Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Inapropriate recomendations in Discover weekly

Inapropriate recomendations in Discover weekly

I'm from Ukraine and usually listened different music. But never listen russian, because I don't want in to be in my recommendations and because I don't like it usually. Last two weeks I listened ONLY ukrainian artists, even created playlist with them. And guess what I saw today in discover weekly? 11 songs from 30 are from russian artists. I'm shocked. I know that for western people, especially for developers, all Estern Europe are the same, but now they cross the line with this, because Russia invaded Ukraine and I never saw this huge amount of russian artists in my recommendations. Hope Spotify will be able to hire someone who see the difference and can write adeqate recommendtaion models.

18 Replies

Same problems.
I have had no russian music at all in any of my playlists or anywhere for more than a year.
Only Ukrainian, English, Polish, German songs, but still getting russian suggestions.

Horrible experience with the service, and no fix for now.

Hi there @volodimirchernov and @irinaai ,

Thanks for the posts.

You can remove certain content from your taste profile, so you don't get recommendations for it any longer. Check out this article to see how.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, Alex.

Sad that you ignored my topic and answer to Volodimir only.

I had usually from 5 to 10 tracks from russians, sometimes they use english names and it's hard to identify them. I need to search their profile and sometimes even google. It too much, so I stopped listen to discover weekly just to avoid russians that your algorithms put in my playlist.

You should create button that will disable music from specific region. I don't want to see russians in my playlists, your algorithms are very bad trained. Do something with this finally.

Hi there @irinaai,

The Taste Profile is a newly released feature on the Spotify platform. I understand that it must be frustrating to constantly get recommendations for music you don't enjoy, I've had the same happen to me. 

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why I appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestions with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. 

We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work. We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator

Are you kidding?

irinaai_0-1680689232002.png

Hey @irinaai,

Idea Submissions do get paused from time to time due to maintenance but this is only temporary and won't last long.
We'd encourage you to try again in a few days time! 🙂

Sorry about the inconvenience!

VasilModerator

+1, I have the same problem.
My friends and I have started getting a lot of Ukrainian songs in "Discover Weekly" recently.
We never listen to Ukrainian songs - we have only Russian / English songs in our playlists, I even created a couple of playlists with Russian / English songs.
More than half of my songs are usually Ukranian.

Spotify please create a button that will remove artists and songs from the recommendations by country. 
I assume Ukrainians don't want to listen to Russian music. Conversely, we don't want to listen to the Ukranian (up to Okean Elzy and maybe BoomBox - they're great).

:'- (

"won't last long" but until now it's still under "maintenance"

This is still happening(now in release radar as well) and I'm considering to switch to some other problem unless spotify stop pushing russian music, e.g. helping russia achiving their goal to russify us and erase Ukrainian identity

Same! Before listening to Discover weekly, I always check it doesn‘t have russian artists. It is super important because I don’t want to contribute to russian economy, the taxes are used to bomb us. I block russian artists and they STILL apprear on Discover. It is a SAFETY issue. 

The same problem, Spotify proposes a lot of russian artists each week in the Releases Radar. I am not listening to russsian music at all, do not have it liked or added to any of my playlists. I even started blacklisting any russian artists that were added to my Release Radar, but that does not help at all. Such things really bother and you start considering switching a platform. Can you please fix this issue or add a feature to block some region? ty!

From time to time, even stranger things happen to me.
When a Russian artist is added to a weekly track digest, I give that track a minus, and the next week I see the same track again in my recommendations 😫.
Is this the same magical Spotify recommendations everyone is talking about?

Yeap, same issue here

@Alex, as you can see from newer answers from users, this problem not only still exist but have been escaleted to Release Radar. Can you report it and suggest effective solutions that will finally work or we should switch a platform(planet?) to avoid russians and their content?

@Vasil, Any updates about this?

This recommendation system makes me feel like a political target as a ethnic Siberian, I listen mainly to music from Kazakhstan, Tartarstan, Siberia and Russia. Yet 70% of my list every week is Ukraine music. I do not want this, I prefer list based on my taste. I have already used this taste profile feature and done this on over 30 playlists now and still getting overloaded with this.

Please find a fix for this or if it's true stop targeting people.

Same problem here. I only listen to Russian music but it keeps recommending me Ukrainian music even though i never listen to it, i prefer Russian music, maybe its a bug within their algorithm? (I'm Russian/Ukrainian, calm down. It's called preference, sue me.)

I have the same situation. This has started happening over the last year and is only getting worse. If previously there were two or three Russian artists in the Discover Weekly playlist, now it is half, or even almost the entire playlist. I stopped listening to Russian artists back in 2022, I stopped following them and they are not in my personal playlists either. It's just incredible how rude and disrespectful Spotify is to its customers. That's not what I'm paying you for.

Suggested posts