Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Feedback Request: iOS Offline Issues

Solved!

Feedback Request: iOS Offline Issues

Hello everyone! Spotify here.

We are looking into customer reports about issues with offlined playlists on iOS devices (music which is downloaded to your phone so you can play without an internet connection). Our investigation shows that some folks might have experienced some issues with this so we were hoping you could answer some questions to help us diagnose the problem.

1. Have you made a playlist available offline which you could not play without any internet connection?

2. Have you made a playlist available offline which constantly downloads when you start Spotify?

Thanks,
Team Spotify

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you try disabling all firewalls on your computer? Spotify can't sync unless the desktop application can see your device under "Devices" in the desktop client.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

As Peter said, turn off any firewalls plus any antivirus and other security apps temporarily. Also, check to see that UPnP is enabled on your router. 

Marked as solution

No, it should always play the local copy if available.

Peter

Marked as solution

I found a solution ! I delete the Iphone Device on the spotify Account on the website.

And now Synchronisation is working again:)

Marked as solution

Which ipod exactly do you have?

Marked as solution

Hello,

I deleted Spotify and updated my software to iOS 8.0.2.

I have since reinstalled Spotify and it all seems to be working again. Phew!

Thanks,

Lotte

Marked as solution

Hey everyone! These offline issues should be sorted in our latest release out today (1.9.0). Please let us know if you continue to have an trouble in offline mode with this update. 

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this for you all! 

Marked as solution

Yes - in response to question #1.  

I have made multiple playlists and tried to listen to them offline on my iphone 4S but only 1 song is available.  I gave my phone plenty of time to download the playlist while in wifi and still only 1 song downloaded.  This is very frustrating especially since I am a premium user. 

506 Replies

Hi everybody,

Spotify developers are going to closely monitor this thread and reach out to some of you who report back that you experience problems with downloading playlists.

We're especially interested in those of you who experience the problem regularly, please get in tocuh with us!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Babar

Spotify Product Owner

I have experience #1.  In my case the app (on an ipad) will continue to try to log in into spotify even after is set to offline mode.  I has happenned to me a couple of times in areas that I don't have access to cel/wifi and I haven't been able to listen to my offline playlist.

I have constantly no ability to sync any songs of any kind. Using iOS 6.1.3 on iPhone 4, iPad 2 and with more then 4GB memory on each. No matter whether it's local files or not, 5 song playlists or 500 and it simply sits at "pending" on the desktop. The new 0.7.2 update does not solve the issue.

I've already got rid of premium. And I will never recommend Spotify at this rate ever again. It's been over 6 weeks now

No real issues here.

Spotify 0.7.1
Jailbroken 6.1
Iphone5 ~ 32gb

~1100 synced songs via offline playlists.
~8 different playlists.

I have noticed that IOS gives a popup if I try to play an offline playlist while in airplane mode, but I'd expect that, and dont see it as a bug. Once I click the ok button, the playlist can play like normal.

Hi.

I have problem number one, and it started occuring ever since the latest main release (the one with the new logo). What happens for me is every time I close Spotify (double press home button and kill application), and open Spotify again, it reloads all my playlists. When I have a wifi connection this is not much of a problem, as the loading is fairly quick, but when I am on 3G/data it's really slow, and even worse - when I was abroad in England WITHOUT possibility to use data, I could not use Spotify at all. 

It doesn't redownload my music, but it resets my playlists. The weird thing is, I can see my playlists for a second while the three dots (wait/thinking dots or whatever they're called) appears, and as soon as it's done, all my playlists say "Loading..." and are unaccessable. Even if I turn on offline mode, it's the same. When I restart Spotify, I can see the lists, then they disappear. If I'm offline, I'm stuck with an empty screen without any playlists, but if I have data, it SLOWLY SLOWLY starts listing all my playlists (all named "Loading...").

I took some screenshots on my phone, that might better visualize what the problem looks like.

1) My playlists in their "normal" state.

