Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

HELP! Spotify Tried to Double My Subscription Cost

Solved!

HELP! Spotify Tried to Double My Subscription Cost

I have been using Spotify for a couple of years as an Unlimited subscriber.  I enjoy the service and many friends have subsequently signed up, I even trained them how to get the best out of it.

I recently purchased an Android o/s tablet PC.  I tried to get Spotify on it but it said I had to upgrade my subscription to 'Premium' which doubled the cost.  My usage of Spotify will be the same as with my old laptop.  Wi-fi connection in my kitchen, occasionally wi-fi connection when I'm on holiday.  I never, ever use, and would never ever use it on my mobile phone, ever.  I would never, ever us it offline.  I don't want better sound quality, it's just fine as it is.  I use it a couple of hours a week that's all.

I've sent correspondence to Spotify to say that I can't justify paying double the amount.  At £10 a month, it's almost the same price as our mandatory TV licence, it just isn't worth it to me, I can't justify any company doubling their price for no extra service.  I have received back a no frills, like it or lump it response, no mention of thanks for referrals, nothing.  Basically, 'goodbye then'.

I have done or said something wrong, my tablet doesnt even connect to the mobile network?  They haven't justified why they could just double the price to £120 per annum.  They have just said it's because I'm using a mobile device, which is incidentally no more mobile than my old laptop.  I just don't get it at all.

Can anyone help please, I love this service but am at a loss as to why they want to increase my charges by 100 percent.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Under the current Spotify system, all mobile phones and tablets are counted as mobile devices, regardless of their connectivity. This is mainly the case because there is no easy way to differentiate between phones and tablets as they run the same mobile operating systems. Using Spotify on any mobile device requires a premium subscription, thats just the way it works unfortunately (unless you are in the USA, in which case radio is free on mobile). 

There have been several topics and discussions about making unlimited accounts able to use mobile devices, the main one being here.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Under the current Spotify system, all mobile phones and tablets are counted as mobile devices, regardless of their connectivity. This is mainly the case because there is no easy way to differentiate between phones and tablets as they run the same mobile operating systems. Using Spotify on any mobile device requires a premium subscription, thats just the way it works unfortunately (unless you are in the USA, in which case radio is free on mobile). 

There have been several topics and discussions about making unlimited accounts able to use mobile devices, the main one being here.

Peter

Peter

Thanks for taking the time out to post your response.

FYI, I posted this in the comments section of your link:

<snip>

Great contributions by all.  I love the Spotify Unlimited service, and the points above are absolutely correct.  My usage is no different to what it was before, the only difference is that I have purchased a wi-fi enabled android tablet PC.  My usage is not worth £10 a month by a long stretch.

More Spotify users will no doubt receive tablets as Christmas presents, or pursue this hardware upgrade path in the future without realising that their subscription will have to double in price for their favourite service.

Well, I've taken this route.  I've cancelled my subscription (temporarily I hope), so Spotify will lose my £5 a month, I'll gain £5 a month, and the additional £5 a month isn't now an issue for any party.  Whenever Spotify want the money back, they can enable Spotify Unlimited on tablets for £5 a month.  In the meantime, I'll pursue other routes that supply a similar service, because, well hey, that's business.

I am also a supporter of that Idea 😉 so I got an email as soon as you posted on it. 

I seriously hope something can be done about it. I am a premium subscriber so it doesn't effect me directly, however, I can see a strong arguement for allowing unlimited on WiFi only devices. 

On another note, there is a beta release of the web based client which you might be able to use from your tablets browser (probably slowly, but it does work on my BlackBerry Playbook) instructions of how to access the beta are posted by Stupify here. It should work with any account type.

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts