Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone app keeps crashing!!!

Solved!

iPhone app keeps crashing!!!

Just upgraded to Premium and my iPhone app keeps crashing, the minute I log in it's gone. Tried deleting, reinstalling, deleting all my playlists- nothing works!

Very frustrated and wondering what I can do. Recently upgraded to Premium and now even more frustrated as it's worse than when I was using the free version.

COme on spotify!

298 Replies

We have found one bug that can cause the app to crash after startup, however after your descriptions I suspect some of you are experiencing some other bug. So, we are still troubleshooting.

Throwing my experiences into the pot for troubleshooting:

• iPhone 3GS (32GB)
  • iOS 5.0.1
  • ~2GB free (with a clear Spotify cache -- obviously that drops down to basically zero as it fills up)
  • 29 playlists
  • 3 offline playlists (~100 tracks)
  • Only 12 friends linked
  • Stream & Sync both set to High Quality

(I was going about to list total number of tracks too, since most are pretty moderate, 30-50 tracks. Until I remembered that Spotify created an 'iTunes' import playlist when I originally set it up, so that's about 4500+ tracks right there... I never actually use or touch that playlist, so I should probably delete it in case it has any relevance to the problem simply by being attached to my user account.)

Observations:

- Spotify crashes on a regular basis, probably 2-3 times an hour on average. Only while playing music, not on startup.

- It's about equally prevalent with streaming tracks (whether wifi or 3G) and with offline playlists (whether in offline or online mode). i.e.: It's not a data connection issue.

- Sometimes (particularly while streaming) the audio will stutter or skip a few times before the app crashes. It's also somewhat more prone to crashing while manually scrubbing through a song.

- Crashes have no relation to the size of the Spotify cache or the free space remaining on the device. Crashes occur just as frequently after the cache is freshly cleared -- either automatically by the iPhone, by running out of free space and then trying to add/update another app; or manually, by reinstalling Spotify -- as when the cache is 1.5GB+ and the phone is running out of space.

- Crashes occurred just as frequently under iOS 4.3

- Crashes occurred just as frequently when I first began using Spotify and the iPhone app and had very few (5-10) playlists. (Although, as mentioned above, I've always had that one huge "iTunes" playlist on my profile from the beginning.)

- Crashes occur whether "Private Session" is toggled on or off.

- Crashes occur whether on battery or on charge.

- Crashes occur whether listening to audio through headphones, loudspeaker, or while docked (to a variety of devices).

- No amount of rebooting, reinstalling, freeing up space, etc., has helped. The problem has been ongoing for months, so I've had plenty of time to test the variables.

My inclination is to blame the cache -- or, more specifically, the way the Spotify "pieces together" tracks from the cache in order to play them as a contiguous unit, since I'm assuming tracks are cached as split, encoded pieces the same way they are on the desktop clients.  (In fact my suspicion originates from the fact that the desktop clients themselves have a tendency to hang at particular points in a track that then require manual scrubbing to bypass, even though the remainder of the track is successfully cached already... which suggests that there's simply a hitch transitioning from one split cache segment of a track to the next, rather than in the actual data download.)

I'm happy to test any other scenarios or variables if it will help, since the iPhone is no longer my primary audio device and I don't mind desyncing/reinstalling/wiping offline playlists, etc.

[ Edit: speeling ]

Me too. Just changed to premium one week ago. What a downer! Please fix this!

I've already downgraded - got sick of  throwing my money away for a product that doesn't work. I suggest everyone else does the same until Spotify begins to take it's customers seriously.

I'd also suggest that Spotify takes a good look at the existing development team. Might be worth employing a few people who have the knowledge to create a stable iOS app.

Same here....

I went premium last Friday. iPad app worked great Saturday. iPhone worked great on Sunday. Monday, iPhone app crashed on load (and continues to). iPad app is the same.

I've tried reinstalling on my iPad/Phone. I've also tried a first-time app install on my wifes pad/phone. App crashes 2-10seconds after load everytime.

Please provide some feedback about where a fix for this stands. Until that happens, I will be downgrading....

I'm having exactly the same problem with my iphone 3gs app. I really don't feel that £10 a month is worth paying for a service that I use predominantly on my phone which doesn't work properly, has there been any attempt to try and fix these issues???

