Premium
Country
Japan
Device
iPhone 8/iPhone 12
Operating System
iOS 16.6
My Question or Issue
Even though I have listed to episodes of a podcast, once an episode is over often I have podcast episodes I’ve already listened to & are marked as played start playing. I’ve seen a lot of people complain that Spotify won’t play Marked as Played episodes, but I’m having the opposite problem. I hate having to go into the app & change the episode to a new one & leaving a marked as played episode partly watched…
Can’t find anyone else having this problem on the forums or Reddit.
Please help.

9 Replies

Hey @tokyohomo,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you try using a different account to check if this behavior is persistent? Does this happen with a specific podcast or with all of the ones you've tried?

Just to make sure, could you perform a clean reinstall of the app as described here?

Let us know how that went.

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you for the reply!

I did a clean install as you suggested and at first my queue was clear but I clicked on an older podcast episode (I’m trying to listen from newest to oldest) and it repopulated the queue to play from older to newer, including episodes I’ve already played. I reversed the filter to from oldest to newest, but the queue hasn’t changed. 
My main issue is why is it playing episodes that are marked as played? I want to skip those episodes…

Hey @tokyohomo,

Thanks for the reply and the troubleshooting you've tried.

Does the same behavior occur with a different account or on a different device?

Have you listened the marked as played podcasts to the end or just a specific portion of them?

It'd be helpful if you could provide a short screen recording of the experience so we can better reproduce it on our end.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

DianModerator

Thank you for the continued support!

I’ve attached two screenshots (btw this forum doesn’t support jpeg files but iPhones take screenshots in jpeg format…). You can see the podcast I’m listening to is one episode after the latest played, more recent episode. I started playing this episode with a blank queue after re-installing the app. But, after I started playing it, the queue filled with the newer, played episode (other screenshot, check the name of the episode with the one in the episode list screenshot). So, for some reason Spotify is thinking I want to go back & play newer-but-played episodes. I don’t see any setting to change this…

IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg

Hey there @tokyohomo,

Thanks for the info.

One possible fix to this would be to listen to the previously played episodes to the end. It's enough just to scroll to the last remaining seconds and let the episode finish. After that, the episode should be marked as finished and you shouldn't be getting it to pop up in your queue. Let us know if this works for you.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the recommendation. I tried that and it kinda worked; it brought the queue back showing the next episode to play next, but in the queue are already played episodes. 

Are played podcasts supposed to show up in the queue? Is there a setting to stop played podcasts from playing? If not, I really don’t think I can keep using Spotify as this is far too annoying to deal vs. apps like Overcast that easily let you set these preferences. It sucks because I’m paying for Spotify…

Hi there @tokyohomo,

Thanks for the post.

You can already filter the podcast episodes by Unplayed by tapping on "Filter" next to "All episodes" and choosing the "Unplayed" option in the mobile app. This can be also done in the desktop app by following the same steps.

On the Desktop app you can do this by opening a podcast page > Clicking on "All episodes" and selecting Unplayed

Unfortunately, you won't be able to filter your queue and automated recommendations, but it should work if you filter your episodes before hand and manually add them to the queue.

Hope this info helps.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan: Premium
Device: iPhone 12 mini

My Question or Issue
when listening to podcasts the app starts always episodes which already listened instead of jumping to unlistened episodes.

Still doing it now, it's a very flakey app

Suggested posts