Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone app keeps crashing!!!

Solved!

iPhone app keeps crashing!!!

Just upgraded to Premium and my iPhone app keeps crashing, the minute I log in it's gone. Tried deleting, reinstalling, deleting all my playlists- nothing works!

Very frustrated and wondering what I can do. Recently upgraded to Premium and now even more frustrated as it's worse than when I was using the free version.

COme on spotify!

298 Replies

And the long awaited update still hasn't resolved this issue. I'm pretty sure this will never be addressed.

I have had spotify premium app on iPhone 3GS for a couple of years now. I have reviewed this app before on app store and given it 5 stars. I have now written an updated review and feel I can only give it 2 stars as the frequent crashes are becoming more than just an irritation and in my opinion the app is broken. The app crashes randomly and frequently. It may happily play songs for an hour or so and then stutters and crashes. The play queue feature ( which was a much needed and welcome addition) seems to cause app to crash more often than not. Sometimes crashes immediately after you add a track, sometimes after several tracks. This then means any tracks you have added to playlist are lost which is really annoying! It will crash whether playing tracks from playlists or just random tracks from within the app-as I say no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen. I have updated to latest app version and am on IOS 5. It was working fine until about 3 months ago. Support from spotify has always been hit and miss but just lately there seems to be a complete lack of communication regarding this problem for iPhone/touch users. Instead all we here is how the Android version has been revamped. I'm sorry but I think us iPhone users have been patient enough and the usual fixes we have been asked to try ( reinstall, delete playlists etc) din't work. For £120 a year this is simply not acceptable and a once great app is now being ruined. If a fix is not forthcoming I will sadly be forced to cancel premium subscription along with many others judging by reviews and comments here.

For me the same issue here. I have a iPhone 3GS. Spotify plays one or two tracks and then it crashes. I downgraded my subscription to FREE... 😞

Samsung Galaxy II

app was working fine for a while, now it suddenly closes the moment I try to open it.

I purchased Premium a few days ago, and will be cancelling my subscription if this isn't fixed soon.

Same issue here. iPhone 3Gs and will cancel subskription also soon...fix it...!!

Spotify works fine on my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4S both running IOS5. However, our old iPhone 3GS running IOS 5 crashes frequently. I love spotify, but this is an irritating issue. Please resolve promptly. 

Add me to the list.  I have an Iphone 4 on ios 5 and I just installed the most recent update.  Any recommendations for alternative applications?

My iPhone 3Gs also keeps crashing.  This is very frustrating.  When I click on the app after it has crashed it usually goes through a "logging in" process and returns me to a track or so earlier than what I was listening to.  This needs to be fixed.  I'm not going to pay for another month with this service. 

Yesterday I had a formal reaction from Spotify on my 3GS app crash:

We’re really sorry that you’re still having problems. This crashing issue is taking some time to 
solve. We’d love to give you a totally fixed solution right now, but we can’t. When things go wrong, we 
want to make sure we fix them properly. Hope you understand. As one of our developers 'Soho' said in the thread, we are redeveloping parts of the app.

We appreciate this is a major inconvenience for you, but we’re moving just as quick as we can.

We hope that this issue will soon be resolved and that you can enjoy Spotify the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

If there is anything else we can do to help then please ask.

Thanks, 

Daniel 

Spotify Customer Service

....but Spotify is still happy to take your money, despite their admission that their app crashes?

Touch wood, since I got my iphone4s and a new account (old one: uziyerdaddy), my Spotify has only crashed once in 2 months, but I find it amazing that Spotify don't reimburse disaffected customers who haven't been able to use the service. In that respect, I am owed MANY months of subscription.

Come on Spotify, if you can't fix this yet, then DON'T expect people to pay for your trashed app!!!

What's up with this iPhone app?

Everything has worked quite well up until for a few weeks ago.

Now it crashes randomly.

It can't play the "What's new" in correct order. 

I tried to reinstall it, it got a little better for an hour or so. But then it started behave bad again.

If it works don't fix it....

Marked as solution

Looks to me that with the new 0.5.0 version the problems are solved. This afternoon I played at least one hour continuously. Fingers crossed!

And it keeps on crashing.

Sadly still crashing for me also 😞

Doesn't sound great. I'll do the update tonight and see whether the crashes still keep occurring for me. It seems to crash mainly when I add songs to the play queue, but also suffers from random crashes as well. Are the crashes random for you as well, or have you noticed any particular consistency or similar behaviour before the crash?

Hi, for me it crashes randomly usually between 10 and 20 mins. The whole app shuts down mid song, it doesnt matter whether it's streaming or downloaded. Initially I thought the new update may have fixed it but it crashed after 30 mins or so when testing it last night.

Same for me. I can see no pattern in the crashes.

That's what happens to me, although it does seem to crash more frequently when using play queue feature. I'll download update and hope for the best I guess!! I'll let you know how I get on.

Just canceled my premium account. I've been following this thread for a while and am finished with this issue being ignored for an already over-priced service.

Pathetic.

I'm posting my cancelation and reasons on ever social media site I'm on.

Nice work, Spotify.

I believe I have found a solution to this problem. The iphone app was consistently crashing on me after 30-45 minutes of use. On a whim, I decided to try turning auto-lock off, forcing the screen to remain on while the app played. I have had zero crashes since doing this, after several hours of playback. Obviously, this is not an ideal solution, since it drains the battery very quickly, but it's a decent workaround until they release a real fix.

Suggested posts