Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New iOS release (0.5.3) - report any issues here

Solved!

New iOS release (0.5.3) - report any issues here

We just released a new Spotify version for iOS. IF you're having any trouble please read on.

There are several parts to identifying, solving and forwarding issues:

A.     Use the Search function!
You’re having some trouble with Spotify? Maybe someone already has an answer.

1. Search the forums
    - Perhaps you’re not the first to encounter this issue and someone else has already found a solution

B.    Troubleshooting
- Trying basic common solutions to see if you can solve the problem on your own

1. Either you find a solution to the problem or
  2. Troubleshooting didn’t work, now comes

C.    Reproducing the issue
- Describing in as much detail as possible what steps anyone can take to see the same issue you are seeing

D.    Reporting your issue
- Post on the forum to provide us with all the details

E.     Internal escalation
- We gather your feedback and send it to our internal teams who will try to follow your steps to reproduce the issue and find a fix, where applicable

F.     If it can be resolved it will be in a future update of the Spotify client

A.     Use the Search function!

1. Log in on the Community site: http://community.spotify.com/
  2. Locate the green Search button on the right
  3. Type some keywords pertinent to your specific issue and search
  4. Either you’ll find (an) existing topic(s) which you can join to read and post, or
  5. Continue to B

B.    Troubleshooting
Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own:

1. Go to your device’s Settings
  2. Scroll down until you get to Safari, select that
  3. Select clear history and proceed to clear.
  4. Select clear cookies and data (beneath clear history) and then proceed to clear.
  5. Now you can perform a clean installation of the new app following these instructions:
    Delete the Spotify application from your iPhone/iPod.
    To do this, press and hold the application until it hovers and then press the X symbol
    Restart your iPod/iPhone
    Install Spotify again from the App Store
  6. Start Spotify, log in and have a look if your issue was resolved
    If the issue remains, go to C

C. Reproducing the issue 

There's a template below; please add as much info as possible, then go to D

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Replace this with a short description of the issue you're experiencing.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I did this

2. Then I did that

3. I also did this

4. then this

5. then this

6. and finally, this

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

What actually happened

This is what happened instead.

My iPad/iPhone model

Eg. iPhone 3G, iPhone 4S, The New iPad, etc.

Device’s Operating System

E.g. 3.1.1, 4.1,5.1.1, etc.

Is your device jailbroken?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

My Spotify version

E.g. 0.5.1.

My provider and country

Eg. AT&T, US; or Telia, Sweden

My username

To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview and copy/paste the number.

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

If so, please paste them here

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

D.    Reporting your issue

1. Log in
  2. Start a new reply right here and paste all the info from C

Edit: Added additional instructions to "B. Troubleshooting" for clearing Safari's cache and cookies BEFORE un- and reinstalling

Community Ergo Sum

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I am sorry to leave Spotify, at least as a paying customer. Although I used it from time to time on my Android phone too, I just don't want to pay for something that doesn't work on my primary mobile listening device (iPod Touch 4Gen). Many users report crashes on the iPhone, the problem seems to have been around for months and there has been almost no response. And this is what upsets me most: no help, no intentions to solve this problem brought up here in the forum, no announcement to fix it asap. I know that my opinion doesn't count much and that Spotify can live without me as a paying customer, but I'm not so sure if this lack of support here and especially regarding the crashes on iPod/iPhone will leave most other iOS users happy. I know quite well that with a lack of user support, companies can scare off users more effectively than with bad software but the intention to fix problems. Anyway, I find it sad that such a good software just doesn't work as intended on certain devices and especially that support seems to be an illusion - since April in case of these crashes. Bye bye Spotify, maybe I'll give you a try in a year or so.. provided that I won't be happy with a competitor (maybe Simfy, I'll have to look around). My personal verdict (and my "advertisement" will be accordingly but I have understood: you just couldn't care less): Good product with a few important flaws, very bad forum support, it seems unlikely that certain flaws will be fixed soon. Regards, Alexander

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Where can I get a list of what was updated?

