Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Commercials more than double the volume of songs

Commercials more than double the volume of songs

I'm using spotify on Mint Linux and when commercials come on, they're BLARING.

I've ensured that the option for volume normalization is on - but when a commerical comes on it's at least double the volume. 

it's so loud that when I turn it down to match the volume of the songs, and the songs come back on, I can't hear them at all! 

This is no fun! 

2 Replies

I'm pretty sure the ads play at 100% volume and ignore the volume slider altogether (which is a problem that should be fixed). I suggest putting the Spotify volume slider to 100% and using your computer's system-wide volume to then turn it down to an appropriate level. That should make sure the ads don't blow your ears off.

Can you name the ad that was loud and the spotify track that was playing after? Then we can see if we can recreate the perceived double volume difference. If this happens all the time, even better, wait for the next time, name the ad and copy the spotify uri of the track and say it here, or even list a few of the pairs. Then we might be able to recreate the effect and see exactly what is happening. Other users seeing the post could use those examples to confirm the problem.

It might be a linux only thing, but probably not. You will probably see Win/Mac people in this forum complain about the same thing and even people just listening to radio or watching tv. Ads and track should definitely use the same spotify volume, but I know ads are louder, because they are even more compressed than popular music. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war I have never experienced this extreme change you describe. For me it is usually only a noticable difference in volume, but not more than what I can hear between some classical music pieces and just a normal pop song.

Suggested posts