Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Paying via Paysafe-Card and other Prepaid methods

Paying via Paysafe-Card and other Prepaid methods

Today Netflix contacted me to state they did not receive payment for the month due to my card number not being recognised.  I realised immediately that this was due to me receiving a new card two months ago after someone from the Philippines tried to fraudulently take money out from my main account.  Thankfully Barclays recognised the transaction as fraudulent and cancelled my card and sent me a new one.  I gave my new number to Netflix and everything was sorted.  I also spoke to my bank after checking all my other direct debits and they told me that some companies use direct debits or in the case of Netflix a continuous card payment.

Spotify premium was not affected and for the two months I have been signed to the premium service the £9.99 fee has come out of my account around the seventeenth of each month.  My last payment came out on 17/11/14.  When I checked my account details through Spotify they held my old card number which confused me as no payments can come from a cancelled card.  I updated my card number but am perplexed as to how Spotify could still draw a fee from my account even though the card number given had changed.  My logical reasoning suggests that you have my eight digit card number too as there can be no other explanation as to the continuation of the transaction.  As it stands everything is fine.  Payments have come out of my account reguarly and nothing untoward has happened.  What I'm trying to work out is if Spotify is a direct debit payment rather than a continuous card payment like Netflix.  This would make sense that the payment process has continued uneffected by the main card number.  Can anyone confirm this?  I only ask as although I can change the main number on Spotify I couldn't find out how to change the smaller number making me think that I didn't give the smaller number in the first place.  If not then how can Spotify draw funds from my main account by using a cancelled card number.  This is all rather confusing.

2 Replies

Thanks for the reply but I spoke to my bank this morning and they said once a card has been cancelled so has the long number so no payments can be taken without a new number.  The only way payments can continue is if the smaller number is the one used to set up the account which is why direct debits are not affected when a new card is issued.  I'm not interested in quitting the premium service.  I just want to know why money was taken out of my account after the old number was cancelled and I failed to update the new number.  The only way this can happen is if the transaction is a direct debit not if it is a continuous card payment. 

Spotify have never offered a direct debit payment option in the UK as far as I am aware. Spotify subscriptions are continuous rolling credit/debit card payments or via PayPal so I'm not sure what is going on. Since Direct Debits are set up by your bank upon request they should be able to tell you if Spotify are collecting money by that method. 

You can also get in touch with the Spotify payments team directly using the online contact form and they can look into your payment history in a little more detail for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts