Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop (Linux)

Discuss Spotify for Linux

Start a topic

Forum Posts

New "Now Playing View" sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new "Now Playing View" sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player to go along with the recently released "Your Library" sidebar. The Now Playing View in the right sidebar shows the album art and info of the current song or pod...

• Spotify Star
  • Spotify Star
  • MattSuda
  • Spotify Star
  • 1 replies
  • 1 likes
  • 1 replies
  • 1 likes

New Your Library sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player. The new Your Library sidebar is rolling out to all desktop users now, so you will be seeing it soon if you haven't already. The new Your Library sidebar improves nav...

Sidebar Tips.png Desktop Sidebar Compact View.png Compact Layout.png
  • Spotify Star
  • Spotify Star
  • MattSuda
  • Spotify Star
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Recent Linux client update changes

Hey! There has been an update to the Spotify Linux client signatures.Users may see errors linked to missing keys and failed signature verifications for Spotify when updating the system. If this happens to you, this can be fixed by manually adding the...

• Community Legend
  • ckier
  • Visitor
  • 24 replies
  • 37 likes
  • 24 replies
  • 37 likes

Solved!! [Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Having trouble with Spotify on your Desktop app? Here’s what to try first. Search the Community Someone might have asked your question on the Community before.So type your issue into the search box and have a look. Basic troubleshooting Go through th...

• Community Legend
  • sleeksorrow
  • Roadie
  • 151 replies
  • 33 likes
  • Linux
  • 151 replies
  • 33 likes

Solved!! Study/work auto time limits

Hi Spotify, just an idea, how about adding a function to set automatic time limits to your music playfeed? This could just be so that you can leave spotify playing and make sure it turns off if you go out or go to sleep. However, more usefully you co...

• Casual Listener
  • Hi Spotify, just an idea, how about adding a function to set automatic time limits to your music playfeed?   This could just be so that you can leave spotify playing and make sure it turns o...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
    Windows
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Failing to login on linux client with passwords containing spaces

Hello I've encountered a problem with logging in to the linux client. I was sure that my password was correct and it still failed to login. It seems that the login dialog of the Linux client can't handle passwords containing spaces. While the website...

• Hello   I've encountered a problem with logging in to the linux client. I was sure that my password was correct and it still failed to login. It seems that the login dialog of the Linux clie...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes

Both PC and tablet running Android version of Spotify

It did take me a while to dicide which forup to post on as it is to do with both Desktop and Android. I have just got a new tablet that I wanted to be able to run spotify on. I have Android 4.2.2 and I installed the latest version of Spotify. It work...

• Roadie
  • It did take me a while to dicide which forup to post on as it is to do with both Desktop and Android.   I have just got a new tablet that I wanted to be able to run spotify on. I have Androi...
  • TheGiantHogweed
  • Roadie
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes

Linux (Kubuntu) 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c9 stops playing when screen off

When the screen saver kicks in, or later when the screen is turned off, spotify stops playing. Can't tell which of the cases it is, but it doesn't matter. There is no option to turn that off. Can't have this behaviour as I have long periods where I w...

• When the screen saver kicks in, or later when the screen is turned off, spotify stops playing. Can't tell which of the cases it is, but it doesn't matter. There is no option to turn that off. Can'...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes

Show artist in Linux notifications

I'm glad to see that Linux spotify client 0.9.10.17 now has desktop notifications. However, only the album and song is shown and not the artist. An ideal format is --

• Casual Listener
  • I'm glad to see that Linux spotify client 0.9.10.17 now has desktop notifications. However, only the album and song is shown and not the artist. An ideal format is <artist>-<album>-<ti...
  • 0 replies
  • 25 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 25 likes

Bug uncovered - unable to stream tracks I own when those tracks are unavailable

Background: I have a duel boot (linux and windows) laptop computer and an external harddrive. When at home, I plug into the harddrive to access my music collection. When I am away, I depend on internet streaming. I am unable to stream those tracks wh...

• Casual Listener
  • Background: I have a duel boot (linux and windows) laptop computer and an external harddrive.  When at home, I plug into the harddrive to access my music collection.  When I am away, I depe...
  • icono99
  • Casual Listener
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Windows
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Major CD ripping failure.

HiThis is a very old problem that I hoped would be fixed by itself but now several years has passed. The encoding on at least the 160 Kbit/s version of these four songs are completely broken. (well the first 25 seconds of the first one works) spotify...

• Hi This is a very old problem that I hoped would be fixed by itself but now several years has passed. The encoding on at least the 160 Kbit/s version of these four songs are completely broken. (well...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
    Windows
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Advertisement blocks player

Greetings,I wanted to report something that has been hapenning regularly (about 1/2 times per day).There is this advertising that sometimes shows up and, unlike the other normal advertisings, this one has no sound and the player doesn't go forward. T...

• Greetings, I wanted to report something that has been hapenning regularly (about 1/2 times per day). There is this advertising that sometimes shows up and, unlike the other normal advertisings,...
  • 0 replies
  • 1 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 1 likes

[Linux] Spotify sometimes freezes my desktop?

I've had this issue the entire year or so I've been using Spotify but never thought to ask if it's a known issue or anything, until now. I use the Spotify for Linux preview, and every so often it will freeze up my desktop - the music is still playing...

