Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
TripleSpeeder

Just created my account here to support this idea. I really love spotify, you have the best features and app. But I canceled my subscription and am now using Google play music - for the very reason of chromecast support. Please stop the political BS, get over it and add chromecast. I`ll be back in an instant - unless you wait too long and Google has caught up...

Andrews32

I don't have a Twitter account, but I second what that dude said. Post at them all day long until they're forced to respond. We need to get some sort of public support or coverage to make anything happen. The embarrassing system of customer support they have really needs to be exposed. 

Andrews32

And make sure to include the CEO, Daniel Ek: https://twitter.com/eldsjal

eymey

Already 5160 kudos for support on Spotify forums. Spotify keeps ignoring us

Pezay

Come on now and make this happen! You can´t keep ignoring this issue that so many of your customers are waiting for! No one wants to buy expensive hardware to connect Spotify to their stereo of choice. You already have airplay som why not include chromecast support??

If this is not developed and released soon, I´m moving to Google play as well as so many others... 

Fyrtårn

I have been a premium subscriber since march 2010.

The last update made that I decided to cancel my subscription;
"New: Want to use Spotify Connect on any speakers? Plug a phone or tablet into both a charger and your speakers. Log in to the same Spotify account on another device, and use it as a remote."

Waiting for chromecast support the announcement of this 'old' Spotify Connect function (good function, but chromecast is so much more) instead of Chromecast made the decision easy.

You seem uninterested in chromecast and you even blocked Spoticast who were doing you a huge favour.

Letting you know that I will wait no longer and I am leaving Spotify in favor of Google Music.

andreruas

To play Spotify in Chromecast.

Android

• Android Chromecast App + "Cast Screen"  option.

PC - Chrome Browser

Andrews32

I know you're trying to help, but if you look on the previous page, that solution is already covered, and it's explained why it's a poor solution: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idc-p/852959#M53556

And this is almost beyond Chromecast right now, most customers are just upset at the way Spotify treats its customers. It has no real feedback channels, with the only thing the moderators and submission forms telling us to do is to post here and get kudos if we want to see a response. 

Well, we did your bidding, got more kudos than anything, and you STILL refuse to answer us and treat us like intelligent beings. You should be embarrassed, Spotify. Hope that Connect money makes you feel good about treating your customers like idiots!

johannesdr

@andreruas the following workarounds have already been suggested multiple times in earlier posts:

• Cast Chrome tab
  • Cast Android screen
  • Spoticast Android app

None of them are real solutions and have their drawbacks. On top of that Spoticast has been taken down by Spotify: https://plus.google.com/104963955277459800660/posts/ZLUjiQpMroo

As Andrews32 states, it is getting ridiculous how hard Spotify is ignoring this request or even actively preventing workarounds like Spoticast.

dkellett

Maybe an online magazine like Engadget can do some investigating. I just informed them of the situation through their "send us a tip" form that you can access down the bottom of their main page.