Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Auto Playlist Order

Android Auto Playlist Order

Plan

Premium

Country

USA 

Device

(Samsung Galaxy Note 5)

Operating System

(Android 7.0)

My Question:

Can you add an option menu to the Android auto gui, so that when I select a playlist from my library, my car plays the songs in a specific order (e.g. date added, artist, album, alphabetical). This option is in the android app; however, I can't select these preferences when I hook my phone up using Android auto. Android auto plays the playist in default order (no option to change the order in which it is played). I have a playlist that has a bunch of songs and would like it if I had the option to play the most recently added ones first.

21 Replies

THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY, makes me not use it tbh

Agree 100%! Huge disappointment and I barely use the app as a result.

I agree, this option needs to be in Android Auto (or atleast to use the last used playlist order). FYI: one work around is to already open the playlist on your phone and sort it however you'd like, and perhaps select the first song to play. When you then open spotify on android auto, the playlist will be sorted how you set it. (But it won't last if you come back to the playlist another time - have to do this every time)

Me also!  It also seems to happend when you ask Alexa to start playing a specific playlist too.  Very annoying.

Same problem here. I actually just activated Android Auto in my car (340€!!!) and created a premium family account with my brother, because i wanted to listen to my most recently discovered music. But if you have a playlist which is 100+ tracks long, it is simply not possible to listen to the new music you just discovered. There is neither a way to scroll backwards in playlist, nor a way to scroll down 100 tracks fastly.

This so so disappointing that i really regret buying it for my car und creating a spotify account.

Please fix this!

Best regards.

So annoying!! Just got a car with android auto and was shocked to see that I can't sort my Playlist. 

I'd like to see this issue sorted as well. The fix is as simple as allowing one platform to be the master, either PC or phone and everything using these settings. This is also a pain on the Samsung TV app. 

The workaround for Android Auto is to open Spotify on your phone, select the playlist, press play and then pause, connect  the phone to your car's infotainment system, let android auto  fire up and then press play on the car screen. Sadly, you need to go through the whole rigamarole each time you change playlist.

I created my own Workaround to permanent reorder the playlists.

I use a Python Script running on a Raspberry Pi to reorder my playlist every hour to "date added" on top. (the Script could be used on any PC running Python)

Feel free to use the Script an Instructions:

https://github.com/OberstVonGatow/SpotifyReorder

Great job, i'll test it soon.

If you need help let me know 😉

Does this work for android auto? This means the playlist has a defined order and it not simply a default to "oldest first"? I was also thinking that maybe its better to set it to a cheap AWS lambda function than to have a raspberry pi :). Thank you for the script, it might be a lifesaver.

The Playlist rearrenges the playlist to "oldest first" so you could choose custom sorting on Android/IOs (and the default Android Auto) and still have "oldest first" sorting (like you can rearrange on PC).

A Web Service would be better of course but i'm not willing to invest more time/money because of Spotifys laziness. And i'm not an JavaScript Expert and my Rasperry is running anyway.

But if someone could implement it i would be happy to be beta tester 😉

(I tried to build a IFTTT at first but the API there couldn't do rearrange)

2 years later and the sh.. still doesn't work. How can it be that CarPlay keeps the "last added first" in my playlist while it doesn't work Android Auto. Get your act together and talk to Google if you can't figure it out. Or actually change the playlist sequence instead of just filtering it. It sucks. Makes listening to Spotify in my car totally useless for me cause I almost always use Self created playlists.

Made a new ticket for this feature, you can vote here.

This seems like such a common feature request yet I don't understand why Spotify doesn't seem to have this planned for implementation.

I also have playlists sorted by recently added and would love to have the most recent tracks added to be played first when connected to android auto

Hello Everyone,

I saw that an acceptable idea is when there is a certain amount of likes.... 50 I think.

But no "idea" has 50 likes at itself. So Spotify ignore them because they doesn't meet requirements.

But what if we cumulate like of all the same idea ?

So... yes likes were saved a different month/year...

It's note like it's a bug that need a quick correction (in that case it's normal to have 50likes in a month....).

So for an idea, where here is for Android Auto (not all of the people use this app), I think it's normal to have discontinuous likes over months.

Where is this functionality? How hard can it be to develop it, Spotify developers? I need to scroll 300 numbers to get to recents songs! wth!!! 😮

This is so stupid. Even the daily mixes change their sort order as soon as I connect to Android Auto, so it seems like I keep listening to the same songs over & over when going from listening via phone vs AA.

Suggested posts