Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pause / Play Not working broken

Solved!

Pause / Play Not working broken

Within the last few days my pause/play buttons have stopped working.  

I used to be able to ues the media buttons on my Logitech Keybard as well as my Logitech Headset (which is wireless bluetooth).  These include pause/play, stop, volume, and Next / Previous song buttons.

Today they are not working at all.  As of at least Weds last week they were.  I tried reinstalling spotify and rebooted multiple times.

Has anything changd that would cause this?  Or is there something in my Windows 7 64-bit environment that happened, that would unassociated Spotify to these hotkeys?

Thanks!!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have the same problem from time to time. It seems that GooGle Play Music takes control of the shortcuts (at least this is what happens on my MacBook). I have Chrome and to fix it, I followed these steps:

• Open Chrome
  • Choose Preferences in the Chrome menu in the menu bar
  • Click Extensions in the left sidebar
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page
  • Click Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Look at the key bindings in the Google Play Music section
  • Click the X in each dropdown box so that each box looks greyedout and reads 'Not Set'

Hopefully that helps some of you. 🙂

View solution in original post

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 19.58.31.png
Marked as solution

@adamrprice wrote:

I have the same problem from time to time. It seems that GooGle Play Music takes control of the shortcuts (at least this is what happens on my MacBook). I have Chrome and to fix it, I followed these steps:

• Open Chrome
  • Click the X in each dropdown box so that each box looks greyedout and reads 'Not Set'

I was able to change the drop down menu from "global" to "in chrome", fixing the problem in other programs, while still allowing the shortcut to work in chrome.

Marked as solution

@esulcj wrote:

I also have this problem. The hotkeys now only work when Spotify is in focus. I don't have the Google music extension, nor any other extensions that could be taking over use of the hotkeys.

I was experiencing the same issue. I do not have the google music extension or anything. Nothing worked for me until I did this... I had to go to the setting (or hit crtl+p) and scroll down til I saw "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" and move the slider to off and it worked when spotify is not in focus.

44 Replies

Same thing happening with me. I have a Razer keyboard and a Logitech G500 mouse with play/pause buttons and I can verify that they are not working only with Spotify because it works with Windows Media Player as well as YouTube.

Does it work when Spotify is in focus?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope, tried both with my mouse shortcut and keyboard.

I am having the same issue. noticed it about a month ago and is becoming quite annoying. It fails to work on the hardware keys of my laptop and my desktop's Razer keyboard. Both computers run Windows 8.1 x64.

I am on a Mac and after the latest update from Spotify I lsot the ability to use the these media keys.  I had been limited by making sure Spofity was the last used media app o nthe computer for them to work which was a pain, but doable.  Now even if Spotify is active and open with focus I cannot use my media keys to pause or play.  I am on a Mac running 10.9.5.

"pause" button functions as the "skip back" on the first click and then will resume normal function once "play" and then "pause" are hit again consecutively.   

This problem just started with me.  Has anyone found a solution?

My keyboard's Play/Pause button doesn't work in Spotify, even when it's in the foreground. But it works perfectly with MusicBee. I'm running Windows Tech Preview Build 10074.

I also have a Razer blackwidow ultimate keyboard and it seems like 2-3 Spotify updates ago was when my media keys stopped working.  This is a huge inconvenience as I am a heavy virtual desktop user and am now forced to switch to the desktop Spotify is on every time I need to pause or skip a track.  I am paying for premium, please fix this!

Marked as solution

• Open Chrome

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 19.58.31.png

adamrprice! Incredible, I feel like such a n00b, I had no idea chrome had this keyboard shortcuts section and sure enough, those keys were set for google play music.  I haven't used that service in a several months and did notice this change after a Spotify update, but apparently I was wrong, maybe it was after a chrome update?  Thank you very much for this help!

My pleasure! Glad I could help. 🙂

mine also happened on a mac keyboard.

I messed around with this so much before finding this! You fixed it. Thank you so much!

Thank you Thank you so much man or girl. Man, I had this problem for 5 months thanks!

I don't have this under extensions. Maybe if I try disabling the Skype extension, since I use desktop Skype...
I am using Windows 10 x64 bit, and I am using a brand new pair of bluetooth headphones. The play/pause doesn't work, but skipping tracks works just fine. Maybe it's trying to answer Skype calls, but I don't have Skype open.

Every time I try to pause/play, it seems as though the headphones disconnect for a few seconds. (I actually know this because the headphones say "connected" each time they connect.) However, the computer doesn't switch to its speakers for some reason.

Perfect!!!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Disabling Google Play Music worked for me! You are a life saver, I knew trying to switch to GPM would screw me over if I ever wanted to go back to Spotify.

You are god thank you

Suggested posts