Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Clarification on using Spotify data with AI/ML models

Clarification on using Spotify data with AI/ML models

Clause 14 of the Spotify Developer Policy states:

"Do not use the Spotify Platform or any Spotify Content to train a machine learning or AI model or otherwise ingest Spotify Content into a machine learning or AI model."[1]

I am looking to build an app that uses AI to create personalized travel recommendations based on a user's Spotify listening history. However, this policy seems to prohibit using Spotify data to train AI models.

Could the Spotify Developer Relations team please clarify if there are any exceptions or alternative approaches that would allow using Spotify data with AI/ML models while still complying with the policy? I would be happy to discuss my specific use case further.

Thank you for your guidance on navigating this policy while building innovative apps that enhance the Spotify experience for users.

6 Replies

There isn't an exception.

it doesnt make sense, other apps are able to use spotify content to retrain models. Who are you by the way?

Those other apps are likely using a machine learning model trained on text; not the data from Spotify.

And who I am is not important.

Maybe this is interesting to you: Every Noise at Once · Genres by Country

You can use that in combination with the Get User's Top Items:Artists endpoint to get user's top genres.

I see you reposted this text.

If you have commercial intent,  you can get in contact with Spotify by filling out this form. (source)

Also, at Every Place at Once, you can see to which music genres people in some cities like to listen to.

Suggested posts