Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Should you be able to use your iPhone while listening to Spotify?

Solved!

Should you be able to use your iPhone while listening to Spotify?

I don't know if you SHOUD be able to go to the main menu and text and play games whilst listening to Spotify, because everytime I press the menu button, the music turns off. I want to buy Spotify premium but first I want to make sure that I can use my phone whilst listening to Spotify and that the music doesn't turn off as fast as I want to send a text or play a game. Please answer as fast as possible! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As long as you're using a recent iOS device, you will be able to play Spotify and do something else at the same time.  My iPhone 4 on iOS 5 works that way, but my old iPhone 3G on iOS 4 does not.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I've run into this once. When pressing the home button, Spotify fades out, and won't play again until heading back into Spotify. However, unplugging and plugging my headphones back in seemed to fix it. Failing that, closing the app down in the multitask menu should help as well. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Marked as solution

You can just hit pause and then play, after this you can close the app and do whatever you want 🙂 This works for me.

Marked as solution

Which iPhone and which version of iOS are you using?

Because the first thing we need to establish is whether your phone is capable of multitasking. If it's not capable of multitasking, Spotify will be suspended -- and all music will stop playing -- as soon as you hit the Home button and switch to another app.

If you have the original iPhone or the 3G, your phone cannot multitask. You must have Spotify open and in the foreground in order to hear it. As soon as you hit the home button it will stop. There is no way around this.

If you have a 3GS, you need to make sure you are running iOS 4.0 or later in order to have multitasking.

With an iPhone 4 or 4S, you should already have multitasking by default. So if that's the case and this is still happening, something else is at fault.

Even if you have a multitasking-capable phone, bear in mind that the iPhone will basically only allow one app to play audio at any given time. So if you're sending texts, checking Facebook or Twitter or using Safari, etc., you shouldn't have a problem playing Spotify in the background. But as soon as you switch to Pandora, the iPod app, or most games (since most produce audio), Spotify will be stopped. There are some games that will allow you to listen to your own music while playing, but the game must be specifically designed to allow it and I'm 99% sure they will not be able to use Spotify, only regular music tracks that you've loaded to your phone via iTunes.

Marked as solution

I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0.1 with the newest version of Spotify and I am a premium member. I used to be able to stream Spotiy Audio in the Background while preforming other tasks on my iPhone. Now  whenever I switch to the SpringBoard or Multitask out to another app the audio fads out. 

Any ideas?

7 Replies
Marked as solution

As long as you're using a recent iOS device, you will be able to play Spotify and do something else at the same time.  My iPhone 4 on iOS 5 works that way, but my old iPhone 3G on iOS 4 does not.

Marked as solution

I've run into this once. When pressing the home button, Spotify fades out, and won't play again until heading back into Spotify. However, unplugging and plugging my headphones back in seemed to fix it. Failing that, closing the app down in the multitask menu should help as well. 

Airhorn Enthusiast
Marked as solution

You can just hit pause and then play, after this you can close the app and do whatever you want 🙂 This works for me.
Marked as solution

Which iPhone and which version of iOS are you using?

Because the first thing we need to establish is whether your phone is capable of multitasking. If it's not capable of multitasking, Spotify will be suspended -- and all music will stop playing -- as soon as you hit the Home button and switch to another app.

If you have the original iPhone or the 3G, your phone cannot multitask. You must have Spotify open and in the foreground in order to hear it. As soon as you hit the home button it will stop. There is no way around this.

If you have a 3GS, you need to make sure you are running iOS 4.0 or later in order to have multitasking.

With an iPhone 4 or 4S, you should already have multitasking by default. So if that's the case and this is still happening, something else is at fault.

Even if you have a multitasking-capable phone, bear in mind that the iPhone will basically only allow one app to play audio at any given time. So if you're sending texts, checking Facebook or Twitter or using Safari, etc., you shouldn't have a problem playing Spotify in the background. But as soon as you switch to Pandora, the iPod app, or most games (since most produce audio), Spotify will be stopped. There are some games that will allow you to listen to your own music while playing, but the game must be specifically designed to allow it and I'm 99% sure they will not be able to use Spotify, only regular music tracks that you've loaded to your phone via iTunes.
Marked as solution

I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0.1 with the newest version of Spotify and I am a premium member. I used to be able to stream Spotiy Audio in the Background while preforming other tasks on my iPhone. Now  whenever I switch to the SpringBoard or Multitask out to another app the audio fads out. 

Any ideas?

dear friend, 

I m using iPhone 4s, please explain me the method through which i can listion musick while i m playing games or watching facebook, twitter etc

Thanks this solved the problem for me 🙂

Suggested posts