Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I prevent Spotify from using cellular data?

How do I prevent Spotify from using cellular data?

I have Spotify set to download my Playlists and I have "Download using cellular" set to off.  When I play music, I select "downloaded" from "My Library" and play the music from there. 

However,  my #1 data usage every month is Spotify at several GB.  And I keep getting charged data overage fees.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

22 Replies

Hi @rgames,

Thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community; I believe I have a solution for you:

You can avoid using cellular data by setting your app to offline mode when listening. You can learn how to do so here. 

There is a similar post here that better explains what is happening with your cellular data. I hope this clears up your issue, if not please reach back out and I'll find a way solve your problem!

So long for now!

Hi - thanks for the reply.

The problem with offline mode is that you have to keep turning it on and off to update playlists and authorize music already downloaded.  I've had multiple instances where I can't play downloaded music until I connect to a network (a real pain when on a multi-day backpacking trip).

The phone knows when it's connected to wifi so it's a simple block of code to do downloads and authorizations automatically.   I've used several other music/podcast apps that do exactly that and they work great.

So certainly the Spotify app can do the same.

So, other than offline mode, how do I prevent ths Spotify app from using cell data.

Thanks

Hi rgames,

The offline mode is the safest option to avoid unauthorized data usage because it's the built-in system that prevents the app from "going online". Even when the songs are downloaded to the device, if the offline mode is not activated, the app will try to connect to a network and stream the songs.

Try to do a clean reinstall to delete cache as it might be affecting the files, and if you have an SD card, remove it during this process. Keep in mind that any change you make while you are in offline mode will not sync to the app until it goes online. Let me know if this fixes the issue!

The app streams the music even if it's downloaded?  That can't be correct - that makes no sense.  Why would it do that?

I understand that I can *manually* prevent streaming. 

I'm trying to figure out how to make the app do it *automatically* because it's a pain to do it manually.  And other apps do it just fine (e.g. Double Twist, which I use for podcasts).

There must be a way to do that.  It's so simple and, again, other apps do it.

Hey @rgames,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We understand where you're coming from and we appreciate your feedback. However, even if the content is downloaded, the app will automatically connect to an available network and still use some data when listening to downloaded content.

The function to prevent this to happen in the Spotify app is by enabling the Offline Mode manually.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Nice to see this issue brought up again. Thank you for that. This solution is not what we are looking for.

"Do not use cellular data" is a general option which would be appreciated by many users who are careful about using data in streaming apps. Not the least because it enhances privacy.

Has this been resolved yet? I just found this issue after signing up for premium and I’m about to cancel and go back to Apple Music if not. 

Hi @OscarDC , I don't think you understand @rgames 's issue. They want it to be automated. And I have to say, so do I

It has not

how can an option to not use data simply not exist on an app like spotify? ah well, not the only thing i hate about spotify

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your posts here.

Seems to me that there is a general confusion going on here. Of course the Spotify app can be restricted from using your cellular data when downloading. To make the app only download when connected to WiFi, switch Download using cellular off in the app’s settings (under Music Quality). Check the complete information on our website here

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

This isn't what is wanted though. We want an option to say "don't use cellular data" without having to go into settings and toggle offline on/off ALL the time.

Or how about a WIFI only button?

Whatever it takes to NOT use Cell Data and NOT make us toggle a setting. Ever. Time.

I don't think you read the first post.  I have it configured the way you are describing. 

It doesn't work. 

I have "Download over cellular" set to off.   It still downloads over cellular.  That option has no effect on anything.

Per the other moderator, you have to manually enable/disable offline mode to prevent downloads over cellular.  That is consistent with my experience.   It's also stupid. 

Hi folks!

Here are some interesting insights from our tech folks on this that I'd like to share with you: 

"the way Spotify works is that it takes all data of a song while it's still being played. One of the things that the app checks is if the song's been scheduled to be downloaded (when on Wifi) and if it is, it will "download" it while on cellular, but with no extra data cost to the user.

In addition, the app will also prefetch data for the next 1-2 songs from the queue/playlist, and do the same thing there - if it's been scheduled to be downloaded, Spotify will put it in the downloads since it already has everything needed to "download" it.

If you're playing on shuffle, those songs could show up anywhere, of course, but shouldn't be more than two from the currently playing (and all the previously played) tracks."

So it seems that the app goes over a checklist during playback and if the currently playing song, as well as the next two songs from the queue have been marked to be downloaded, it will sort of resync them to your Downloads and prepare them for the next time you connect to a Wifi network.

Still, if you'd like to fully prevent the app from using cellular data, you can do so from your Android device's Settings > Apps > Spotify (depending on the manufacturer's ROM). Just note that this would make the whole app unusable when on cellular.

iOS users can find this in Settings > Cellular.

Hope this clears things up. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi @jrham ,

We just want a wifi-only option, like many apps have.

Offline mode is not a good option because you have to constantly turn it on and off again.

I switched from YouTube Music to Spotify and I can't believe that Spotify does not have a feature to not use mobile data. It's so cumbersome to have to remember to manually enable offline mode every time. If the generally awful YouTube Music app can do this, I am confident that Spotify can. 

I believe that you're trying to sow confusion and not really answer the question.

I've tried Spotify on my Android phone and if I disable Spotify from Using Cellular Data, it will not download via WiFi. In fact even the search option fails " There is no Internet Connnection". This does not happen if I pull the SIM card. I thought 9f doing this because my Tablet doesn't have a SIM and Spotify functions perfectly. I suspect Spotify tries to surreptitiously check your Device and make sure you're not installing it on 2 phones, because a user can only have one phone... This is Spotifys way to manage licenses....

So much for all the HogWash from Spotify.... and then saying Technical Team..... mired in Hog **bleep**.

They used to have it, but pulled it to limit abuse of licenses for a Single user. Don't believe the excuses they or the shills post here.

I don't know why Spotify is not giving straight answers. Offline mode is very obnoxious and needs to be switched on and off manually...

All we want is a simple Wifi only button. When on wifi, download whatever is needed including licenses. When not on wifi, do not download a single byte. I could be in Africa paying 10 dollars per megabyte, so just don't.

And yes, if needed, for licensing, you may require me to be on wifi once every fortnight. No problem. But then at least I can listen to Spotify at home and in my car or bike without worrying about ridiculous MBs of mobile downloads that are already on my phone.

Suggested posts