Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Get User's Top Items(time_range = 'long_term') data is wrong

Get User's Top Items(time_range = 'long_term') data is wrong

Hello!

Some months ago, I started to notice that the Spotify API had the wrong artists, when fetching for the "All the Time" option. I never really confirmed it, but some days ago I asked for the "Extended streaming history" of my account to see the actual data.

In fact, the results happened to differ quite a lot from the API response. I filtered the streams by both the number of time played( 30 secs) and the way the stream ended (only counting 'trackend' streams), but both times the results always deviate by a lot. I also tried the unfiltered data, but it had no changes in the final result.

In the attachments, I will give two images, data.png, which is the excel derived from the "Extended streaming history data", and the api.png, which contains the current top artists of all time from the API.

I don't know if this is the best place to post this type of bug, since it is entirely correlated to how the data is being managed by the API, but since it is such a big difference (my 3# artist from the API is 30# on the actual data, by a lot of streams, for example), I decided that it would be the best to post it.

data.png
api.png
1 Reply

Bumping this, as I can see it hasn't been resolved yet. After more investigation, I think that the the other two options for the API call are quite accurate (short_term and medium_term), so the big problem relies on the algorithm for the calculation of the long_term top artists only.

Suggested posts