Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify & PlayMySong in Cafe area at the college

Spotify & PlayMySong in Cafe area at the college

I was wondering if you could provide me with some information about Spotify licensing. We are a College based in the UK that are looking at a virtual jukebox solution. We can see that there are a number of Spotify apps offer this service such as Playmysong. Although when checking your ‘General Questions’ page, it is stated that Spotify cannot be used in schools, restaurants, stores or bars.

I know this can sometimes be grey area, but I think it would be great feature to provide for the students.

Are we able to use Spotify in this way in our canteen area? If not, are we able to purchase any additional licensing to be able to do this?

Cheers,

5 Replies

Hello @College123456 and welcome to the community!

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it offers a business-based Spotify plan for bars and shops (-> so not sure, if it count's for schools, too). See here: https://www.soundtrackyourbrand.com

Also, I think it has only just launched in Sweden (and US?). Just check out the website and see, if it shows the price in pounds (I'm in Germany and I see swedish kronas because it's not available here).

Spotify for Buisiness is not avadible *yet* in the UK (I know, as I live there :P).

JOEBOT, lovingly handmade by MattSuda - I'm not the only sexy rock star, there are plenty of others that are happy to help you out. Just look for the star by their name.
-
I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF SPOTIFY AB. I am just a thirteen year old child trying to help out. I am not paid to help or say any views of Spotify AB or any of it's affiliates, so the least that you could do is share some kudos, or, if I helped you out, mark my post as a solution. It makes me all fuzzy inside

Hi Carina,

Thank you for sending through this information, I have taken a quick look and it also doesn't look like it is available in the UK.

We have a PPL license which covers us for radio, but I am unsure if this covers us for spotify. I will drop PPL an email to see if they know.  

Thanks again,

John

PPL licensing aside, using regular Spotify for anything other than what is classed as personal usage is a breach of the terms of service, so strictly speaking you can't play it back in your college I'm afraid.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter,

Thats disappointing to hear, can you recommend any alteratives?  I have seen that ITunesDJ used to do something simular if we purchased the music?

Suggested posts