I've added my remarks here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/Spotify-crashes-on-ipod-touch-when-onlin... I'm just wondering how a thread where several users reported that the app keeps crashing on their ipod touch seems to be left unattended SINCE APRIL. Are you interested in problems and fixing them, can we discuss bugs and issues in the forum, or is the forum just for user-to-user-exchange? I'm really considering to switch back to free usage. I love spotify, but if it keeps crashing on my iPod and if there's no way to fix it, I don't see the point of paying much longer. I'd apppreciate at least some kind of reaction, here or in the above mentioned thread - please! Regards, Alexander Edit: I've now found the much longer thread about crashing problems on the iphone, but there too, I don't see much interest from staff and almost certainly no solution (I haven't read all of the 20+ pages yet, though). A user proposes a workaround for the problem where the app crashes after playing for a certain time, but this problem is not really the same as mine (crash after reopening from home screen or turning the screen back on) and the workaround doesn't fix the problem in my case. Regardless of the possibility to create a support ticket, I am missing some customer support and interest in fixing this obviously widespread crashng-issue. I guess I will downgrade to free usage soon.

Description

Latest update of iPad app won't download from app store - app now unusable!

1. I tried to download the update from the app store as usual.

2. When that didn't work I tried deleting and reinstalling.

3. When that didn't work I tried installing another app from the app store - that also got stuck at waiting.

4. I downloaded the update and new app via iTunes on my desktop and synced my iPad.

5. The new app installed fine. The spotify update did not.

6. I tried deleting and reinstalling Spotify again. It's still stuck at waiting.

The update to download and install!

What actually happened

It freezes and now I can't use my app.

My iPad/iPhone model

iPad 2 64GB

5.1.1 (9B206)

No

My Spotify version

Whatever the last one was before this update.

My provider and country

n/a, connecting over Wifi at home.

My username

agladman

Not at the moment, no.

Description

Latest update of iPhone app crashes randomly (as did the previous one)

1. installed the new app

2. i opened a folder containing a couple of playlists

3. selected to play all at random with crossfade on.

to play

What actually happened

it played 4 songs and then crashed. This happens always after a couple of songs.

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 3GS

No

My Spotify version

the newest one

My provider and country

n/a, connecting over Wifi at home.

My username

gesticulador

Not at the moment, no.

Description

Mobile app will crash completely and return iPod to the home screen in the middle of a playlist.  Seems to be several songs in.

Signed up to the forum for the sole reason of throwing my weight behind this issue.  Moved over from Napster recently because the catalogue is larger and songs play almost instantly.  That's no good though when application releases aren't tested properly and crash the app frequently. These issues are on the iPod Touch I purchased at the weekend for the sole purpose of running Spotify Mobile on a dock.

1. Play playlist/album of your choice

2. Listen to several tracks

3. Wonder why it's not playing

4. See home screen

5. Relaunch app

6. Realise that it's now not even displaying the music you were listening to, but the previous playlist / album

7. Repeat 

NB - I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling app, hard reset, and witchcraftery.

Not to crash, obviously

What actually happened

It crashes

My iPad/iPhone model

iPod Touch 4th Gen

ios 5.1.1

No

My Spotify version

0.5.3. (if that's the latest)

My provider and country

UK, no provider

My username

McWillo

You know what a home screen looks like!

McWillo: Good luck with that!

There's a 21 pages long thread about the crashing problem and almost NO participation or support by staff members. I really don't have the impression (anymore) that they care at all. People have been reporting crashes of the kind since (at least) April in (at least) 2 different threads.

There has been very little response and just a few instructions (such as removing iTunes playlists) that seem to leave nowhere.

Again: good luck with bringing up your problems with the app. I hope that you're a patient person willing to pay monthly while you wait for any fix, update, announcement regarding this major issue. "Major" because it seems to concern many users in a very annoying way - they just can't enjoy Spotify on their iPod/iPhone.

I am one of them (it crashes when I reopen the app from the background or if I turn the display back on while playing) and I would have expected some support - but there seems to be almost none. http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/iPhone-app-keeps-crashing/td-p/2667/page... Regards, Alex

Agreed 0.5.3 Stable on iPhone 4 but not on 3GS/iPad 1. Appears to be a memory allocation shortage

Sooooo...nobody knows where the patch notes are?
Marked as solution

I am sorry to leave Spotify, at least as a paying customer. Although I used it from time to time on my Android phone too, I just don't want to pay for something that doesn't work on my primary mobile listening device (iPod Touch 4Gen). Many users report crashes on the iPhone, the problem seems to have been around for months and there has been almost no response. And this is what upsets me most: no help, no intentions to solve this problem brought up here in the forum, no announcement to fix it asap. I know that my opinion doesn't count much and that Spotify can live without me as a paying customer, but I'm not so sure if this lack of support here and especially regarding the crashes on iPod/iPhone will leave most other iOS users happy. I know quite well that with a lack of user support, companies can scare off users more effectively than with bad software but the intention to fix problems. Anyway, I find it sad that such a good software just doesn't work as intended on certain devices and especially that support seems to be an illusion - since April in case of these crashes. Bye bye Spotify, maybe I'll give you a try in a year or so.. provided that I won't be happy with a competitor (maybe Simfy, I'll have to look around). My personal verdict (and my "advertisement" will be accordingly but I have understood: you just couldn't care less): Good product with a few important flaws, very bad forum support, it seems unlikely that certain flaws will be fixed soon. Regards, Alexander

Description
At around 1:30, playback stops and cannot be induced to continue. Playlist syncing behaved strangely. News Feed does not appear on What's New screen.

1. On Monday, July 16, 2012 I downloaded and installed the latest version of Spotify on my iPod Touch.
2. The next day I started the application and began to play a track. Playback stopped at about 1:30.
3. I pressed pause and then play. The track did not resume.
4. I skipped to the next track. The time on both sides of the progress bar disappeared.
5. I pressed pause and then play. The track did not play.
6. I chose a track from a different playlist. The time on both sides of the progress bar was still gone.
7. I pressed pause and then play. The track did not play.
8. I closed the application and waited 10 seconds.
9. I repeated steps 2-7.
10. I closed the application.
11. I searched the FAQ and Community Forums and found one person who experienced similar issues with tracks freezing at 1:30. A suggested solution was turning crossfade and gapless playback off.
12. I do not use crossfade, but I did turn off gapless playback.
13. I repeated steps 2-7.
14. I closed the application.
15. I deleted the application.
16. I re-installed the application using the iTunes App Store.
17. I opened the application and was surprised to discover that almost all of my playlists were listed as "Loading..."
18. I attempted to play a track from one of the intact playlists. Playback stopped at about 1:30.
19. I closed the application.
20. I synced my iPod Touch with my Mac in iTunes.
21. I wirelessly synced my iPod Touch with my Mac using Spotify's desktop app.
22. I first selected to sync all playlists, not realizing that it meant "make all playlists available offline."
23. I waited until all of my playlist information had reappeared and changed my selection to manually select playlists to sync.
24. I de-selected all playlists on the desktop app.
25. Playlists continued to download tracks for offline listening, so I also changed the "Available Offline" selection to NO for all playlists.
26. I repeated steps 2-7.
27. I closed the app.
28. The next morning, I opened Spotify on my iPod Touch.
29. To my surprise, some playlists were listed as "Loading..." again and all of my playlists were downloading tracks for offline listening.
30. I changed the "Available Offline" selection to NO for as many playlists as I could before the app crashed.
31. I opened Spotify on my iPod Touch
32. I repeated steps 29-30.
33. I repeated steps 31-32.
34. I opened Spotify and repeated step 29.
35. I changed the "Available Offline" selection to NO on all playlists.
36. I repeated steps 2-7.
37. I went to the What's New screen to check the system status and discovered that the News Feed would not load.
38. I closed the app.
39. I wrote and submitted this support request/bug report.

I expected to experience the same great listening experience I have before downloading the latest update. I expected tracks to play through, the News Feed to load, playlists to load quickly without funny business, syncing to behave according to my selections, and the app not to crash.

