Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Songs don't launch

Solved!

Songs don't launch

Plan

Premium

Country

France

Device

Asus Laptop

Operating System

Windows 11

Hello, I have the following problem when using Spotify on my laptop for a few weeks (everything works fine on my phone) : when I type the name of an artist in the research field on Spotify, and try to launch its most popular songs, or to launch an album, nothing happens. I can only launch the radio linked to the artist, or my liked songs, but when I click "Play" on the first song of an album as an example, it stops the current lecture and nothing more happens (not even an error message).

It tried to open my session on a different laptop, it works fine. Maybe it is a problem with my laptop, but this is so unusual that I don't know how to fix it at all. I did already contact the Spotify support, try to uninstall/reinstall Spotify after deleting all files on the computer ... nothing have worked. Does anybody have and idea ?

Thank you very much,

Regards

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Chris_Dthmt,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

We've forwarded your feedback to our internal teams so they can look into it. Rest assured we'll let you know as soon as we have any new information to share, so stay tuned!

Just to double-check, could you try adding one of the unplayable songs into a playlist (instead of adding it to your Liked Songs) to see if it would play then from the artist page? Try playing it from the playlist afterwards to see if you'd experience the same behavior.

You also said that you had another laptop where you didn't experience this issue. Is it on the same OS (Windows 11)?

I should also mention that if you're using any VPN services on your laptop, try disabling them temporarily and then restarting the Spotify app.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

157 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Spain

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Even though up until a few weeks ago I was using Spotify with no issues, now I can't play most of the songs if I found them by searching on the search bar. The playlists, saved by me or not, work just fine, and the songs I have on my library don't give me issues either. I noticed I can't add songs to library nor any of my playlists if they can't be played.

It appears to be completely random too: I can play Michael Jackson and not Kendrick Lamar.2019.02.08-15.24.png

This is how it looks.

I've tried reinstalling Spotify, deleting folders and cache, updating QuickTime, using the WindowsStore version, and nothing works. I can use Spotify on my phone and MacBook, just not with Windows.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Hey @arminecraftyt, welcome to the Community!

I'd recommend checking your hosts file: see this Answer article on how to!

Sometimes some adblockers or other third party software may edit the file, eg for avoiding ads. However, Spotify-related addresses in hosts, such as 
0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com
will very likely break your Spotify client.

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey Sebasty,

Wow, that was fast. You couldn't have been more precise, it was exactly what you mentioned in your message. Thanks for such a quick feedback, following the help was a breeze.

Ad blockers can be quite messy huh, even if you've uninstalled them all, they leave a trace behind. I supposed it was something of that sort due to only being affected in my Windows machine, but I couldn't figure out how to solve it. Thanks a lot!

I only registered to this forum just to say THANK YOU!

I've been having the same issue for a couple of months now and nothing seemed to help. Did some googling but unfortunately didn't come across a solution and I was kind of getting sick and tired of it..

But this morning I was glad to discover that someone else had put all my troubles into words.. and the hosts thing worked like magic!

🙂

I cannot play any song I find via searching or browsing albums, UNLESS it is in one of my playlists. I can add any song I want to a playlist and it's immediately able to be played. Once I remove it, it cannot be played.

I'm using the spotify desktop app on win 10 pro. I have tried logging out and back in, as well as completely uninstalling and reinstalling spotify, but no luck.

An answer on a similar issue said to check the hosts file to see if an adblocker was blocking spofity addresses, but my hosts file is blank (besides the default comments).

I have no idea what could be causing this behavior - it started very suddenly yesterday. I didn't install any new programs or windows updates between spotify working and not working.

When you made reinstall, have you deleted or simply renamed folder

>>> "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Spotify", if not try to rename "spotify.old" [if doesn`t help you can delete newly created and rename back old one]

When I uninstalled, the uninstaller deleted that folder for me and a new one was created when I reinstalled. Unfortunately that didn't seem to fix the problem.

