Authentication API failing in production right now

Highlighted

Re: Authentication API failing in production right now

Regular
I changed usePKCE to false and it still works so I will keep that setting to conform to the Spotify spec. Thanks for the help.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

https://accounts.spotify.com/authorize
  ?code_challenge=<some random challenge>
  &code_challenge_method=S256
  &redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%3A19006
  &client_id=<client id>
  &response_type=code
  &state=<random state>
  &scope=user-read-email%20user-read-private

The problem was the same as someone else mentioned: PKCE was inadvertently on; it has started working now!

Highlighted

Music Fan
So if it works now, we don't need to change anything to prevent it from happening again, right?
Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

Thanks for sharing details, @ankerbachryhl @SleeplessByte @rohitganapathy @rogerchang1. We made an update to our authentication endpoints on Wednesday. The change was reversed on Friday.

We plan to re-introduce Wednesday's code change again later this week with a clearer error message. If your app uses the authorization code flow then please make sure that, when redirecting users to the /authorize endpoint, your app only uses query parameters that are documented in Spotify's OAuth guide. Adding extra query parameters (e.g. code_challenge or code_challenge_method) could cause your app to have compatibility problems again starting on Thursday. 

I hope this helps to clear things up - if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here in the thread 🙂

Highlighted

Music Fan

Hey @spotifyjosh

Thank you for a heads up. I must admit this worries me since I have never used the authorization flow any other way than documented in your official docs. I also received an error message on the /api/token endpoint and it seems like you only mention changes in the /authorize endpoint? 

Is there any way that I could test my app with the newest endpoints before an official release? Since I would be very happy to avoid my app breaking in production again. I hope this is understandable. 

Best regards,

Anker

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

Hi @ankerbachryhl,

I would suggest testing your app's installation flow as a new user and stopping after you are redirected to accounts.spotify.com/authorize. Take a look at the query parameters in the URL. You should see client_id, response_type, redirect_uri, and possibly state, scope, and/or show_dialog as described in the OAuth guide. 

Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 03.21.48.png

If there are extra query parameters in the URL (for example code_challenge) then, starting on Thursday, you could receive an error when your app tries to exchange the resulting code for an access token. Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Music Fan

Is the new update released now?

SUGGESTED POSTS