Free

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Raspberry Pi 4

Operating System

Ubuntu 23.04

My Question or Issue

I have managed to install the x86-64 spotify application on a Raspberry Pi running through an emulation layer. However, the setup required to do so removes all possibility of being able to use a browser based sign in method, as the app is unable to access any browser. Therefore, I am unable to sign into my account.

More generally, the push towards browser based sign in is unintuitive when the old system was perfectly functional. For a company that is unable to even devote official time to supporting a linux version, it seems contradictory to unnecessarily change the sign in functionality. Looking at other posts on this site, this appears to also have caused problems for other operating systems as well. The configuration of the users' systems should not be assumed, and it is possible that many systems sandboxed for safety are also unable to sign in.

If it is not possible to return to the old sign in system entirely within the app, how can I install an older version of the application to work around this?

Once sign in is working, I am happy to post more information on running spotify on arm64 platforms such as the raspberry pi, which would reduce the need for the missing arm64 native linux suport. However, until the sign in system is able to be rolled back, the complaints about lack of support for linux arm64 will have to continue.

2 Replies

on linux, it would be helpful to know how the default browser is detected. I tried with firefox and chromium and some propritetary lightweight browsers, the result is always the same: no browser opens

spotify-login-problem.png

I'm also facing the same issue on Alpine Linux

Suggested posts