Experiencing the exact same problem on both my iPhone 3GSs and my iPad 2 Spotify crashes after a few minutes of playing and this occurs with increasing frequency. Love Spotify, but will cancel subscription if this problemis not resolved.

I'm sick and tired of this now.

Tried running Spotify today afer a real bad week of it, and it just crashed out. I'm off to downgrade my acount. It's seriously crap.

Not only does spotify not work, the customer service is non existent. I've had no follow up on the support calls I've logged and staff are just ignoring the threads on these forums. I'd urge anyone experiencing issues in the uk to log a complaint to consumer direct at the following link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/Governmentcitizensandrightscont...

I'll do that right now. Cheers.
Marked as solution

Ok, the Spotify product, for the most part could be a great value. While many artists are absent (Eagles, Beatles (naturally), Bob Seger, etc.) the product, at least on paper, is a great advancement in preferential music listening.

However, all of that is negated by the performance on iPod Touch (and iPad too). The application is horrendously unstable; to the point of making it unworthy of the cost. I have followed the strings in these boards and I gotta tell you, not one solution has worked for me. I am running the latest O/S. I do not have an early generation iPod Touch. This is no fun. And, frankly, use of the term 'premium' under these conditions is just plain hype.

So Spoitfy management: either fix the problems or admit that they are beyond your capabilities to fix, and expect an Exodus to other emerging services / competition.

These guys seem to have no clue about how to fix this.

All the usual...

check for updates
close down other apps
delete and reinstall
etc
etc
etc

They have no other answers.

Until they can fix this total mess, vote with your wallet and cancel your premium subs. 'Premium'? What a joke.

I've reported this service to our governments consumer organisation. Spotify want your money, but can't/won't fix their crappy app

Hi, I have a problem with my iPhone 3GS crashing as well as my wife's. Here is what happens... When starting up Spotify it will show the last track that was playing when I paused (Call it track 'A'). I would go in to the playlist and play a different track (call that track 'B') which would play and possibly the next track but then crash returning to the home page. When starting the app again it will revert to the same place when I first started using it in track A. Sometimes also the app would be slow and just wouldn't even start playing a track before crashing. I have a dozen playlists with about 400 tracks. 2 playlists are offline and don't have any friends linked Cheers, Richie.

I have the same (or a similiar) issue. I recently bought spotify premium and downloaded the app for my iPhone 3GS. When I start the app it starts loading my playlists and such but crashes after 10 seconds. As commented by another user in this thread it doesnt crash in offline mode. I hope it will be fixed soon.

spotify worked perfectly until I had to send my phone back for service, after that I got a new phone, and spotify keeps crashing when I log in with my own account, but  I tried login in to my friends account, and I worked, what can I do? 

All,

Now my iPhone 4S Spotify App has been working! Both when connected over WiFi and 3G. GAH! Why?!

Very strange, my iPad still crashes on launch. 

Anyway, I've cancelled my premium subscription ($10/month is tooooo much for a beta app) and don't have time to QA an issue that should have surfaced before launch. 

Spotify team: Please update the apps and notify people when the updates go live. I love the idea of your service and would love to see it become a reality.

Was having a similar issue on my iphone 3gs. The app would crash after a few minutes of play.

It took forever to get support from Spotify (so frustrating!) but I finally did and am happy to report that after updating my IOS (from version 4.1 to 5) the problem appears to be resolved.

Make sure you have the latest IOS update. Hopet that helps anyone having this same issue.

My 2nd gen touch is just the same. It's terrible service. I shall be downgrading. We can only vote with our wallets.

Marked as solution

@nissephex wrote:

Bloody hell! I think I just solved it on my iPhone...

In the 3 seconds I had before the app crashed I managed to (quick as hell) click my way to settings and toggle the "Offline Mode". The app crashed directly after but the next time I started the app I was in "Offline Mode" and the app didn't crash. Then I just went into the the settings tab and untoggled the "Offline Mode" and everything worked like a charm. The music has now been playing for about 5 minutes without any crashes...

I even tried to restart the whole phone and it still works!

Does this work for anyone else out there or was I just really lucky?

Holy Moly you are genius!  This worked for me too(at least it is working so far).  I should go find some wood to knock on now...

Didn't work for me.

Suggested posts