Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why are podcast playback speed and sleep options missing in my iPhone app?

Why are podcast playback speed and sleep options missing in my iPhone app?

Using the Spotify app in my iPhone 11 to listen to podcasts with no problem until Monday when the playback speed and sleep buttons had disappeared from the Spotify play screen. I use these a lot and tried to fix it. First I restarted my phone but it did not work. Then I upgraded my iOS from iOS 16.2 to 16.3.1, but that did not help. I restarted the phone again, no luck. I removed the app and reinstalled it still nothing. Only when I logged out and back in to Spotify did it work, but whenever I close the app and then open it up again the buttons are missing. Others I know have iOS 16.3.1 and Spotify and that doesn't happen to them. Why is this happening to my account/app. I use Facebook to login to Spotify by the way. Thanks.
7 Replies

Hey @accaliman,

Thanks for reaching out and kudos for the troubleshooting you've tried so far.

As a next step, can you please check if those options are available from the context menu in the Now playing view? If not, please let us know your Spotify version. 

Looking forward to your reply.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't know how to get this improvement idea to Spotify's development people, but I've long thought that the platform is missing a button to change the playback speed and slow down listening.
I love to read the lyrics and sing them above, but I always listen to music in other languages. Thanks to music I am learning Korean, for example, and I would like to be able to listen slower to learn the pronunciations. Or in case of podcasts, slowing down, many times it would give me a chance to understand better.
It would have to be a button like the volume with an element that can be moved to slow down a track and adjust it to the speed I require to be able to listen in detail to lyrics or in case of musical arrangements, to be able to play tracks with instruments or write melodies on a score.

almost similar question: I updated spotify on iPhone to 8.8.18.559 and the playback speed options have changed back to the old 0.8-1-1.1.2X- etc playback interface, instead of the nicer and more granular interface with 0.8, 0.9, 1, 1.1x - etc options.

I would love to have these options back - it's an often used feature!

IMG_164E584BA1DD-1.png

Recently, the Spotify app on my iPhone allowed me to change the playback speed of podcasts so I could select in increments of .1 (1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc) instead of just 1, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2 etc. I really liked this changed but a few days it went back to the old options and I'm not sure why. I don't remember updating the app prior to the change. Is there any way to get the new option back?

Hey @WendyP

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

On another note, you can consider adding your +VOTE to this idea, if this is a feature you'd like to see implemented in the future. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. 

Check out this FAQ to learn more about it. 

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni

Thank you for your message. Question from my side:

The link you send me is for a new feature (voted of course), however for the past months I already had this feature: I had a nice 'rotating interface' with more granular options. The screenshot above is what I have now and what I used to have several months ago. 

So, where did this feature go? was I in a test group? 

And more importantly: how can I get it back?

Hey @WendyP,

We’re always testing possible improvements and new features, so you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. It's unfortunately not possible to re-enable this feature for you, however, we appreciate your feedback.

Take care,

MihailYModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts