Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New iPad app stops playing.. buffers... (longtime) ... plays few seconds...again buffering...

Solved!

New iPad app stops playing.. buffers... (longtime) ... plays few seconds...again buffering...

Hi,

I got an iPad 1 (fyi not jailbroken). Installed yesterday the new Spotify app for iPad. Super... I thought. But it stops playing all the time and after a few minutes it continues... Why? 

Internet connection 120 Mb

WLAN N router

LAN 1Gbps 

Please Help...

296 Replies

I'm a Virgin customer so fingers crossed this has been the issue for me and that it gets sorted soon.

Hi,

Been testing with the newest update and I noticed I haven't had any cut offs when playing tracks which are synced for offline. When streaming I continue to have a lot of hick ups and it seems to get worse when I use the 'extreme' setting. I am using Airplay  to stream the music to my stereo. Could this be actually a wi-fi bandwidth problem and not Spotify as of course streaming through wi-fi, I am assuming, uses more bandwidth on the wireless network than playing synced tracks.

Other than the hick ups in playing music, I find the app still crashes quite often. When pressing the search button or the 'whats new' button, it's always a surprise whether or not it will crash.

Anyone got tips or similar experiences?

Greets,

Marked as solution

IT'S RESOLVED!!! It may be a coincidence but I doubt it. Yesterday I updated to the very latest version of iOS, 5.1.1, and it's all hunky dory again! Everyone make sure you're running the latest version!

I have IOS update 5.1.1. already some time oin my ipod touch and ipad. But the ipodtouch app still gives problems. Ipad app on ipad 1 was and is stable.

Yesterday I received my new ipad 3. This morning I started testing spotify on the new ipad. I had playback with many hickups. I had restored spofify form the icloud. End of the morning I removed spotify from the new ipad and reinstalled it. The app was now more stable, with a few  incidental hickups. When listening to music with the ipad app at the same I was internetting with my notebook. When starting googlechrome on the notebook the ipad app had a hickup.  I have a dual band router. The notebook and the ipad were on the same band. This could indicate interferrence prpblems, caused by an unstable app.  I am now testing with regular (notebood) internet on one band, and ipad internet with the second band. Untill now flawless playack in ipad. 

Edit: just had an hickup. 

Had iOS 5.1.1 for quite a while now and had more than a few hick ups with it. With the newest Spotify version (0.5.1.74.gbdf7fe51) and the previous. 

Is there anyone who's experiencing hick ups with both streaming audio and play back of audio synced for offline usage?

We are currently experiencing some problems with the service

We are looking in to the problems and will update our Twitter timeline, @SpotifyStatus, with the latest updates.

Maybe they finally know what the problem is.

Service seems fine for me....no probs with the app or latency today.....it seems the problem that started this thread has been fixed for virgin customers like myself as been ok for days now.

....and then the app promptly crashed. Out with one problem, in with another.

While I've been waiting for a fix, with almost no response from Spotify, I drifted over to test Rdio. I love it. Rules of competition, Spotify. 

Just played for 1 1/2 hour the eurovsion 2012 list, without hickups. Than I started playing a complete new list, and yes hickups. Now I have two possibel explanations:

1. At the time of the hickups i started my notebook with a connection to my netgear router. In the ipad my dns server is the router. Maybe there was a conflict.

2. This morning I installed spotify (again). I don't use offline list on the new ipad. Stil spotify is using more memory. Could it be that if you play the same music over and over again that somehow spotify is using its cache memory tot acces the music so that you have no hickups due tot bandwitch problems. With new music you might have an bandwithproblem?

Marked as solution

Well, bandwidth is good currently. Last problem, music stopped but as soon as I woke the iPad and opened spotify it started again. That sounds like a sleep issue. I'll try the latest iOS....

Received this from Spotify support today. For any other UK users who are also Virgin customers commenting here, this may be an explanation:

"Hi there,

We just wanted to provide you with an update on the slow streaming problems with Spotify & your ISP.

We have now identified that this is due to high volumes of data that Spotify sends. For now this means that we are unable to offer a resolution for your issue from here.

We would recommend contacting your ISP for any updates about this.

If you have any questions, please let us know. We're happy to help!

Thanks for your continued patience. [Update]
Best wishes,

Spotify Customer Service"

Virgin's National service is pretty poor for me so this sounds plausible.

As a Norwegian, I must stress that this does not seems to be associated with Virgin only, even if that might be part of the problem many users in the UK.

Running 70Mbps from Canal Digital here in Norway, having no problems with other competing streaming services (Wimp) as well as other forms of streaming content (Apple TV, XBox Movie rentals, Voddler, movies played from PSN etc) I am pretty sure this is mostly a Spotify related issue.

The music from Spotify also plays fine on my Macs at work, I only experience the problem frequentlly when I run music on my iPad at home, which is how I prefer it in my living room. Also, when I earlier had problems with running music via Airplay, I could see that the playback progress indicators ran as normal in the Spotify UI, but the current problem causes these to stop as long as the music pauses. The problem also exists both when the iPad is locked, as well as when it is unlocked, I tried playing music while doing other stuff on it just to see if I experienced problems without locking the screen.

Just played with flawless playback spotify on windows. Music was via airlfoil and apple tv transmitted to my receiver. No problems whatsoever.

Either the apps are faulty, either the apps have a differente faulty interface to the spotifyservers. 

It looks like it's getting worse over here. :( All my devices (PC, iPad, iPhone and Sonos) are experiencing drop-outs now regularly. I suspect my provider Ziggo. Maybe it's an idea to have local forums? That way it's easier to pinpoint problems related to providers right? Is there some sort of Spotify connection test utility or logging option?

I am still suffering from buffering problems and dropouts on my Sonos devices. I installed new firmware on my Sonos devices this week, but that doesn't make anny difference at all. For me Spotify is unusable at this moment and this continues for weeks now. I have no reason to suspect my Ziggo Internet connection, I always reach maximum throughput when testing. If this isn't solved, I have to stop my subscription because I can not listen to music for five minutes without problems!
Sonos ZP, Sonos S5, Arcam A28, Monitor Audio RX6, Ziggo network, iPad, Samsung S3 mini

Virgin have set up a page dedicated to this problem. (finally). They want to hear from virgin customers. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Spotify-Issues/m-p/1241925/message-uid/1241...

The reason I am thinking Ziggo is the problem is exactly because my throughput isn't... 🙂

It isn't Ziggo here. I have a 60Mbps account and everything else always streams fine at max speed (Youtube HD, Vimeo, iTunes Match etc). The problem is Spotify, unable to solve problems which are very much associated with the beginning of the internet in the nineties.

@jo-degro I fully agree, this is also confirmed by my local "Expert" electronics shop, which is à Sonos reseller. Many Sonos users complain about the Spotify reception, using various Internet providers. I think it is very sad, that Spotify seems to do very little about this problem and the communication about it is verry poor. Sonos is responsive and helpfull in answering questions, but not Spotify. They should realize that we pay for a working service, not a service that only seems to work between 00:00am and 08:00am. This is going on for weeks now, while it has worked fine for over a year in my case. In the beginning (late 2010) I had similar problems but not as bad like now.
Sonos ZP, Sonos S5, Arcam A28, Monitor Audio RX6, Ziggo network, iPad, Samsung S3 mini

Suggested posts