Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bedlam Hour: "Win a Billion Dollars!"

Bedlam Hour: "Win a Billion Dollars!"

Bedlam Hour’s new album, “Win a Billion Dollars” is a dream with its beginnings in the early 80’s.  This is a dream that I had the unique experience of witnessing and perhaps becoming a part of because I dated Chuck Walker throughout my high school years.  So, I’m telling the story of the dream from my perspective with the insight of a 15-year-old girl who witnessed greatness.

My first memories of Chuck’s band were from a time he played at a restaurant/bar in Rock Hill, SC called For What It’s Worth.  I don’t remember so much what they played at the time, but more the punk attitude and penchant for glam rock, breaking Air Supply albums and Styrofoam heads.  Time passed and there was a legendary party at Jon and Chris LeRoy’s house where Bedlam Hour precursor OU812 played Police and Clash covers and an original tune called “Teacher” that spoke of teen-aged desire for the hot teacher.  It was a fast, hard driving song not unlike “Next to You” by the Police or “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by the Clash.  Chuck played drums and shook the house.  At the time, we had dated briefly and broke up during my 9th grade year.  He graduated from high school in 1983 and went to the University of South Carolina while I remained in high school.  That fall, we reunited and around that time Bedlam Hour got its beginnings.

Chuck had been a great percussionist in marching band through high school and inherited a love of music and talent from his family.  He is largely a self-taught guitarist (with help I believe from his brother) and always provided vocals. He became lead guitarist and vocal frontman in Bedlam Hour, engaging the crowd while throwing edible treats like Carl Buddig Ham and wearing costumes that made high school me blush.  My relationship with Chuck blossomed through avid letter writing and phone calls during which I would get the first pitch of a new song, some of which I was privileged to hear again at the recent Jam Room Music Fest, including “Grey Sweater” which has been much touted in the Columbia music scene.  Others from that period were about our life and love as well as heartbreak, like “Corn Dances”, “Wait on Me”, and “In the Garden” which was a tribute to his father. 

Bedlam Hour began with Chuck and long-time friends Jon LeRoy on bass and Doug Throgmorton on drums, with brother Johnny Walker as a featured soloist even back in the 80s.  I can remember how particularly Jon and Chuck would have disagreements and eventually how Jon was critical of style, saying how it sounded like “someone jacking off” on the guitar.  I suppose this eventually led to Adam Kolesar playing bass.  Doug played for hard core bands in Charlotte like Anti-Scene among others and eventually moved on.  Bedlam Hour evolved, went “up North” toured Europe, took a break and was reborn.  Through it all, Chuck emerges as this charismatic character with a positive attitude who never hesitates to “Stand Up and FIGHT”.  His presence on stage gives voice to the voiceless, through his words, through his music and his relationship with Christ.

Fast forward to today’s music.  Bedlam Hour’s new work is nothing less than brilliant.  While it remains true to its hard-core origins, “Win a Billion Dollars” has allowed Bedlam Hour to be recreated in a time that embraces an edgier sound.  Punk-grunge-garage band tunes are mainstay listening for many and I find this album satisfies that appetite.  The songs are tight and clean with upbeat themes, driving rhythms and tell a story that makes you want to keep listening.  Chuck is still an engaging showman that keeps the crowd coming back for more.  I am so glad I had a chance to listen to the evolution of this talent, even though our relationship as a couple ended in 1986.  We remained friends over the years, and I will honestly say that Chuck’s influence is the prism through which I have honed my musical preferences all my life.

0 Replies

Suggested posts