Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Different badge labels on profile page - User, Tastemaker... and?

Different badge labels on profile page - User, Tastemaker... and?

On the profile page all artists have the badge label "ARTIST" on top of their name and all users have the label "USER". But in addition to this I've also seen at least one user with the label "TASTEMAKER". How is this assigned to a user and are there more labels?

Tastemaker

6 Replies

Weird, got a link to the profile? Want to check it out!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

A quick Google through up a LinkedIn profile showing a whole raft of music industry experience. Wondering if they have a role at Spotify! Looking at their playlists they have some popular ones which are in Browse (tagged with Taste Maker), so I'm wondering if you get that title if you submit a playlist to Browse or something! 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Wow, scrolling down Top Lists in Browse Spotify actually features user generated lists as well. I thought they no longer cared for user generated content and only fostered the commercial lists but it seems as if they're doing the same mistake there as they've sadly introduced to the profile pages (only listing by popularity and not making it possible to feature/list new lists). I even found one of my top lists in the Browse section - a list from 2011 (described by Spotify as being from 2012) - how exciting is that?

So the answer to your question is that no, since I'm a User the Tasetemaker title is not related to the Browse section.

I was just browsing the who to follow page and just spotted the tastemaker section. Anyone got any idea who these people are? I'm also wondering if we are all getting the same list or if they are suggested to us based on our own taste?

So now it's a bit more clear what this is about, considering that there is a Tastemaker tab in the Activity section as well:

"The feature has not been officially announced, but is starting to roll out slowly, both in Spotify apps and also on its web player. It is “part of a program to surface user playlists that hit certain engagement criteria,” which suggests also that Spotify may be experimenting with engagement and usage algorithms and looking to add more tweaks in the future. Spotify chooses the Tastemakers — you don’t nominate them (or yourself) — and users “will be informed” when they make the list, the source adds."

- http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/21/spotify-pushes-popular-playlists-with-a-new-tastemaker-tab/

I must confess that I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not considered being a Tastemaker.

Edit: It seems as if what qualifies aTastemaker (what's commong among Tastemakers) is that the user has at least one very popular playlist - with several thousand followers.

Suggested posts