• Casual Listener
  • I've had this issue the entire year or so I've been using Spotify but never thought to ask if it's a known issue or anything, until now.   I use the Spotify for Linux preview, and every so o...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 5 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 5 likes

How do I update Spotify on Linux ElementryOS?

I installed the Linux preview, but I dont get pop ups saying its ready to update. I dont think it does that on linux, but I might be wrong. Is there a way to manually update it or is it supposed to pop up like it normally does?

• I installed the Linux preview, but I dont get  pop ups saying its ready to update. I dont think it does that on linux, but I might be wrong. Is there a way to manually update it or is it suppose...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! Hacked or left it logged on

Someone is using my account take them off please

• Someone is using my account take them off please
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! [Solved] [Linux] Spotify 0.9.4, no Local Files reproduction after system update

I'm using Sabayon Linux (Gentoo Overlay) From what I've read so far I think the problem is that libavcodec got updated to libavcodec.so.54 but it doesn't show with ldd /usr/bin/spotify: /opt/spotify/spotify-client/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version infor...

• Music Fan
  • I'm using Sabayon Linux (Gentoo Overlay)   From what I've read so far I think the problem is that libavcodec got updated to libavcodec.so.54 but it doesn't show with ldd   /usr/bin/...
  • LinuxNerd
  • Casual Listener
  • 16 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 16 replies
  • 0 likes

BUG : Spotify client version 0.9.4.183 on Ubuntu 13.04 (and probalby other Ubuntu versions)

Spotify 0.9.4.183 keept scrolling to the top by itself, after draging a blok of a playlist from the bottom to the top. A restart of the Spotify client is the only escape. To reproduce the bug: Have a playlist of 100. Select the 90th or so Shift selec...

• Regular
  • Spotify 0.9.4.183  keept scrolling to the top by itself, after draging a blok of a playlist from the bottom to the top. A restart of the Spotify client is the only escape.   To reprod...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Track not removed from Play Queue once played

When selecting to 'Queue' tracks, the tracks are added to the front of the Play Queue and are removed from it once played - this is good and as I would expect. However if instead of selecting 'Queue', I (often accidentally) press 'Play', (from Discov...

• Roadie
  • When selecting to 'Queue' tracks, the tracks are added to the front of the Play Queue and are removed from it once played - this is good and as I would expect.   However if instead of select...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! Desperate need to vote stuff I dislike down.

I'm new to Spotify and enjoying the large catalog, but there is a huge disadvantage to using it: Where's the vote down or don't play this button? I can't actively filter out stuff I do not like and it drives me nuts. I can listen to a radio station a...

• Casual Listener
  • I'm new to Spotify and enjoying the large catalog, but there is a huge disadvantage to using it: Where's the vote down or don't play this button?    I can't actively filter out stuff ...
  • danobri
  • Casual Listener
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes

Solved!! Playliste are not secret as it says

Hi guys, just a little problem. I set my playlists "Secret" (not public) but it still contunue to be viewed by my friends. Why's that? I'm using Spotify on Linux, and Spotify app on Android.

• Casual Listener
  • Hi guys, just a little problem. I set my playlists "Secret" (not public) but it still contunue to be viewed by my friends. Why's that? I'm using Spotify on Linux, and Spotify app on Android.
  • Joe
  • Community Legend
  • 19 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 19 replies
  • 0 likes

Centos Spotify Segmentation Fualt

Hi all, I've been running spotify on centos 6.3 for quite a few months now. This morning I started getting segmentation faults when it started up. Tried the usual deleting $HOME/.cache/spotify and $HOME/.config/spotify to no avail. Tried running with...

• Regular
  • Hi all, I've been running spotify on centos 6.3 for quite a few months now. This morning I started getting segmentation faults when it started up.   Tried the usual deleting $HOME/.cache/spo...
  • leamas
  • Community Legend
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes

[Bug][Desktop][Linux][0.9.4.183.g644e24e0]Spotify turns Skype offline

I'm currently using Ubuntu 13.10 Every time I start Spotify or Spotify changes track Skype turns to offline. For Skype calls I'm using my phone, but for chatting the computer keyboard and big screen are much more convenient. If I make a longer lastin...

• I'm currently using Ubuntu 13.10 Every time I start Spotify or Spotify changes track Skype turns to offline.   For Skype calls I'm using my phone, but for chatting the computer keyboard an...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! Discover based on artist followed

Hello, i have a suggestion. If a NEW user come to spotify, the only way to make his current "Discover" is listening diferents artist.... My suggestion is: If i Follow a lot of artist (or friends or someting) "Discover" must to use this information to...

• Regular
  • Hello, i have a suggestion.   If a NEW user come to spotify, the only way to make his current "Discover" is listening diferents artist....    My suggestion is: If i Follow a lo...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

linux 0.9.4: Broken installation layout.

The SpotifyHelper in 0.9.4 lives in the Data directory. This seems broken for two reasons. The data directory has until 0.9.4 been used for non-arched resources. Generally, this is also what a directory called Date could be assumed to contain. The RP...

• Community Legend
  • The SpotifyHelper in 0.9.4 lives in the Data directory. This seems broken for two reasons. The data directory has until 0.9.4 been used for non-arched resources. Generally,  this is also wha...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes