Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New app idea - playlist identification

New app idea - playlist identification

I am trying to develop an iOS app that identifies a public playlist that is currently playing from someone else’s phone. To do this, I would need to identify the song that is currently playing (similar to Shazam), identify a user in the area of my iphone who is currently playing that song (possibly utilizing Google maps api), and then pull the playlist from that person’s phone (if playlist is public).

Is this possible using the Spotify api or Spotify user api or perhaps some other method?

I am not sure if Spotify will allow me to pull another users currently playing song, rough user location, and the users’ public playlists. 

Or is the data of a user’s public playlist somehow transmitted another way when it is being played, potentially over a speaker? My assumption is that the person could not just ask for the other person for the playlist - maybe they’re at a crowded bar, a coffee shop, or a house party. 

4 Replies

I'm not a Spotify representative, but I don't think you can access another user's data.

That’s a good point. If only there was a way to get the public playlist that is playing. 

Maybe some sort of integration with Shazam can work around this

You can get the currently playing playlist of a user with the Get Currently Playing Track endpoint. It will be part of the context object.

Suggested posts