Premium

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 11 Pro)

Operating System

(iOS 15.6.1)

My Question or Issue

Phone is connected to my vehicle via Bluetooth. Intermittently, when I open Spotify the music shows that it's playing, but I can't here it. Then, the wife calls to report that my music has replaced the music she was playing at home on the Echo Dot. This occurs occassionally and I've done nothing to select a different audio output device or source. To kill this problem for now, I've disabled the Spotify skill on Alexa, but I'd like to understand what's causing this issue.

8 Replies

Hey @MSStateDawg,

Thanks for posting on the Community and welcome 🙂

In this case, most likely both, you and your wife, were using the same account: yours. Keep in mind that, even if you can open your account on all the devices you want, you can only listen to music on one at a time.

According to what you're kindly describing, it seems your wife was listening to music on your account, which was linked to the Echo Dot. Since the account was already streaming music on that device, when you opened it on your mobile phone, you could see something was playing; but couldn't listen to it since it was playing on the Echo Doc. Once you change the music on the cellphone, the music your wife was listening to changed.

So, in this case, to avoid confusion in the future, we suggest you both make sure you're listening to music on your own accounts. Remember accounts are for personal use.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have been having the same issue. My husband and I have the premium duo membership so shouldn’t we be able to listen separately at the same time?

Hey @Athacker06,

Thank you for your reply in this thread 🙂

Premium Duo is a discount plan for 2 people who live together. Each person on the plan gets their own Premium account, so no one shares a password and everyone keeps their own saved music and playlists.

That being explained, it's possible you both log in on the same account. In this case, we suggest you check the details of the Premium Duo account you see active on the app. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to Home.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. At the top of settings, you can see the username and the email linked to that account (if any).

So, make sure you both are logged in on your own separated accounts. 

If you have an Amazon Echo Dot, try for starters to check what is the Spotify account linked to it. You can check this by accessing your Account page. Keep in mind you can only link one account to the Echo Dot, so, if you can't listen to music at the same time, most likely the account linked to the Echo Dot is the same as the one you're trying to use on another device.

We hope you found this helpful. Let us know if you need anything else. 

Cheers!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same issue and have spotify premium. So everyone has their own login and account. As my account is linked to alexa, any time I want to listen in the car my audio is stopped when someone in the house wants to listen to music. Does this mean that only I can listen to music in the house? And why this is an issue that needs to be solved  we pay a premium price for premium the least we should be able to do is listen on any device in the house as it is a stationary IP address. There is no work around to my knowledge here. Unless an account is made specifically for the house and that is used for alexa devices. But this does not help as premium only allows each of us to have an account no spare for the house. 

I have noticed that when I come home after driving the car, my bedroom Echo dot (it is ONLY ever this Alexa device that is affected) is playing some random album I have never heard of and have certainly not chosen. I have spoken extensively to both Spotify and Amazon on this subject (deregistering/reregistering Alexa dot, clearing the Spotify cache, forcing Stop on the Spotify app and numerous other attempts to stop this happening). Tonight, hours after returning home, my Dot started playing by itself on the bedroom Echo dot (kids music this time!!). It also plays at a louder volume than I have the dot set to! I have logged out of all Spotify apps and changed my password - all to no avail! I would appear I am not the only one to suffer this phenomenon. I am concerned that if I go away for a prolonged period, my poor neighbour will have random music blaring through the wall at all hours and my electricity bill will be sky-high!  Any suggestions of how to fix this (Spotify and Amazon have both failed), please let me know! Thanks!

Your answer is plainly wrong.

I‘m having the same issue, but just one account and just me as the only user. Whenever I start the engine of my car, Spotify starts playing music on an Echo device at home.

Everytime, every single f*cking time when driving my car, I need to unlock my phone, go to the spotify app, exit car mode and select my iphone as the current speaker, as the last  Echo device used is always active by default.

This is frustrating beyond my acceptance of paying for a premium account any further

I have exactly the same issue and tthat started to happen a few weeks ago! What you guys at Spotify did? That behavior doesn’t male any sense and you guys know that! It’s a premium account, 2 users connected! Doesn’t matter if my account is connect in two devices (car and echo dot)! They need to play separately! Fix that and fast or Apple music will get my money

I agree completely. So the solution is that I need to have one account for my house and one for my car otherwise I am half way to work and my kids music comes on. It’s so frustrating as they are using the home Alexa to play Spotify. There needs to be a solution to this. From memory it doesn’t happen on Apple Music. 

Suggested posts