T. So it's at least indirectly possible to maintain an actual tag list of Spotify songs through Last.fm.

SeanShineYouth

I use spotify as a planning and discovery tool for a church worship setting.  Tagging gives me the ability to categorize within a playlist.  For example, I want a playlist of all the music we have done already because that it what I will plan from mostly, but within that playlist I want to be able to see which songs fit a certain musical style or tempo or even a lyrical theme that might fit with a message.  It sounds like im asking for something advanced, but tags fix all of this.  It would make spotify a much more diverse tool not just for recreation for musical professionals.  

nikee93

Don't even bother anymore. It's not going to happen. They don't care.

pixerit

Not supporting tags is bascially a deal breaker for me in choosing spotify. Tags are the best tool when it comes to organizing a large amount of items. It makes no sense why they don't have this feature yet. It's not a complicated feature to implement.

whatwasthat4

Is there another service that is successfully using tags today? 

Humbro

This would be a great addition, and could give Spotify a leg up on other streaming services. 

However, I think a tagging system will not be really useful for the majority of listeners until it is combined with something like this: an "official" set of tags with predefined meanings. You should also be able to tag music with whatever words you like, of course, but my experience with Delicious and other services is that this can get chaotic, so I think there should be some "official" tags on top. 

For example, say that I subscribe to a playlist and want to hear only the instrumental songs. Then I would like to be able to filter this playlist with tag:instrumental. If I then got a song which was in fact not an instrumental, I could mark it as erroneously tagged, and if some number of people did this, then this official tag would be removed. (People's self-defined tags would not be possible to remove like this.)

Perosales
Spotify, how many kudos do you need before this idea will be accepted. I am literally waiting for this update to start working with My music. Without having a way to differentiate music based on custom tags (genres, moods, decades), Spotify is still an immature product and My music not really useful. We need this!

It's not just benefitting users (which in fact is benefitting Spotify because happy user = more likely to keep subscribing), but also Spotify.

As I pointed out in my playlist tagging post ( http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Playlist-tags/idi-p/827267 ), it saves on storage and it gives additional input for the discovery mode as they can show me what others have marked with the same tags as the ones I'm using.

Tags would be a massive boost in functionality that seemingly has no downside. Seems fairly easy to implement as well.

skrutm

I think, service that will implement tags first will win a lot of permanent customers. I'm a Deezer user, but I would change the service if I get tags and better way to organize music (favourites back, filters,automatic playlists). 

Namespace like tag would be the best sollution for me (as I've already described).