2) Going into offline mode

3-4) Force quitting Spotify

5) The initial second of Spotify when it loads

6) What happens after that second - no playlist is available, not even a playlist which has synced songs.

7) I turned off wifi to show what it looks like with only my 3G connection. The playlists starts loading, and this takes about 5-10 minutes of waiting with Spotify on before I can use any of my playlists.

I hope this sort of shows what problem I have - if you have any further questions I'll try my best at answering them as well.

iPhone 4S

Jailbroken

iOS 6.1.2

IMG_7031.JPG

No problem iPod touch g5

Hi!

#1 applies to me. It is not syncing any new music I add to existing playlists or newly created playlist. It does not even try to sync the playlist when switched to offline mode when connected to the internet. I even went to turn offline mode off on an existing playlist that was already offline and switched it back on hoping it would kick the new songs into syncing but the opposite happened. It only synced half of the playlist including songs that were previously available offline.

Thanks for all of the hard work Spotify!! Love the app and you guys!! This is the first problem I've had!

iPhone 4S

Spotify Version 0.7.2.26

iOS 6.1.3

My problem is #1. I have re-installed Spotify four times on my IPhone 4S to try to sync my playlists with no success. It will not sync my Starred playlist to completion only 170 songs will load out of 564 songs. And, that takes approximately two days to try to load. However, it will load in the Windows Media Player section.  Afterwards, the Starred Playlist will not play in Offline mode away from my Wi-Fi. I've started using my Sony Digital Media Player using the Windows Media Playlist from searching songs using Spotify.  I've had dialogue with a Spotify agent, but still no success. It is very frustrating to pay monthly for something I would like to listen to say the least.

Perhaps, I could be refunded for all the months my Spotify hasn't worked properly.

Thank you for allowing me to air my frustrations.

Beadhound

@Beadhound wrote:

My problem is #1. I have re-installed Spotify four times on my IPhone 4S to try to sync my playlists with no success. It will not sync my Starred playlist to completion only 170 songs will load out of 564 songs. And, that takes approximately two days to try to load. However, it will load in the Windows Media Player section.  Afterwards, the Starred Playlist will not play in Offline mode away from my Wi-Fi. I've started using my Sony Digital Media Player using the Windows Media Playlist from searching songs using Spotify.  I've had dialogue with a Spotify agent, but still no success. It is very frustrating to pay monthly for something I would like to listen to say the least.

Perhaps, I could be refunded for all the months my Spotify hasn't worked properly.

Thank you for allowing me to air my frustrations.

Beadhound

You would need to have a discussion about a refund with the Spotify advisor you have been talking to, those kind of things are not dealt with on the community. 

I'm sure you have already been asked, but do you have at least 500MB of free storage left on your device? 

Peter

Peter

Hi

I'm a Premium user since November 2012. Everything has worked perfectly up until about 3 weeks ago. I now can only sync playlists intermittently. Haven't been able to sync at all for the past week. I'm using an iPhone 4 with iOS 6.1.3.

Typically I can sync the first 2-5 songs of a playlist and then it will stop. If I try and resync, the Offline Mode On button switches itself off.

Hugely frustrating to be paying for something that doesn't work. If not rectified in a week or so, I shall have no choice but to cancel my subscription and go back to iTunes.

The only reason I upgraded to Premium is so I can listen to the music from Spotify that I marked "avalaible offline" available offline.  But it has yet to work.  I am using iPhone and mini. I already sync both devices to Spotify using stand alone computers.  I can see the album/artist,  but when i touch the play button nothing happens.  

Please provide step by step instructions.  Otherwise, I will cancel my subscription.

Thank you.

1. Have you made a playlist available offline which you could not play without any internet connection?

Yes. I have a total of 60 playlists; 49 of those are unable to load whenever I restart Spotify without an active internet connection. Those 49 playlists hang at "Loading..." which results in me not being able to open the playlists and thus not being able to play the songs made available offline.