More information: if I add a song to a playlist, play it, then remove it, I can still play it until I restart the app. Also, the web version works just fine, it's only the desktop version that is affected.

If it is something wrong in registry you can try to download free version of revo uninstaller , extract zip and run RevoUPort.exe
Here is video . I`m selecting all found registry entries/files and deleting them, you can try [P.S.: You should always verify when deleting registry entries ].  It might help or not...

Same here! Also my liked songs and albums/artists library became completely empty.

I am also having this issue, songs will only play if they exist in a playlist that I have access to or an album/artist/song radio. This includes curated playlists and auto-generated mixes.

My liked songs, artists and albums are still there though. Songs on my "Liked Songs" list will play but albums in my album library won't necessarily.

This only happens on the spotify desktop client, both the version downloaded from Spotify and from the Microsoft store. I'm on Windows 10, version 21H1, build 19043.1766

Hey there,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

This is an interesting observation, for which we'd need a video recording to fully understand what is going on on your end. Could someone prepare one?

In the meantime you can try removing the albums from your collection, if you have many of them saved. This alleviates similar issues on a mobile device, although the apps differ in many ways, it's worth a try.

We'd also need the exact Spotify version installed on the desktop and if the issue is occurring with a different account.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hi, thanks for the response.

Here are the exact specifics of the issue as I am experiencing it:

• I can play any song from any of my playlists
  • I can play any song from any playlist I have access to
  • I can play the songs even if I do so from their original album
  • I CANNOT play any other song that is not on one of my playlists - whether from search, auto-play, or the album itself
  • If I add a song to one of my playlists, it immediately becomes playable
  • If I then remove the song from said playlist, I can still play it UNTIL I close and re-open Spotify, at which point I cannot play it
  • I have no albums saved to my library, only playlists
  • If I add an album to my library, I still cannot play any song in it, unless that song also appears in at least one of my playlists
  • No new applications or system updates were installed between it working and not working

System info of my home PC, which has this issue:

Spotify for Windows 1.1.87.612.gf8d110e2
Last working version unknown, but it was working on 2022-06-17
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19044 build 19044

System info of my work PC, which does NOT have this issue:

Spotify for Windows 1.1.87.612.gf8d110e2
(updated from 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819, which also did not have the issue)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19044 build 19044

The web player does not have the issue, on either PC. Spotify on my (android) phone also does not have the issue.

Attached is a screen recording demonstrating that playlist songs can be played, other songs cannot, and that adding a song to a playlist makes it playable.

I hope some of this information is helpful in narrowing down the bug!

Having the same issue here.  Can only play songs that are liked or in a playlist.  This is only affecting my PC all other devices work fine.  I have done a full uninstall and clean download - still happens.  Logged into Spotify on my PC with another account and still happens.

It is not an account issue.

Same here

I have the exact same issue and it doesnt seem to be fixed by any methods listed on and off the site.

Hey folks, 

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the information shared. 

It would be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device with the issue - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

If the issue persists and if you haven't done it yet, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running. With this, we can keep investigating further.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have logged in with another account and the issue was on that account too.

Windows 10

Spotify for Windows
1.1.88.612.gcc529952

Device name DESKTOP-JO7N5ND
Processor
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
Device ID 942B4A53-34EF-475A-A461-806606C414A2
Product ID 00325-80439-46483-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Hi @IanSc,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, could you uninstall the app once more, then restart the computer in Windows Safe Mode and reinstall the app? To enter Safe Mode, type "msconfig" into your computer's Search bar > hit enter on System Configuration > select the ‘Boot’ tab > select 'Safe Boot (with networking)'. Then, restart your computer. Afterwards, download Spotify and try logging back in before restarting your computer again. 

We'll keep the music down until we hear back from you. 

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hi @AndresM

I did a full uninstall, restarted with safe boot and reinstalled, downloaded again, reinstalled, logged in and then restarted and unfortunately the problem is still there.

Any further thoughts?

Suggested posts