Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to keep to the old Spotify UI in Mac

Solved!

How to keep to the old Spotify UI in Mac

Hi, 

Does anyone know how I can keep the old Spotify UI in mac os? The new UI it's just terrible and I much prefer the old one. I'm also paying for the service and I don't want the new interface. Why can i not keep the old one? 
So far, I've tried a bunch of .sh scripts but they aren't working and the app re updates after restarting. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It seems that by completely removing writing permissions in /Library/Application Support/Spotify works.

To do that, I installed and run an old version of the app as normal for the first time, this will create a bunch of new folders. The one you really need it's called PersistentCache, this is the folder where the Update will be downloaded and the folder for the update stored. Do not delete whatever is generated as these will store your preferences, etc.

What you need to do now is to set your permissions as follows in the PersistentCache: 

Right click onPersistentCache, GetInfo and scroll down to the permission section: Yours (read only), everyone (no access) and remove what other permission appears there. 

Do the same now for the Update folder, in this way the automatically downloaded app cannot be downloaded since it does not have permissions to write in the folder.

It is possible that the Upload folder is created and populated with the new update before you finish the process but fret not, delete the downloaded update from the Update folder (don't delete the Update folder), apply the permissions as described above and re install the old version. Should work fine now, enjoy your old version of Spotify.

What I don't understand is why do I have to go through this to avoid to get forced down my throat the new UI update? Do I have to move to Amazon Music at this point? 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

It seems that by completely removing writing permissions in /Library/Application Support/Spotify works.

To do that, I installed and run an old version of the app as normal for the first time, this will create a bunch of new folders. The one you really need it's called PersistentCache, this is the folder where the Update will be downloaded and the folder for the update stored. Do not delete whatever is generated as these will store your preferences, etc.

What you need to do now is to set your permissions as follows in the PersistentCache: 

Right click onPersistentCache, GetInfo and scroll down to the permission section: Yours (read only), everyone (no access) and remove what other permission appears there. 

Do the same now for the Update folder, in this way the automatically downloaded app cannot be downloaded since it does not have permissions to write in the folder.

It is possible that the Upload folder is created and populated with the new update before you finish the process but fret not, delete the downloaded update from the Update folder (don't delete the Update folder), apply the permissions as described above and re install the old version. Should work fine now, enjoy your old version of Spotify.

What I don't understand is why do I have to go through this to avoid to get forced down my throat the new UI update? Do I have to move to Amazon Music at this point? 

Suggested posts