Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
Spaceboy309

Given that this already was a functionality that loads of users took advantage of, I find it somewhat ridiculous that it was removed in the first place. Widgets are one of the best things about android devices, and the Spotify one makes the app infinitely more functional. As many people have complained, when you pause music, the lockscreen and drop-down menus disappear basically immediately. A permanent widget is also useful when you haven't put the app on for a few hours.

m4cc4s

Not happy that this was removed. I now have a hole on my home screen where Spotify should be. 

I work in IT for a finance company and if we were to remove a feature like quick balance or something we would  be dragged over hot coals. I suggest you bring it back. 

Moridin8738

What is the necessary number of votes to bring this feature back?  I truly don't understand why the feature would be removed in the first place.  I read another post that it was because Apple doesn't support it.  Is that true?  Is Apple ACTIVELY trying to **bleep** of Android users?  It wouldn't surprise me.  I was leery about this app when crApple bought the company.  I figured that eventually they would turn it into another proprietary, craptastic, Apple only application.  Poor form Apple.  Killing yet ANOTHER great app with your elitist, bu!!$#!+ mentality.  Boo...down with your shabby selves.

-wpld_t5oy0cg

Steve Jobs? Is that you? This is the most visionary, forward-thinking idea I've heard since the first iPhone!

Spaceboy309
Hold on, that's seriously a thing? That is fifty thousand shades of
bull-dust if that's what's going on. I didn't know Apple had bought
Spotify, I just thought it was an ease-of-update thing so they didn't have
drastically different versions. If they're specifically targeting Android
like this, I am massively displeased, instead of only mildly irked.
thenotsogreater

It makes no sense to take away a feature people use. I've had the home screen widget since I started using Spotify. I'm not sure who pitched the idea of getting rid of the widget, but they certainly don't speak for the end users.

HunterSWolf

I  will be removing my subscription if this is not restored or an further update here about when it will return by next week. This is a feature I use. 

Sthilairerenaud

Cancelling my subscription to Spotify Premium if its not back by the end of August.

JoeyJeep

Without the widget back, I'm gone. 

Wasiol

Oh, well lookie here, the moderators delete other topics on bringing the widget back and also comments! There were 17 pages of comments on this post in the morning and now there are barely 4. 

Great job, Spotify