Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 14

Operating System

iOS 16.4.1

My Question or Issue

When playing from a playlist, the audio dips out in the last second of the song. It cuts off then fades in very quickly. Sounds almost like a sidechain if that means anything. This has not been happening until the past couple days. For a while it would fix itself if I closed and reopened the app, but that’s stopped working. It does not happen with albums as far as I can tell. I played the same song from both the playlist page and the album/single page and the dip only happened in the playlist. It is not playlist specific, it’s happening on any playlist I play. This is happening with songs I have downloaded, so it’s a problem with the player and not with streaming. I have gapless playback enabled and no crossfade, and the issue is not between songs but within one song itself. It is extremely annoying and is really disrupting my listening experience. Driving me insane. I don’t understand how the player can not function properly. 

Edit: I attached a video example of this happening with multiple songs. Hopefully you can hear it. Very annoying, especially for songs with big endings or transitions into other songs.

Edit again: Also attached a video showing how this only happens in playlist and not in albums or singles.

51 Replies

Hey @cukeumber!

The issue could be coming from the Crossfade feature, since it will only work with playlists if Gapless playback is also enabled. Could you double-check if Crossfade is indeed set all the way to the left to 0 sec/Off?

In case the issue persists, try a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps here.

Keep us posted on this. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Crossfade is set to 0, and the dip only affects the end of the previous song, not the beginning of the next song. This issue is also occurring when I play music from my laptop, so I don’t think it’s a platform-specific bug and doubt a clean reinstall will fix it. I’ll do that as a last resort but I have like 2,000 songs downloaded and I’d really like to not have to redownload all of those.

Hi @cukeumber,

Thanks for the reply. So the behaviour is the same across all devices, is that correct? How does it look in the webplayer? If possible, could you also log in with a different account, from a friend or relative for example, and test if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Logging into a different account had the same problem, but surprisingly the webplayer works just fine. No dip at all.

Hey there @cukeumber

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your devices is up to date?

On another note, we checked the screen recordings you've sent and seen that the issue was happening while you were listening through Airpods. Would you mind checking if the same happens while listening without them?

We'll be on the lookout. 

Susan_GPModerator

I just updated to iOS 16.5 yesterday and the problem’s still there. And I just checked and yes it still happens when playing through the speakers rather than through my earbuds.

Hi @cukeumber,

Thanks for your reply. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share this report with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team. We can't confirm when or if this will be fixed, but we'd recommend keeping the app up to date so you don't miss out on any possible fixes or improvements. 

Rest assured, we'll also keep an eye on more reports about this so we can further investigate. 

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I’m having the exact same issue, and I get this both with AirPods and with a Jack-adaptor, as well as on my google nest hub!

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iPhone 12 Pro

Operating System

iOS 16

My Question or Issue

Every time a song ends it will stutter and cut out while skipping to the next. crossfade 0 gapless playback on, tried with these settings changed, anyone know a fix? i don't want crossfade on because it will fade in the next song.

I have the exact same issue. It does not happen when you play songs in sequence (like on an album) and stay off the shuffle.

But when you shuffle, it always happens. Even when songs end quietly, I can still hear it happening. Like you said, véry annoying for songs with big endings. Hope they fix this soon.

I did a clean reinstall, did nothing.

It seems a lot of people are having this issue for quite some time now. I hope it is still being looked into?

It still happens for me on playlists even when I don’t shuffle.

Alright folks,

Thank you for your input!

In order to aid us in the investigation, could you please provide the following info, if you haven't already:

• Your device's make, model and OS version.
  • The version of Spotify you're running.
  • All troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

iPhone SE iOS 16.5.1

Spotify version 8.8.48

I tried all the troubleshooting steps in this thread.

I'm having the same issue, it occurs about 1 second before the song ends and it is obnoxious and jarring.

iPhone 13 mini iOS 16.5.1

Spotify version 8.8.48.499

I've also tried all the troubleshooting steps discussed so far. It only occurs on my phone and started within the last 3 months.

Thanks for the reports everyone!

We've passed on the new info to our tech folks who are investigating this. As always, rest assured we'll keep you posted here as soon as we have any new information to share, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, short screen recordings which capture this behavior in action would still be greatly appreciated, so feel free to share how things look and sound on your end, if you haven't already - we'll forward them to our internal teams. The more examples we have, the merrier!

YordanModerator

Hey everyone,

Our tech folks would like to know if you have Automix toggled in the app's Settings, and if you do, try disabling it and restart the app to see if the issue would still occur.

Keep us posted on this. Cheers!

YordanModerator

I did have automix on. Turned it off, closed the app, and opened it back up. Still had the problem. Tried restarting my phone entirely but no dice with that either.

Same here. I did have automix on, turned it off, restarted completely and it does nothing to help the problem.

another piece of information that might help: the audio dip happens at the exact moment when visually the song changes to the next. As you probably know, you can visually see the song change to the next one just a bit before the audio actually goes over. It’s in this second the audio dips. Almost like the app has a problem now understanding that the song is over and another shuffled one is starting.

Suggested posts