What actually happened
At around 1:30, playback stops and cannot be induced to continue, playlist syncing behaved strangely, the News Feed did not appear on What's New screen, and the app crashed. In short, Spotify is now unusable.

My iPad/iPhone model
iPod Touch 32GB 4th Gen.

NO

My Spotify version

My provider and country
AT&T, USA

My username

Yes, but I'm having trouble attaching them. I can email them upon request.

Cabreau: the list of changes is right there in the app store where it says “What’s new in version …”

Agladman, it’s been two days; maybe the App Store has settled down. Have you been able to install your iPad app now?

As to the crashing: it looks like that happens either on any iPod touch with any iOS version, and on iPhones pre-iPhone 4, with any iOS version?

Community Ergo Sum

"As to the crashing: it looks like that happens either on any iPod touch with any iOS version, and on iPhones pre-iPhone 4, with any iOS version?": We know this for about 6 months now, now fix it.

description

App is slower than previous Version and crashes very often.

Open App

Searching for Songs

Play 

Next Track wont play

have to pause and click again play

nothing happens

afer trying this for a few times it will play

then crashes 

back on the homescreen

I expected to play my Playlist

What actually happened

crash

My iPad/iPhone model

iPad 3

No

My Spotify version

E.g. 0.5.3

My provider and country

Vodafone, Germany

My username

Hi, With latest Version on iPad2 spotify Stops any Song After a Brunch of 20? Seconds. Searching sometimes dös Not work. This Rallye sucks. I do Not See this behaviour with previous Version nor on iphone4s. Please fix asap or i will cancel my Premium Account and Head for simfy & co

I pasted my report into Spotify's contact form (look for the Contact link at the bottom of the website) and got a response the next day. I hate doing resets so much that I had forgotten to try this step. After I uninstalled Spotify, reset all settings, and reinstalled, playback and playlists returned to normal. The News Feed still isn't loading, though.

Description

Cannot sync playlists.

1. Mark a playlist to be available offline.

2. Device stuck on 'Syncing 1 of x'.

3. Attempt different combinations of sync quality, plugging device in, disabling iCloud, no difference.

Playlists to sync.

What actually happened

Playlists do not sync.

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 4s

No

My Spotify version

My provider and country

O2, UK

My username

lee1060

No

As much as I wanted it to work (I have cancelled my subscription and am giving Simfy a try - looks promising to me!), I wouldn't take the effort to reset my iPod - there are so many apps, app folders, etc - I just wouldn't do this, it's too much. If Spotify can't resolve it via an update, they might continue getting user complaints and cancellations. What I don't get is: If support knows about this and that resetting might help, why don't they write it in big letters here in the forum, after every few complaints or so? Showing no interest in helping forum users is among the best ways to lose customers imo. But hey, it's not my problem, not my decision of course. Good luck with the app, I wish you that it'll continue to run without crashes!

Description

iPhone 3GS with 0.5.3 logs me out or pauses the music in offline and online modes

1. First I set up a playlist (done many times on small and large playlists and also by searching artists)

2. then i chose a song and played it

3. I drove off listening to music

4. angrily pulled over having to re-log in to spotify and select a song again and play it

5. repeat steps 3 and 4 until too frustrated and switch to pandora

I expected to listen to my music until i reached my destination or until the playlist was over

What actually happened

It quits out randomly. I read in some other posts that people had specific times when it would quit out, but I haven't noticed this. For me it seems to be more of a gamble whether it will make it through the song or not.

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 3GS

Whatever the most recent and updated version is

No

My Spotify version

My provider and country

AT&T USA

My username

I've been very pleased with Spotify, however when the main function (mobile music) that we are paying ten dollars a month for doesn't work, it seems to me that we are just dipping our money in gas and lighting it. Additionally not having a customer support phoneline doesn't seem to make sense to me. I hope this is resolved soon because I very much enjoy the idea and functions of spotify, but cant continue paying for nothing.

When I come out of Spotify on my iPad, or when the screen goes black (sleeps) Spotify stops. This is highly annoying - What is wrong with it? I am a Premuim customer.

Thanks

Steeler

Suggested posts