Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Nothing plays on Spotify at all

Nothing plays on Spotify at all

Plan Free Country UK Device Samsung Galaxy A10 App Version 8.7.30.1221

Operating System Android 11 Honeycomb

My Question or Issue:

Nothing plays at all! Nothing on my playlists, nothing on  a Spotify recommended playlist, do a search for a song and nothing plays. Sitting in same room as WiFi router. I've logged in and out several times. I've done at least 4 totally clean installs. Cleared Cache every time. Logged out of all devices on PC app (which works fine) Totally removed app from iPad. Every time I click on something to play I just get the Green Circle/Arrow going around and around indefinitely.

13 Replies

Hey @MartSpot2022,

Thanks for posting in the Community and the troubleshooting steps you've already done.

Do you experience the same issue on both the iPad and the phone?

Is it possible for you to try logging in on the phone using a mobile data connection or a different WiFi connection? Does it work?

Do other mobile devices connected to your home WiFi experience the same? How about a different account?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

The iPad works fine, I've just deleted it to try and find the cause of the problem.

I have tried different WiFi sources and also Mobile Data. I can log in with no problems, it just doesn't play anything.

This problem is unique to Spotify as no other devices are having any issues at all.

Update: I've just noticed that whilst playing a song on my PC, it shows up on the phone, and also I can play/pause the song! but If I go to a playlist on the phone (a playlist with only 3 songs at present) it cannot play any of them, I just get the green circle going around and around.....so there's no issue with logging in or wifi/data connection.

Hey @MartSpot2022,

Thanks for the reply.

The reason for this experience may be, that you're using a free account to try to control the PC playback with the phone. There are certain limitations with free accounts. Here you can find out more about that.

Could you try using the account only on your phone without a connection to the PC and let us know how it went?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I don't want to control the PC with my phone! This Connect idea must be relatively new, but I don't need it.

I have been trying to get Spotify to work on my phone whilst away from home WiFi area, whether on mobile data or on another WiFi network.

So the issue with the PC is not relevant, unless a recent update has turned my phone into a Spotify Remote Control unit only!

If that's the case can I somehow go back to a previous version on the phone to get it to work again.

Hey @MartSpot2022,

Thanks for the reply.

The mobile app has certain limitations, which are not present on the desktop app. This is why the experience between using the desktop app and the mobile app differ as you've described.

This is due to the way a free tier account works. You can find more on that here.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I think you are missing the point here... the app on the phone does not play at all!

I have logged out of the PC version, and shut it down.

The phone app has been working fine for the last few years.

I can't even play a song that's on one of your playlists.

This has nothing to do with either Free or Premium, or any differences between PC and phone versions.

It simply stops working the moment I select any song to play.

On the PC version, in the devices list, the phone shows up as 'restricted playback'.

What is this and why is it showing up?

Hey @MartSpot2022,

Thanks for your reply.

We believe there is a newer version of the mobile app out now, so maybe it's worthwhile to try yet another clean reinstall to see if this will make a difference for you. 

If it doesn't help and in order for us to get a better understanding of what exactly happens on your end, share with us some screenshots or even a short video recording of the situation.  Also, please share the exact version number of Spotify on your mobile and show us how it's being listed as restricted on your PC. This way we can take a closer look and give you a better advice.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Right, I have just done my 3rd Clean Install, it is Version 8.7.32.1554

Samsung Galaxy A10 running Android Marshmallow 11 Security Patch updated 1/04/22. The result is the same, nothing plays. This is the same for both WiFi or Data.

I have tried it at home and other locations.

I can log in with no problems. Press the Home Button. I select a playlist that is suggested by Spotify, "UK Top 40 - 20th May 2022" by sonymusicuk.

On the phone screen it states

"This playlist is empty. Go to Home to find playlists just for you."

Obviously I have checked this playlist on the PC version, and it shows 40 songs, 2hrs 5mins. This is NOT my playlist, yet I can't play it.

Looking at the PC version, this is on the Connect to a Device info:

Listening on : This Computer                (all in green text)

MSN Gal A10 : Unavailable to control  (all text in grey)

Sky Q 1TB Box2713 : Spotify Connect (all text in white)

Please note I have never attempted to use Spotify with the Sky box.

It doesn't matter what song or podcast I click on, all I get is the green circle going round and round.

I have logged out of the PC version, logged out of the phone version. Logged in again only on the phone version, and it still doesn't respond.

I also don't want/need my phone to control the PC version. They have always worked independently, and that is how I would like to continue doing so.

Hey @MartSpot2022,

Thanks you for the detailed description!
Could you please attach screenshots as @Kiril has suggested as well?
We need them for further troubleshooting purposes.

We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Much appreciated!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Screenshot_20220529-130611_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot_20220529-130602_Spotify.jpg

Hey @MartSpot2022

Thanks for sending us this info. 

Would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your phone to see if the issue persists with a different account? 

On another note, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update. Also, we suggest that you check if the OS of your phone has any pending updates. 

Lastly, could you let us know if you're using an SD card? If so, we suggest that you try removing it > restarting your phone > reinstalling the app once again to see if that makes the difference. 

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

spotify worked fine on my phone using my daughter's free account.

No updates pending for operating system.

However, I did follow the last suggestion and removed the SD card. Did a complete re-install, and everything has been working fine for the last week. I have put the SD card back in and no issues have re-occurred.

I had checked SD card for spotify entries and found nothing before this test, so I still don't understand what happened.

I'm good for now, and thank you for your help, especially with the final suggestion!!!

Suggested posts