Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I see a depersonalized version of a genre playlist?

How can I see a depersonalized version of a genre playlist?

When I find a Spotify public playlist for a music genre like "Classic Punk" it now says that it's "Made For" me. I guess this implies that it's tailoring the playlist to my tastes. But I don't want that for a genre playlist -- I want the default, expert-crafted one (or at least an AI-crafted one that's not putting me in an echo chamber of music I already listen to frequently). And it seems some playlists are still not personalized, while others are.

I understand the benefit of personalized playlists by mood or time of day. But is there a way to depersonalize playlists that should be more objective, like genre playlists? If not, can I recommend that this change be made globally?
5 Replies

For context, playlists like "Classic Punk" or "Skatepark Punks" are Made For me now, so personalized to my tastes, but "Alternative 70s" is not. It's curated normally and is the same for everyone. I'd like to be able to expand my horizons and listen to music outside of my usual listening routine with all three of these. I'm really not sure who is thinking "Yeah, I want to listen to Classic Punk today, but only the Classic Punk that's close to what I *usually* listen to. I'm gonna be bummed if there's something on there that I don't expect." That's not what those playlists are for, in my opinion. They're different from mood playlists or Daylists.

Hi there @hrbuchanan,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Spotify offers different genre playlists which are normally curated for all users, however they're not available for every genre there is and sometimes the playlists have different names. You can explore these by selecting the different genres and playlists that are shown to see which ones are Made for You and which ones are made by Spotify for all users.

Additionally, with key words you can simply try searching for different playlists made by other users in Spotify and check them out as well. 

If you think there's other users that would like your suggestion, you can go ahead and create an idea about it on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work and via this link you can read some useful tips on how to submit one. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

Hope this info helps. Take care 🙂

IvelinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I went ahead and submitted the idea: Click here to take a look. Thank you!

Hmmm, I don't think the Moderator has provided a solution. Yes, there are multiple Playlists available on Spotify, some Made For the user and some made for everyone.

The problem is almost all my favourite playlists have now become "Made For" me and there seems to be no way to turn off this feature and thus stop the repetitive echo chamber of including songs and artists I already know and have listened to previously (whether they like them or not). It seems to occur when there is a playlist we have listened to a lot in the past, or a genre that the AI has enough data on our usage to construct a "Made For" selection. 

@LadyPenelopeC this is super interesting. Can you check the following playlists and tell me which of them (if any) are "Made For" you: "Alternative 60s," "Alternative 70s," "Alternative 80s," "Alternative 90s"

I didn't consider the possibility that there may be default, non-AI versions of these playlists that only show up for folks who don't listen to that type of music super often. If they only become "Made For" a user after the AI thinks they listen to a lot of that type of music, that means it should be trivial to let us choose which version we want to listen to, at the very least.

Suggested posts