Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with /artists/albums

Solved!

Issues with /artists/albums

I'm having issues getting an artist's albums from the API.

Using the form at https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/reference/get-an-artists-albums 

I use the following values:

id = 7n2Ycct7Beij7Dj7meI4X0

limit = 50

The response says total is 71. But there are only 48 items in the response. (I know that valid albums are not included here.)

There is even a "next"-link in the response, with an offset of 50. But that doesn't work as the API only returns 48 albums.

The same issue exists for all other artists I tried with.

Anyone else having this issue?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Do you filter by album-type using include_groups in your request? Can you try to set include_groups=album in your request and check, which value for "total" is returned? After trying out a few things it seems to me, that Spotify limits the number of items in the response to the number of existing items with type "album", but only under some circumstances. I also think this is influenced by the given limit, e.g. for some artists I could reproduce the issue with limit=20 but not with limit=50.
Maybe a workaround could be first loading all items with include_groups=album, then all items with include_groups=single and so on, instead of combining these requests with include_groups=album,single,...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Another thing I noticed, is that if I set the offset to 48, I get 4 items. But when I set the offset to 49, no items are returned.

Something is not right here...

Marked as solution

Do you filter by album-type using include_groups in your request? Can you try to set include_groups=album in your request and check, which value for "total" is returned? After trying out a few things it seems to me, that Spotify limits the number of items in the response to the number of existing items with type "album", but only under some circumstances. I also think this is influenced by the given limit, e.g. for some artists I could reproduce the issue with limit=20 but not with limit=50.
Maybe a workaround could be first loading all items with include_groups=album, then all items with include_groups=single and so on, instead of combining these requests with include_groups=album,single,...

This solution seems to work.  Odd that they are limited when you combine include_groups, I used limit 50.

I have the same issue, with a different example. There seems to be an issue with the offset when multiple `include_groups` are specified. I could make separate calls for each group, but then it will mean 3 round-trips to the server, which isn't good for anybody.

The example I'm looking at is.. 

{
"href": "https://api.spotify.com/v1/artists/2cBh5lVMg222FFuRU7EfDE/albums?include_groups=album,single,compila...",
"items": [],
"limit": 50,
"next": null,
"offset": 50,
"previous": "https://api.spotify.com/v1/artists/2cBh5lVMg222FFuRU7EfDE/albums?include_groups=album,single,compila...",
"total": 58
}

So I'm providing an offset of 50, and a limit of 50. The total states that there are 58 records available (which is correct 45 singles and 13 albums), so I'd expect to see 8 albums/singles listed in the `items` element.

Suggested posts