Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app closes within 5 seconds of opening it on my iphone 14, ios 16.2

Spotify app closes within 5 seconds of opening it on my iphone 14, ios 16.2

Everytime I try to open the Spotify app on my phone, it opens, I can see my home page and then it closes. I cannot do anything within the app. It won't even stay open long enough to log out. I can still run my spotify on my old phone that is hooked up to wifi or through the desktop, but I need it to work on my phone that actually has cellular connection.
9 Replies

Hey @givenmt,

Sorry to see this has been happening to you!
Have you tried any troubleshooting so far? If not, I'd recommend going for a complete clean reinstall as shown here.
It should clear any and all potential corrupted files that may be the cause of the occurring crashes.
Let us know how it goes!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Vasil,

Thank you for your response.  I have tried to do each of the steps that are suggested for the clean reinstall.  My app won't even stay up long enough for it to clear cache.  I can get to the point of agreeing to clear cache, but then the app crashes.  I figure I don't have much cached if anything.  I have offloaded and deleted the app multiple times in the past and just now.  I have turned off my phone as well as hard rebooted the phone and then downloaded the app from the app store.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed.  I can open the app, and sometimes get to my library, but almost always I see the three "thinking" dots and then it crashes.  This has happened since I purchased the phone and uploaded iOS 16.1.2 and now 16.2.  I had zero problems on my previous phone with iOS 16.0.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Hey @givenmt,

Thanks for your reply and for all the detailed info shared.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sharing with us the exact Spotify version you're running?

On another note, and just to confirm, is this still happening if you change the internet connection you're using? Is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Give it a try and let us know if changing the connection makes any difference.

Do you use a VPN on your new mobile phone? If yes, try disabling it to see if that makes any difference.

Is this happening on a different iPhone with the same OS version? If possible, it'd be super helpful if you could check. You can ask for the mobile device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Thank you @AlejaR for your reply.  Here is the info you requested.

The Spotify version on my phone is 8.7.92.521.

I am currently running iOS 16.2 on an iPhone 14 Pro.

I have tried opening Spotify on this phone using multiple internet connections at my home, at my work, and at a friend's house.  I have also tried this both in my house with the wifi off as well as through cellular where no wifi is available.  The same thing occurs where the app crashes within 5 seconds.

I do not currently use VPN on this phone.

I still have my previous iPhone 11 that no longer has cellular data, but can be used with wifi.  I have updated the 11 to have both iOS 16.2 and Spotify 8.7.92.521 and everything seems to be working just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey @givenmt,

Thanks for your reply and the detailed info shared.

Just to confirm, if you open the web player on the affected mobile device, is it working as it should? It'd be awesome if you could check,

On another note, does it happen if you open a different account on the affected device? It’ll help us isolate this behavior if you could check. You can ask for the account of a relative or a friend to open it in your device and check.

It'd be really helpful if you send us a video recording of what you kindly mentioned. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Lastly, we suggest you check if the app has some restrictions on playing in the background. Locate the Apps option in your phone's settings and then select Manage Apps. Scroll down to find Spotify and tap on it. Choose Battery saver/Background data settings and reset the background settings as No Restrictions.

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

@AlejaR,

We must be making a little progress because for the first time I was able to log out of my account on the Spotify app and a family member was able to log in.  I have attached two different videos that show how my app is closing down.  My family member's account works through the app.  As soon as I log back into my account on the app, it goes back to crashing within a few seconds.

You will also see that the web version of my account does work.

I have made sure that there are no restrictions to the background settings.

https://youtu.be/EQivvUnzGpc

https://youtu.be/IbfDYSfEvog

Thank you again for your help.

Michael

Hey @givenmt,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the troubleshooting you've done so far!

By showing us that the Spotify App works as expected on another account but not on yours, you got us thinking that this might be an account related issue. Would you mind creating a free account for testing purposes and try opening the app to see if you'll experience the same. This will help us understand if it's account related or not. 

We'll be on the lookout for your answer and we'll see what we can suggest next. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

LyubkaModerator

@Lyubka,

I have created a test account on my phone and it seems to be working just fine, similar to what I experienced with a different user's account.  Guessing my issue is account related as you suggested above since the "test" one works.

What do you suggest?

Thank you!

Hey @givenmt,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation!

If it's working alright on the new account, you can transfer all your saved content over to your new account in a few easy steps - just check out this Spotify Answer for more info.

In the above mentioned FAQ you'll find a step in which you'll be asked to make all you playlist public on your old account. We'd suggest to do that using your old device (iPhone 11) where the app seems to be working as well.

Let us know if we can elaborate more on something! We're always one reply away 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts