Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Need to disable local file play

Solved!

Need to disable local file play

I had spotify installed a couple months ago. Just resubscribed but now when I go into my desktop client and search for something...it pulls up older local files that I synced. I just want it to always use the spotify library and not my local files. Is there any way to deprioritze local search or prevent it from looking on m comp. at all? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! 🙂 

Just head to Spotify > Preferences > Local Files and untick all the boxes. Then restart your client and your local files should all be gone. If not, go to the local files tab, highlight them all, right click and press "Unlink track". 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! 🙂 

Just head to Spotify > Preferences > Local Files and untick all the boxes. Then restart your client and your local files should all be gone. If not, go to the local files tab, highlight them all, right click and press "Unlink track". 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You da man. Thanks buddy.

Again in 2016 things seem to have changed.  Preferences is on the edit menu.  It does not list the links of the local  files.  Need a new solution  for  the 2016 version  of Spotify.

Any new solution for this? All of the 'Local File' sources in my preferences are unchecked, but the Spotify desktop client is still linking these local files and playing them instead of the actual Spotify client versions. These are all mis-linked and playing the wrong track content. I want all of my local files to be disconnected

I installed Spotify on newly installed operating system...  My music library is huge... so I know I have to disable this option (local library), but it's selection is not working... Cointinues crashes with app because of this - my library contains over 200000 music files.

Suggested posts