Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't sync local files to iPhone

Solved!

Can't sync local files to iPhone

I've tried looking for answers for a couple of hours on this forum and all over online, but I can't find any solutions and I'm getting frustrated.

Basically, it seems to be a pretty common issue but I can't find a fix.  When I make a playlist on my desktop with songs from Spotify mixed with local files, the Spotify songs will appear on my phone but the local files appear greyed-out and unplayable on my mobile.

The root issue seems to be that desktop client isn't recognizing my mobile under 'Devices' even when they're both logged into the same account.  I have even tried changing network settings to no avail.  If I was able to have the client recognize my iPhone and then sync, I believe the local files would show up the phone.

If anyone has any ideas that have worked for them, please share.  I am currently under my free-trial period and will cancel before the 30 days unless I can get a fix for this.

70 Replies

Having read dozens of threads on how to get local files synced to my iPhone, I stumbled across a solution that I hadn't read about elsewhere.

I think a lot of routers these days automaticaly create a "guest" network that improves your home network's security while allowing for simple passwords and easy access for visitors. The guest network has strict access controls. Switching my iPhone from the guest network to the "full" network (with the really long password) instantly fixed my problem - my iPhone then showed up under the Devices tab of the desktop client and readily synced all my local files to the phone. Prior to this, the tracks appeared on the phone, but were grayed out and unable to sync.

Judging by all the threads I've read, it seems there are several different problems with getting sync to work - and several different solutions. Hope this one works for you - it's an easy fix.  

I have this same problem with my iPhone 4S. I have Macbook pro (mavericks) and i have like... over 100 local files listed but only 6 got synched and it's not really that easy to even connect the phone. The phone appears under devices but the local files list is just on pending and it only syncs those I have added to a playlist that I've put available online. So what should I do so I'll get all of my local files to sync?

Also all of my offline tracks don't even sync idk why but that's manageable problem. I'd just want my local files to sync so I could listen to my songs that aren't (yet) on spotify

Marked as solution

The instructions here say that you have to put local files into playlists and synch those @katrinascarlett .

I had this same problem, and had been frustrated for about 2 months (maybe longer).

I was trying to sync my Windows 7 laptop to my iPhone.

I figured that it was an iOS8 that Apple needed to fix, or maybe that Spotify was focused on getting that iPad update out (finally).

But then today, I had the same problem syncing our home PC to my wife's android phone (different Spotify account).

So a big thanks to this forum for having the answer.

mahmoodsab  got me on the right track.

I needed to open up the ESET security application -> Tools -> Network Connections

and then right click on the Spotify listing and choose "Temporarily Allow Communcation for the Process".

Worked like a charm for both machines, and both phones....in fact it worked amazing fast.

Spotify should make this troubleshooting tip a bit easier to find.

I had this problem aswel. Spotify would see my device and would sync all the playlistst except for the local files. My solution was just to add the local songs i keep on my laptop to the playlist that i made available for offline use. I added the songs with drag & drop. I hope this works for some of you.

Try following this link! It worked for me 🙂
http://www.igeeksblog.com/spotify-local-files-not-syncing-to-iphone/

This isn't even a solution?

UNBELIEVABLE!. 10euro every month and there is no contact with spotify at all. I've tried every every solution I could find on this forum and none of them worked. I'm really upset about the lack of support for PAID service here.

This forum is not an official place for support.

You can contact support here:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Found a fix (worked for me)
1. make a new playlist (on computer) 

2. call it local files

3. drag all your local files into this playlist

4. close and open spotify on ios device (in my case iphone)

5. tick the box saying "available offline"

6. they should start downloading and your problem will be fixed

Hopefully this works for you guys too

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This fixed it for me!

This does NOT work for me. It syncs my Local Files, EXCEPT for ones by Taylor Swift, the ones I actually want on my Spotify BECAUSE she removed her music.

Hi, I also have this problem with SOME songs ... 😞

Using iPhone 5 and Spotify on Windows 8.1, both connected to the same network.

Most of the local files sync just great, but some *artists* would not sync. For example, Tool. Any other local file syncs immediately, the tool songs appear as grayed out on my phone and do not play (file not synced, bla-bla).

On my computer, the same file in the same playlist plays just fine.

I tried creating a new playlist - and added just these songs - same result. Windows firewall has spotify explicitly allowed for the internal network.

Any ideas?

Make sure all your music files are in a folder that Spotify searches in to retrieve local files (ex: iTunes or Downloads).

If not, add all the files to that folder. Also, make sure your folder is being searched in by going to Edit > Preferences > Local Files.

Have your computer and iPhone connected to the same WiFi network.

Then, make sure you have "Available Offline" selected for a particular playlist on both your iPhone and your Computer.

Worked for me.

The firewall setting still works in 2015! Thanks for this fix!

Thanks alot Nordis! I've spent alot of time trying to figure it out, only to find out my firewall was giving me a hard time 🙂

Interestingly, like a lot of people when it came to turning off the firewall, turned off the windows firewall. Remember there is a built in firewall in your hub/router, you need to disable that to get them to sync. I recommend turning it straight back on afterwards, wouldnt like to see anyone getting hacked as a result of my advice.

I had the same problem and did the following and then it worked:

Turn on "offline mode" on my laptop

Turn off "offline mode" on my laptop

quit and restart spotify on my iphone

and then it worked...

may worth a try?

Marked as solution

I got mine to work just now!

The problem is that you need to go to Windows Firewall and mine showed SEVERAL spotify.exe that were allowed, but two spotify.exe were disabled. I opened them up and unblocked those from the firewall and voila!

Go to START, then type "firewall"

Under Windows 7, you'll get the firewall screen

On the main screen (there's three), scroll down to where it shows "View and Create Firewall Rules."

Click on Inbound Rules

Scroll through to spotify.exe - mine had at least 5 or 6! Scroll sideway and verify that they are allowed.

If it shows a red circle, it is currently disabled. Right click and then go to Properties.

Click "enabled" and then "Allow Connection."

Do this for all the spotify.exe you see.

Instant success for me!

Suggested posts