Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"An Error Occured: Try Again" Message Everywhere. App nearly unusable. [Version 1.0.0.3251]

Solved!

"An Error Occured: Try Again" Message Everywhere. App nearly unusable. [Version 1.0.0.3251]

Hello,

After upgrading to Spotify version 1.0.0.3251, I have had numerous issues with connecting, searching, and playing music as a Premium user. No matter what I do, whether it is under Browse, Discover, Radio, Search, Playlists, or my own user profile, I simply see the message "An error occured" and does not disappear no matter how many times I click the "try again" button. This occurs on both WiFi and cellular, even when other iPhone apps are able to successfully connect to the internet. When the Spotify app is in this pseudo-offline state, the only things I can do is play my offline-saved songs from my Starred list and change some in-app settings, but nothing more. It will not update with any changes I have made to my playlists from my desktop either.

The only way I have been able to get the Spotify app to reconnect to the service is by fully restarting my iPhone, and that only works some of the time. In the unlikely event that this does restore service, it doesn't last for very long, and it reverts to its "offline" state usually the first time I close the app or switch between WiFi and cellular.

Here are some things I've done to try to fix it:

• Force-quitting Spotify from the iPhone task switcher. This changes nothing and does not fix the problem.
  • Logging out and back in. While Spotify allows me to log back in, everything still says "An error occured. This does not work.
  • Deleting the Spotify app and reinstalling it. Also does not work, even after successfully logging in as above. Also deletes all my backed up songs.
  • Reseting my network settings from iPhone settings menu. This helps none whatsoever.
  • Connecting via different WiFi networks / cellular settings. This also changes nothing. Remains in offline state.
  • Restarting the iPhone fully. This only sometimes work, and if it does, it quickly reverts to the ubiquitous "Error has occured" message.
  • Mashing random buttons and icons. Doesn't help, but makes me feel slightly better.

My Specifications: 

• Model: iPhone 5 (AT&T GSM)
  • iOS Version: 7.0.4 (Jailbroken, but this was never an issue before 1.0.0.3251. No extensions target Spotify.)
  • Spotify Version: 1.0.0.3251
  • Spotify Status: Premium (University Discount)
  • Username: kanosea

If you need any more information, just let me know. I have iFile installed, so I can dig up any files you need if you give me the filepath.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Try this:

Go to your Spotify account @ spotify.com, log-in, head to the offline devices tab and remove those devices.

Log-out of the spotify app, uninstall, install from app store, and log-in again and try again.

And make sure your Spotify app is on 1.1.0 - thats the latest.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Almost all the things you described were already done. But after unlinking all devices on spotify.com and 10 times with a cold reboot (power off) it works now. Thnak you for your help

Marked as solution

wierdest thing, but its working after i did this... (which makes no sense honestly but maybe it'll help someone...)

from the app on my phone i clicked the menu screen (three bars at the top left corner) and tapped on my account (the picture and name at the bottom. at that point it pulled up recent artist i listened too... i tapped on one  of the artists and it pulled that up... from that point the app unlocked and the glitch stopped happening... very strange indeed...

Marked as solution

Solved! I saw that the download process had something wrong, when I downloaded the app using my wifi network the progress meter move slowly until 70 percent then quickly moves to full and the error appears. I used my 4G connection and works normally, it seems it's related to download process in Apple's App Store app

Marked as solution

SOLVED: I had this error on iOS 10.2 Iphone7.  Tried everything, rebooting, reinstalling, removing deviceson web, nothign worked.  I saw "Try Again".  So, I killed the app, turned off wifi on my phone, and then booted Spotify app.  It connected to their servers and problems were solved.  I then turned wifi back on.  

Marked as solution

Got the same issue with my iPhone7. Did the uninstall-install the app process then tried using the cellular data instead of wifi. This works. When I try to turn back to wifi though, issue occurs when I try to search for a song or an artist. So what I did is I looked for 1 artist then play the songs on 1 album using cell data then while playing, i switched it to wifi. So far, it solves the issue.

49 Replies

Hey there!

Does holding the home button and the lock button until the apple boot logo appears, make a difference? 

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

As I said in the original post, restarting the iPhone (even forcibly via the two-button shortcut) only temporarily fixes the "offline" issue, and it quickly reverts to its broken state. It would be nice to not have to restart my phone every time I want to search for a song or artist.

I have the same problem.  It is exremely annoying after playing my offiline playlist it fixes and I am able to search and or browse and listen to music not already on my playlists.  Why does it do this?  Never had this problem before the update.  I have an iphone 5 not jailbroken.

Got the same problem here... iOS 7.0.6, Iphone 5, spotify 1.1.0.2545 Any help is apreciated...
Marked as solution

Try this:

Go to your Spotify account @ spotify.com, log-in, head to the offline devices tab and remove those devices.

Log-out of the spotify app, uninstall, install from app store, and log-in again and try again.

And make sure your Spotify app is on 1.1.0 - thats the latest.
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Marked as solution

Almost all the things you described were already done. But after unlinking all devices on spotify.com and 10 times with a cold reboot (power off) it works now. Thnak you for your help

Nice! Great that its solved.
I'm here to shuffle!

this worked for me

same issues...i dont even have any devices linked to offline...have tried everything...bullocks!!!!

Same issues. Solution did not work for me. Issue is extremely annoying.

Mine still isn't working, I don't understand the jailbreak solution either? Mine keeps saying an error occurred, I've reset my phone and also turned wifi on and off again?

Mine also keeps coming up as an error has occurred when I try searching for new music on my Iphone.... everything else seems to work just fine.

Any solutions?

Board, Spotify,

How can this problem still be happenung to so many people when Spotify has been working on the issue for over a year?  I am getting this issue today - again.  

Ideas?

This just started happening to me half an hour back on Android and PC apps, while listening over Chromecast music. it's also happening on the web player.

I'm getting this issue too, started today on iPhone (5c) and iPad. Annoying. 

Same issue began today for me.

Getting the error for anything i try on the app besides playing music from my library.

I attempted to disconnected my offline device from my spotify account, logged out, uninstalled the app, rebooted my phone (iphone 5c), and re-installed the app. Same problem. Tried a cold boot, tried doing this multiple times, same problem...

Any further suggestions? Any idea what caused this? has there been an update recently?

This basically renders spotify useless so if i cant get this fixed soon i'm going to have to cancel my premium... which sucks because i love this service, use it more than any other app on my phone...

Marked as solution

wierdest thing, but its working after i did this... (which makes no sense honestly but maybe it'll help someone...)

from the app on my phone i clicked the menu screen (three bars at the top left corner) and tapped on my account (the picture and name at the bottom. at that point it pulled up recent artist i listened too... i tapped on one  of the artists and it pulled that up... from that point the app unlocked and the glitch stopped happening... very strange indeed...

This does not work for me. I have had this problem for more than two months and cannot find a posted solution that works. I don't want to switch music services but I am amazed that the Spotify engineers have not found a bug fix for this and released it yet.

You can get a particular song that way but go to "Search" and you will get another error message. What is happening is you can listen to any song you have already listened to but you can't listen to new songs anymore. Since this is why we pay for Premium, the app is useless. I am giving it another week and if no one has a solution, I am dumping Spotify. This is ridiculous.

Suggested posts