Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading music on Apple Watch

Downloading music on Apple Watch

Hey folks!

Here's a few tips & tricks to share about downloading music from Spotify on your Apple Watch! - If you're looking to get started, check this out!

Not seeing the 'Download to Apple Watch'-button yet? Make sure your Spotify app is up-to-date the Spotify app is installed on your Apple Watch as well! 

To download music, you'll need a Apple Watch Series 3 or newer on watchOS 6.0 or higher (7.1 or higher is recommended).

Want to download Liked Songs? Just add them to a playlist and use the steps from this page to download them to your Apple Watch. 

Downloads keep stopping? Make sure your Apple Watch is on and the Spotify app is open on your Watch. After a bit of time, your Apple Watch might suspend the app if you're not using it actively so be sure to keep it in focus.

Downloads not working? Your Apple Watch battery might be a bit too low to download. Make sure your Apple Watch is charged or on a charger to start downloading. 

Want to check (the status of) your downloads? On your Apple Watch, swipe right to Your Library and choose for 'Downloads'. There you should be able to find everything you've downloaded and the status of your downloads.

Got any more tips to share? Post them here!

If you're looking to get help with downloading music from Spotify on your Apple Watch, create a new thread on the iOS Help-board.

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Top Answer
Ver
Spotify Legend

Hey everyone,

From the comments here, we can see that many of you experience different types of issues.

In order to avoid potential confusion we've summed them up below.

Keep in mind that there is a limit of songs per playlist (50) that you can download on the watch. If you try downloading a playlist that contains more than 50 songs, issues might occur. In order to avoid that, you can divide the songs in to different playlists.

In case you've added new songs to a downloaded playlist, you'll need to redownload the playlist to your watch so the new songs can be included.

If you try downloading a playlist and it gets stuck at the first song, we recommend that you follow the steps under the Status Update in this thread.

If you've downloaded a podcast episode or a playlist and you can't play them, you can give the steps below a go if you haven't already. In most cases they resolve such issues:

• Restart the watch
  • Re-pair the watch with your phone
  • Reinstall the app on the watch
  • Reinstall the app on your phone
  • Try a different internet connection

If you still experience one of the above mentioned issues or another type of an issue, you can write in the relevant Help Board. That way we can look into them separately.

Be sure to also check out @Hubo's tips and tricks regarding this feature.

Thanks!

125 Replies

Also worked for me, tried streaming the playlist directly from watch then the download kicked in...

The option to download playlists to the Apple Watch appeared on my iPhone today. I tried downloading multiple playlists to my Apple Watch (one by one) and it doesn't work. It stays stuck on "1 of x downloading". I tried again after charging both devices to 100%, force quitting the app on both devices, rebooting both devices, reinstalling both apps, nothing has worked.

Spotify users have been waiting for this feature for years, then when they finally do announce the feature is first has to roll out... slowly..., then when it finally appears on your devices, it doesn't work.

Sébastien
0DF6F542-4842-4238-BB54-46DB11EF4919.png

It’s true, and it’s ridiculous. There’s an idea page to get it removed: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Remove-Apple-Watch-50-Song-Limit/idc-p/5231204#M13...

Mine arrive today as well. It does take some time to show up in downloads on my Apple Watch. Once the download completes, it works great. 

I am thankful for this feature. 

My comment to Spotify is that this roll out caused some confusion and frustration for your customers because it took longer than expected. 
For future roll outs, please set better expectations.

I’m this close || to cancelling my sub. We’ve been waiting for this for ages. I’m a premium subscriber for a long time and it’s pretty crappy you’re letting some users have this and not others. I’m going for a really long run this weekend and don’t want to take my phone. If it’s not enabled by then I’ll be redoing my playlists on Apple Music and moving on. Sort it out people!

The option to download playlists to Apple Watch finally showed up on my iPhone late last night when I opened the app.  I selected 3 playlists to download and left it there overnight.  This morning all three playlists were on my Apple Watch but the playlists had 50, 49, and 48 songs (not sure why but I'm just glad that I now have offline playlists).  I quickly tested the downloaded playlists and they're all appeared to play just fine.  I tested with the watch not connected to my iPhone and Wifi turned on and off.  I will soon actually test it offline when I go on a run in the next couple days and will download more playlists to see how many songs it will download.  I don't understand the reason behind placing song limit on downloaded playlists for offline listening.

iPhone12, iOS 14.6, Spotify 8.6.40.1248

Apple Watch S6, watchOS 7.5

My Apple Watch can only download 50 songs per playlist, I still have the extra space but it still caps at 50, I don’t know if this is a bug or if it was intended but it definitely adds more unnecessary hoops to jump through.

I choose a few playlist to download on my Apple Watch (Serie 3 cellular) and let both my iPhone and my Apple Watch on charger for OVERNIGHT and it only downloaded about 5-6 songs per playlist (total 15-16 songs)... what's the problem???

Same here! Definitely a deal stopper here, since all my playlist have around 300-400 songs.

The feature is still not available.

Spotify, when will it be made available to everyone? I am also close to canceling the subscription.

The attitude is just so annoying.

That's still 5-6 more than on my Apple Watch. Still at 1 of 50 after 48 hours.

Sébastien

The feature has been visible on my devices for 3 days now but the Apple Watch is stuck on "1 of 50 downloading" and has been for 3 days. I'm on an Apple Watch Series 4 and iPhone 11 Pro. The Apple Watch has about 8GB of free storage, fully charging both devices, keeping them close to each other, chaning wi-fi connections, reinstalling on both devices, etc. haven't solved the issue. What is going on?

Sébastien

As a first step it's ok I guess however, a lot more work needs to go into this:

• Can't download an entire artist or top songs. Have to select an album
  • Podcasts is a mess. I don't want to have to download episodes manually. If you provide podcasts, your app should behave accordingly. Automate the downloading ie. download newest episodes automatically, keep x number of episodes, only specific podcasts, etc.
  • Allow me to manage my downloads on the phone, it's a bigger screen! I don't want to fiddle with the watch app.
  • Allow me to check the progress of transfers to the watch on my phone. See above.

Come on spotify, get your act together!

Spotify, can you confirm that you can only download 50 songs per playlist?

Because no matter what I do, more than 50 songs will not load.
Too bad.

Why are only 50 songs being download onto my Apple Watch from a playlist?

Hi there @MusicMatthias,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Could you let us know the model and OS version of your iPhone and Apple Watch? We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Same happening here

Hi there @viclins,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you let us know the following:

• OS version of your iPhone
  • OS version of your watch

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Sure!

My iOS version is: 14.6

My Apple Watch version is: 7.5

My Spotify app version is: 8.6.40.1248

Thank you.

Hi @viclins,

Thank you for getting back in touch and for the provided information.

We've now passed the information to the right team that will have a closer look into this.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts