Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unlimited not working with Sonos

Unlimited not working with Sonos

Hi,

I've paid for unlimited and use spotify for my Sonos player. It was working fine after I upgraded to Unlimited from free for a few days. Suddenly, none of my tracks play and a message box says that I need to "become a full subscriber".

I'm baffled about this. I am a fully paid up subscriber.

If anyone can help I'd very much appreciate it as I don't have time to read the desparately long and complicated help pages.

Thanks,

Al

17 Replies

Hey Al!

There are two different types of subscription - Unlimited and Premium. In order to use Spotify on a Sonos device, a Premium subscription would be needed.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for your message - really appreciate it. My friend has a Sonos and he only has the unlimited subscription - it works fine.

Also, it was working for me for about a week, then has stopped working. If I had the wrong subscription, wouldn't it have not worked from the beginning?

Al

Hi Al- It seems you were on our 30 day Premium trial in the beginning of March.

During that trial you would've been able to use your Sonos device just fine. Since then you've downgraded to Unlimited which is why you're having some trouble now.

You can upgrade to Premium from Unlimited quite easily from your subscription page.

I have Premium, and it's not working worth 2¢ on Sonos.  The app works fine on it's own on Mac, PC, and iOS.

Something is wrong with Spotify on Sonos.  The Sonos works fine with everything else as well.

So, if this doesn't get resolved, I'm dumping Spotify.  It used to work just fine, and my 100Mbit cable is more than enough for this service...

ScottHas Spots - What is happening exactly?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

i have the same problem. i have a premium account and spotify used to work on sonos. it stopped working a few weeks ago saying it couldnt play songs. i tried reseting the account on sonos but the spotify site isnt sending me the password email. the site says an email was sent but i never receive it (yes ive checked my spam). this seems to be a common problem lately. 

all my other services work so i might be dropping spotify if this isnt resolved soon. 

Techoguy - If your get in touch with Customer Support, they'll be able to send one through. Just head to 'About us' above, then 'Contact Form'. They'll get back to you as soon as they can.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I am tricked, and I am very angry. I bought a Sonos, because I wanted Spotify and was just about to buy an Unlimited subscription when -thank God - I decided to first try the free account to see if it worked at all. The answer was clear: it only works with the most expensive Premium subscription.

I am angry with the shop who did not tell me this. And I am very angry with Sonos / Spotify. What kind of policy is this? I could try to understand that the free subscription would stop after a while, but not that the Unlimited paid version does. 

Now finally the big record companies are losing their destructive grip on the music industry, Sonos / Spotify are filling that gap. It really makes me sick.

I am going back to illegal downloading again. 

Both Spotify and Sonos clearly say that a premium subscription is needed so it sounds like the shop where you bought your device mislead you. You could probably ask them for a refund in that case.

Hi Joe,

You are right about the shop and they will hear from me tomorrow.

I do not agree that Sonos and Spotify are clear on the mater. I haven't investigated their sites thoroughly, but after a few minutes of strolling around I still don't see it. Without a doubt it will be printed somewhere, but it's not clear. Especially not to a newbie in streaming content like myself.

Don't get me wrong, I have the Sonos one day now and I think it is awesome, I love it already. I just hate the fact that music is still overpriced. I think if I do my best I will listen for 10 euros worth of music per year. What I mostly listen to is my older music that I have on my network (copied from CD's I bought, or downloaded it to replace my LP's). I would rather have a pay-per-song system for streaming music. That not being around, I think 5 euros per month is much for what I would listen to, but nevertheless a fair price. 10 euros is just too much for me.

I just hate the fact that music is still overpriced.

Surely 10 euros a month (which is what, the cost of one album?) to have access to an entire catalogue of music is ridiculously cheap. Streaming has made music far cheaper, but in all honesty I don't think it will ever get any cheaper. 

Just my 2 cents.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Your right £9.99 is not a lot but why do sonos users in isolation have to pay this when all other users have a choice of either free,  unlimited  or premium ??? Understandably people than start to think hey I'm being ripped off. Who is at fault here sonos or spotify. I certainly would pay for the unlimited version but not the premium. Time for me to look elsewhere

Its not just Sonos @libel11 - Spotify is only free on the Spotify made desktop, tablet and mobile apps. Playback through any "hardware device" such as Sonos and Squeezebox, or via a smart TV, or via a Spotify connect enabled speaker still requires a premium subscription. 

Most likely, it is related to advertising limits on those platforms (since you can't display a visual advert on Sonos for example). 

Peter

Well, I see that Spotify has lifted all time limits in a bid to keep up with newcomers like Beats. If I'm a paid Unlimited user, why the heck can't I listen to what I paid for on Sonos? Pandora lets me listen to my FREE account on Sonos. If Beats will let me, perhaps it's time for me to stop paying for limits. It really, really makes no sense.

The pandora paid account gives 192kbps streaming on Sonos and the free account, only 128kbps against spotify's 320kbps. Beats will only offer a 7 day free trial after which it will cost $10 a month for a much smaller catalogue and, currently, no availability on Sonos.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

I couldn't agree more. I also have a Spotify Unlimited subscription because I don't want to download any content, only stream.

I think that £5 is a fair price for streaming. The Sonos allows me to stream lots of content except the content via my Spotify unlimited subscription which is crazy and makes no sense whatsoever.

Does anyone know who we can escalate this to at Spotify/Sonos? Surely this policy needs to be reviewed.

I think it is down to the fact the Sonos integration only streams at 320kbps which is a Premium only feature.

Peter

Suggested posts