Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the feedback you’ve given us so far. We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously, and do want your continued feedback. The best way for us to measure your comments are via votes in our Idea Exchange. 

For this reason we're going to lock this thread. We encourage you to move to the Idea Exchange area where you can vote and comment on feature requests. The idea most relevant to this thread is below:

Rest assured that your opinion matters to us and that it goes into making Spotify the best it can be.

View solution in original post

518 Replies

Thank u about time😀

Well, this is useless.. if I pause music the drop-down in the notification panel of Spotify disappears.. It will only show up when music is playing. So many extra taps now just to play music..

Its  a bad idea. I used it every day.

I have an empty home screen where the widget was, forever blank.....

EDIT

It does seem like you guys are trying to make the app more like iOS, as they dont have widgets ETC.

I will not update my Spotify on my other devices on Android, so I can keep the widget. I will also sideload the last version on my current device, which I mistakenly updated.

This is absolutely ridiculous! Why would you do that??

The suggested replacement doesn't work. Dropping down the menu only shows my Android setting shortcuts. Samsung S10+. This update continues the downhill slide of the previous ones that everyone is unhappy about. A-Z slider and Recently Played, and My Songs. 

Screenshot_20190813-011704_Spotify.jpg

This is honestly so annnoying. Now a giant blank lies in the middle of my home page. Please add this back, i use this feature so many times everyday. 

Don't like it. It is useless. I want widget back. I use widget every day.

Why on earth would you remove it? Surely loads of people use it...

Does it actually cause a problem that requires it to be removed?

As soon as I match my playlists with Amazon Music I'm gone...

This is the worst. You guys look embarrassing next to Pandora and Black Player. Google play music, Amazon, and even Samsung all have widgets. Really starting to reconsider my subscription.

Screenshot_20190812-105451_ADW Launcher.jpg

Man, you guys really are making it hard for music lovers to still love you! The amount of stuff you remove to "help" make a better user experience is astounding. I never thought I'd say this, but I reckon I'm ready to give Apple Music or Tidal a go. The things you choose to focus on (and mostly remove) really do blow my mind. You have countless ideas with thousands of people begging for them, yet you continue to ignore them or pretty much say "Ahhh we're just not gonna do that. Don't feel like it." wth? Do better, or at least explain yourself better! Seriously. At the bottom of your post you legitimately have a link that says "If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change." Then when you get to that article, I kid you not, this is all that's written, "At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period. Let us know what you think over at our Community" What a joke. You have pretty much 0 transparency and don't seem to care about your devoted users AT ALL. 

I want widget back. I am use widget every day.

So do I....

I use this widget every day multiple times. 

Rubbish move

I used the widget every single day. Why would you remove something that makes using your product easier? What a trash decision.

Why?? I used that ALL THE TIME! 

You can't start spotify from the notification list and it disappears quite soon after pausing the music! This is a set back! 🤬😔

I use that widget with easy. now i have to do extra clicks to listen to music. and when its paused it stops showing up on the drop screen. What was wrong with the widget. it works perfectly fine, and made multitasking on the phone easier. bring it back.

If this doesnt come back I will be finding another music provider. 

I used this every day. I've literally never heard of anyone complaining there IS a widget for something, only that there's NOT a widget. What an absolutely bizzare move. Bring it back.

Suggested posts