Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Podcasts] Video playback fails

[Mobile][Podcasts] Video playback fails

When I have JRE video podcasts saved and downloaded on mobile, I often have my phone to sleep and in my pocket where I’m not actually watching the video portion - only listening to audio. However, then the podcast automatically stops and when I go into the Spotify app, an error message pops up that the “video playback failed” and the episode download is automatically removed and isn’t available. This needs to be fixed if the episode is downloaded… the podcast shouldn’t fail if it’s downloaded 

21 Replies

Hey there @adampopulorum,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community 🙂 We moved your post from Ideas to the help boards as it's content fits better here. 

Would you mind sending over a screenshot or a video where we can take a better look at what you're seeing from your end? You can attach it using the Insert Photos or Insert Video options in the post editor.

It would also be helpful to know your device's model and exact OS version, along with the Spotify version you're currently running and the troubleshooting steps that you've already tried.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I having the exact same issues with the "Off The Record Podcast" by Dj Akademiks. Other video podcasts working fine but I'm having issues with this one in particular. Im on a Galaxy S21 Ultra on Android 2.0 One UI 4.0 and spotify version 8.6.98.900. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, have tried signing into a different spotify account, have tried enabling audio only when not on wifi but nothing works. I've had this issue for months now and attached is a picture.

Screenshot_20220126-143305_Spotify.jpg

Hi there @largeman

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, could you log in to your account on a different phone to see if the issue persists there?

Lastly, could you let us know if you're using an SD card?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I am having the same issue. 

Listening to the always sunny podcast and suddenly next episodes won't play. I'm only streaming the audio. Have logged out/back in, uninstalled/reinstalled,  done a clean reinstall and nothing works. I just get the playback error when trying to play episodes.

I'm on a Samsung S20, app is up to date with a premium account and not using SD card. 

I really appreciated this piece. I often think of how much of a time suck and a mental drain diving into comment conversations can be. But sometimes it is worth it. At the end of the day, it's important to assert oneself and to attempt to have discussions about what matters to you.

[Moderator edit]

Hey folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

@Jcox88 - can you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persists? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

@Marlene90 - can you let us know what troubleshooting steps you've done so far that's been provided in the thread so that we can help you in the best way without repeating something that you've already done.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, 

The only workaround has been to download Spotify lite. 

I don't have anyone that can log in on my phone,  but it doesn't work on my laptop or TV.  

Hi again @Jcox88,

Thank you for your reply and for you confirmation. Good job with the troubleshooting so far!

Can you send us the URI of the podcast so that we can have a closer look directly from our end?

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1tpj6nD2KnZxvjSyWmum3M?si=dZb83uidR7ai4WYwg4GgEQ&utm_source=copy-li...

This is example of one that will not play, but plays fine in Spotify lite

Having the exact same problem with the sunny podcast and many others. Beyond frustrating now. All troubleshooting tried, restarts, full reinstalls, clear cache. Nothing working 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

Could you let us know if this is happening only with your downloaded content or when you're streaming as well? 

On another note, we suggest that you exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone. 

Lastly, we'd like to know if this has always happened or if it started happening after a specific event such as an update. 

We'll be waiting for your replies.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

Happens on both downloaded and streaming. I thought maybe issue with
streaming so downloaded and same issue.

I've turned off battery saving setting and just tried with that same
podcast and same issue.

This has only started happening in the past few weeks. Initially thought it
was just a issue with WiFi or something but happened the following day &
have had no success

Only resolution I've found is to download Spotify lite

Hi @Jcox88,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you let us know if you're receiving this error message when listening through an external WiFi / Bluetooth speaker or when playing directly from your mobile device? Could you provide us with a short screen recording which shows this behavior in action?

Keep us posted.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

• It doesn't play. Not with headphones, not through phone, not when connected to WiFi, not when not connected to WiFi. Not when I've downloaded an ep, not when I'm streaming.

It does not play. 

Screenshot provided. Screen recording is too large 

I don't know what else I can give you to be honest. Your app isn't working and I'm not sure what I'm paying for.
Screenshot_20220327-094658_Spotify.jpg

Hey @Jcox88,

Thanks for the screenshot and your reply.

Can you let us know if this is happening with any other podcasts as well?

Also, can you clarify what you mean that the only solution you've found is Spotify Lite, since the Lite app doesn't support podcasts?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I dont know what you're talking about, postcasts play fine on Spotify lite
app. I just went in and tried the sunny and other podcasts on the lite app
and they play, are searchable and even show up in their own category in
favorites??

I've just gone back to Spotify (normal app) and always sunny is now
playing. It was happening on other podcasts too but I don't recall which
sorry as it was when I couldn't listen to the sunny one that I noticed some
others doing the same.

Hey @Jcox88,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry about the confusion, I just checked and it looks like Podcasts have indeed been made available for the Lite app, which was not the case previously.

Glad to hear that The Always Sunny Podcast is working for you again. Are other podcasts still not working for your?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex

I have been having the same issues for the past few months with A diary of a CEO podcasts. Longer podcasts will only play through an external speaker or laptop but not my phone or headphones (it says playback failed same as posts above). Do you know why this could be? If worked fine before. I have done all the trouble shooting steps such as clean uninstall, checked apps and settings etc.

Thank you

Joey 

Hey @Jrooboo 🙂

Could you please let us know if this is happening to you on the Lite version of the app or on the standard mobile app :?
If the issue still persists, we'd also like to know your app version, your mobile device model, its OS version and the type of headphones you've been using.

Many thanks in advance!
We'll be on the lookout for your response.

VasilModerator

Suggested posts