Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

APP FREEZES AFTER SKIPPING FEW SONGS

APP FREEZES AFTER SKIPPING FEW SONGS

After a few skips of songs, the app freezes on one song and stops working. I have to close and reopen the app all the time.

I did a clean install, cleared the cache, deleted some songs for some space, update the app. I use an ipod.

please help!!! I cannot find any similar issue
thanks

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey there folks,

We've noticed that this thread is getting increased views and we have a new one explaining the situation here.

If you have any input regarding this - feel free to share it in the new thread! 🙂

Hope you'll find this useful.

46 Replies

After a few skips of songs, the app freezes on one song and stops working. I have to close and reopen the app all the time.

I did a clean install, cleared the cache, deleted some songs for some space, update the app. I use an ipod.

please help!!! I cannot find any similar issue

Hey @Lau1411,

Thanks for posting in the Community and the troubleshooting tried so far.

What is the app version installed on your device? What is the model of the iPod?

Does the same happen with a different account?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hello Dian,

Thanks for your response.

I am using the ipod touch 7th generation (software version 15.7.4) and the latest Spotify update.

I didn’t try with an other profile,

thanks

Hey @Lau1411,

Thanks for the reply.

What's the exact version of the Spotify app you've installed? Also try a different account to see if it brings any change. Do you have a different device to test the app on with your current account as well?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hello Dian,

no it didnt solve the issue with another device and I don’t have another account to try it with 😞

The issue is still happening

I have been having the EXACT same issue! I also have the same iPod and done everything listed above and the problem persists. I should mention this happens when I use downloaded playlists offline. 

it’s been this way for about 4 weeks. I’ve updated everything on the iPod and Spotify. The current version is 8.8.30.499.

My fear is that apple is slowly making the app obsolete so that iPod users will have to use their phones.  

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

To continue investigating this case. as it could be related to network restrictions as well, if you're using a VPN, turn it off and try again. In case you don't use a VPN, would you mind checking with a different Wi-Fi connection? If you don't have another one available, you can use a mobile data hotspot just for testing purposes.

Also, could you check how many songs you can skip before the app freezes itself? This will give us a better look at the issue.

Lastly, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it out.

Thank you for your cooperation. We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

having same exact issue

Hey @dandanthecanman,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sharing with us the make/model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're running there? It'd be awesome if you could send us any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

On another note, do you notice if this happens when trying to play some specific playlist, or does it happen no matter what you're trying to listen to?

Lastly, and just to confirm, have you already tried reinstalling the app on the affected device? If you haven't yet, give it a try and let us know how it goes. You can follow the steps in this article to do it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I'm having the exact same issue. This is so frustrating. 

My Question or Issue

My iPod Touch 7th generation is exactly two years old. It's been fine with the Spotify app, using both offline and connected to wifi. But the past month it starts freezing.

Spotify works fine connected to my wifi, but when I'm not connected to my wifi (so on a walk or at the gym; both offline and connected to the gym wifi), it will freeze up. It will keep playing the current song, but if I click on another song or use the shuffle button to select something, it won't play the new song. I have to restart the iPod for it to stop. Of course it will happen 6-8 times over the course of an 90 minutes.

I'm at my wits end. I've removed the app and re-downloaded it. I've tried not shuffling it, I've tried waiting 5 seconds before skipping songs, nothing works. It happens both offline and when connected to wifi. The storage is 15 GB/32GB on my iPod. There is no consistency to when it starts skipping/freezing.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPod Touch 7th Generation

Spotify Version

I started having this problem a few weeks ago.  I figured out that when the artwork doesn't load the app freezes.  I disabled the Canvas feature in settings.  It's still freezes but not as often.  As far as I know there's no way to disable artwork.  If I figure out something I'll update.

Hey there @icequeen877

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know the exact OS version of your iPod? Also, it's worth checking if it has any pending updates. 

On another note, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your iPod to see if they can replicate this with their own account?

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey @icequeen877,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, would you mind sharing with us the info we've asked for above here? That way, we can isolate what's happening on your side. Don't forget to send us the make/model and OS of the affected device, along with the Spotify version you're running there.

Lastly, we'd like to gather as much information as possible. Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event, such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Plan

Premium

Country

United States of America

Device

iPhone 6s 

Operating System

iOS 14

My Question or Issue

For the past few weeks, whenever I would skip a song, the app freezes up. The buttons become greyed out and spotify is stuck playing the song that I attempted to skip. If I try to close out the app and restart, the song will continue to play for up to 10 seconds while the app is completely closed. I restart the app and then the app will work normally until I try to skip more songs. Sometimes it freezes the first time I try to skip a song, and sometimes it takes a few skips before it freezes, but I can never get more than 20 minutes without it freezing. 

I have tried logging out/logging back in, deleting/reinstalling, changing my internet, clearing cache, toggling the battery optimizer on and off, toggling gapless playback on and off, changing my headphones, and every option that google has suggested but nothing will work. 

I have over 60gbs of free space, and my app and phone are updated to the most recent versions. I did a speed test for my internet and it said that everything was fine. This issue has persisted for weeks and I am at a loss. 

Hi there @benihime,

Thanks for reaching out. Try and perform a clean reinstall as described here, if you haven't already. You most likely triedall the steps in there already, but probably not in this order. If the issue persists, could you please provide us the following:

• Is this on all devices or only on specific one(s)? How about the webplayer?
  • Do you have any cache clearing or third party battery or memory optimization apps active?
  • Do you use a VPN?
  • Screenshots or a video of the behaviour

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello I am having the same issue, it started a few months ago. It is pretty consistent whether or not I am using downloaded playlists or streaming. Once I skip around 4 songs it freezes on the song and the app stops responding to any buttons.  The song continues playing.  The time on the song stays at 0:00 and once the song is done it will go to the next song in the playlist while still showing the last song, and all buttons will be unresponsive.  The only solution is to close the app.  I am using an ipod 7th generation ios 15.7.5 spotify version 8.8.38.508 

I have exactly the same issue except that I am using an iphone 7 plus

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies.

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and share your feedback with us.

We'll forwarded it to the relevant team, however, we can't confirm when or if it will be addressed. We'll work on improving the functionality, as Spotify constantly strives to refine the user experience.

In the meantime, please make sure to keep app up to date with the latest version, so you don't miss out any important fixes or improvements.

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts