Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Allow Spotify to work with 3rd Party Equalizers

Solved!

Allow Spotify to work with 3rd Party Equalizers

I have a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1 (and 4.0 ICS before that) and have noticed that, while apps such as Google Music and Pandora seamlessly work with 3rd-party equalizers, Spotify doesn't seem to be able to utilize them.

I was wondering why that is, and if there is a plan to fix Spotify so that it can work with whatever API or requirement allows apps to utilize 3rd party equalizers that are available on Google Play such as Volume+?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Is there a app for equalizer that will work with Spotify handy what would the Apps name wood be and is it on Google Play

View solution in original post

12 Replies

FYI, we've been trying to get landscape mode for two years.  good luck with that. 🙂

As this is how it should be to behave as an audio app on Android should behave, I really hope they make the change.  It's kind of peculiar to see every single audio app I throw at my Galaxy Nexus able to take advantage of audio processing EXCEPT the Spotify app I love dearly kind of odd.

I'd at least like an explanation.  Especially when they used to work, but do not any longer.

Equalizer app works when using Bluetooth audio and Spotify.  But the equalizer no longer works when using headphones.  It was working on my HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus when I had ICS but now with JB the equalizer no longer works with Spotify when using headphones.  I've tried multiple equalizer apps and they all have this issue with Spotify.

Yup I'm missing this functionality too on 4.1. A real bummer... 😞

Yepp, same here Galaxy Nexus (maguro) and Jellybro (Jellybean 4.1.1)

No 3rd party equalizer work with spotify.

If we can not get an official answer from Spotify would it help to contact Google and argue for a withdrawal of the "top developer" listing as they clearly do not care about the official android API's which the 3rd party equalizer build uppon?

Just a Thought.

I love Spotify and the service they provide but I miss the extra *umpf* and the deep base.

--- Please Spotify, Give me the extra *umpf* ---

@lagus wrote:

Yepp, same here Galaxy Nexus (maguro) and Jellybro (Jellybean 4.1.1)

No 3rd party equalizer work with spotify.

If we can not get an official answer from Spotify would it help to contact Google and argue for a withdrawal of the "top developer" listing as they clearly do not care about the official android API's which the 3rd party equalizer build uppon?

Just a Thought.

I love Spotify and the service they provide but I miss the extra *umpf* and the deep base.

--- Please Spotify, Give me the extra *umpf* ---

that is a good idea... i have no idea what criteria google uses to qualify a "top developer" -- but they should be made aware of the woeful spotify android app, and the utter lack of fixes and support -- they definitely do not deserve any such accolade.

also, it may not be unreasonable to file a report with the better business bureau -- not necessarily regarding this issue, but with the overall lack of service and quality -- they currently have an F rating: http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/mobile-apps/spotify-in-new-york-ny-127561#reasonra...  afterall, this is a product that we pay for.

Missing the equalizer so much on Galaxy Nexus with JB! ;-(

I sent an support email to Spotify and got this response:

Spoiler
Thanks for contacting Spotify.

Our developers are in the process are bringing all the features up to date on the Android app, and this is very much work-in-progress. I have forwarded your message onto the technical department to register the interest in this.

I know this sounds obvious, but there are equaliser apps for Android which might fit your needs better than the built-in one? I don't know if that would be short-term solution to your problem? Obviously they are unsupported by Spotify, but I know some users have had success with that approach.

Anyway, keep an eye on the latest release of Spotify for the feature to be re-implemented.

Seems that they are sort of aware of the issue. But the statement about other third-party equaliser apps is not true. I mean yes it is true that there are other third-party equalizer apps out there that fit my needs better but  I don't believe that those work properly with Spotify and Jelly Bean. I tried several but none worked (with headphones).

You SOOO need to reply to that message and explain to them that, with ICS and JB, NO third party EQ app works at all, and that is the problem!

I don't want Spotify to have their own EQ, as it will likely never sound as good as Cyanogen's DSP.  I just want them to make the audio output of their app play nicely with standard Android APIs just like every other audio app out there.

I would seriously reply to them and try to explain their mistake about 3rd party EQs.

Actually on ICS / Gingerbread I used third-party Equalizers with Spotify without problems. I used both DSP Manager (from Cyanogen) and Equalizer and they both worked fine with Spotify. Until JB that is 😉

I thought mine worked fine on ICS as well, until I noticed that 3rd party EQs were unstable and would often not work.  I didn't notice for a while until I realized a few songs would get EQ playback, whereas other songs wouldn't no matter what I did to the DSP on Cyanogen.

It was weird.  My friends reported the same on/off performance too.

But yes, JB is a complete, flat no-go for 3rd party equalizers. And I don't think Spotify gets what we're wanting.

Marked as solution

Is there a app for equalizer that will work with Spotify handy what would the Apps name wood be and is it on Google Play

Suggested posts