2. Have you made a playlist available offline which constantly downloads when you start Spotify?

This appears to be random. Of the 11 playlists I am able to open some are -or rather were because I just reinstalled Spotify- available offline and some aren't. Same goes for the 49 playlists that hang in a "Loading..." state: Some had been made available offline and some hadn't.

If possible please perform manual maintenance on my account so that I can once again enjoy Spotify offline. Not being able to play offline files defeats the purpose of having a paid subscription.

Thanks!

I am a premium user and have the #1 issue, and it's getting really annoying. Some of my playlists, which have been working fine in offiline mode earlier, is not loading, nor syncing properly, anymore. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the app (im on an iphone 4s) and resynking all the playlists. It works for some playlist, for some it doesn't. I have about 4GB of free memory, so that's not the problem. Please advice!

My username is koffe80.

Hi,

I have both issues. When I was on vacation abroud and had no internet connection I wasn't able to play my favorites, very annoying. It doesn't accur with all playlists. Also my list of favorits is always downloading when I start spotify.

Greetz.

I have an issue not mentioned as of yet.
I have a few songs stored on my computer that are supposed to sync with my iPod 4G. I recently reset my ipod and then restored from a backup, and so I had to redownload all my music.
There are icons next to the local tracks on my ipod that indicate that the songs have been synced. However, when i try to play them on my iPod, I get the error indicating that the track is not, in fact, stored; I am instructed to sync my iPod with my computer.
Attempting to sync my ipod via the usual wifi method does not work. Spotify content will sync fine, but the local content will not. Playlists containing local content will display "Pending..." indefinitely.

p.s. I also have a few local songs that have been deleted, and therefore are missing on both my computer AND my iPod, although I do not plan to restore them. Could this be the issue?

Hi to everybody!

Inside my desktop version of Spotify I checked the option to import iTunes tracks into the Local Files. I can see each track of iTunes inside the Local Files list and I can correctly play them, but I have an issue during the Spotify sync process.

I open Spotify on the iPhone, every playlist I have is composed by streaming music and none of them is checked for "offline" listening, so everything perfectly match my library on the desktop client, the local tracks imported from iTunes are the only ones I want to sync with the iPhone for "offline" listening, so I go to "Devices", then on my iPhone, check "sync only selected playlists" and then select only the Local Files playlist. The sync process never starts, but on the Local Files playlist appears "Suspended" ("in sospeso" in Italian) and I cannot find a way to make it start.

Please note that if I select any other playlist or check "sync all playlists" the sync process successfully starts and everything goes fine, the only problem is with Local Files.

Anyone has some advice about this?

Thanks!

My configuration:

Spotify (desktop) 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

Spotify (mobile) 0.7.2.26

iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.4

-=[ Zero_G ]=-

I wanted to chime in too. I believe I'm having both issues. Spotify was working without hassle for me until several days ago, where I noticed it now hangs in the middle of "Syncing" which stops (e.g., "Syncing 1 of 73" and it doesn't make any progress after several hours). This is frustrating. It happens on two separate devices (iPad 4 and iPod 4) which leads me to believe it's something with my account. I've tried the usual solutions like a clean re-install and making sure I have plenty of space, and none of those work. When trying to sync Local Files from a Mac, it stays stuck in "Pending". 😞

I just checked with my wife's iPad 3, which is the third device we have registered on this account. Syncing is stuck there too. :*(

Please get in touch with me, I've also sent a support ticket.

UPDATE: Interesting, I'm trying the Tunigo alternative Spotify client and it IS syncing as expected. I wonder what's different?

Support reset my devices and this worked for an initial re-sync. However, adding any subsequent tracks does not work, and the progress indicator is stuck in a perpetual loop. Frustrating! 😞

These and related OFFLINE SYNC problems are being reported in multiple threads, where the usual Help file/reinstall/reboot stuff doesn't work and there is enough space and memory, also running the latest Spotify and iOS versions. These appear to be persistent issues:

It'd be helpful to consolidate the similar stuff into a single thread so that staff and helpers can have an easier time sifting through bug reports and data.

Suggested posts