Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Facebook postings without my knowledge

Facebook postings without my knowledge

I am a long time user of Spotify, and today I noticed something that has me seriously considering closing my account. I noticed that spotify has started sharing what I listen to on Facebook, I have never linked spotify to my facebook knowingly and never given my permission for this. I only noticed as someone "liked" one of the automated posts. 

Of course I have disabled this now, however the fact that you could do this without my consent has me seriously considering if I wish to continue with your service.

Is there an official line on this of complaints proceedure?

3 Replies

cpa199 - 

You have full control over what you share on Facebook, and there are a few options you can select to decide exactly you want to be shown. 

In Spotify, there is an option called "Private Session". Click on your name over in the top right hand corner, and select Private Session. This will stop sharing any tracks on Facebook and last.fm you play over that point.

This option is only designed for temporary use, so if you're looking for something a little more permanent, we've included that too. In the Preferences menu (Edit > Preferences on Windows, or Spotify > Preferences on a Mac), we have an option called "Show what I listen to on Facebook", under the Activity Sharing tab. Uncheck this, and the tracks you play in Spotify will not be sent to Facebook.

Airhorn Enthusiast

I'm aware of these things happening and it is why I have blocked all apps on my Facebook, and even put Spotify on a separate app blocking list. Facebook apps are the worst part of Facebook.

Currently, the following actions should be avoided because they will connect your Spotify account to Facebook without your permission:

- Opening a Facebook music link (facebook.com/music/random text), usually found on a "friend listened to x on Spotify" spam post.

- Clicking "Yes, listen to music!" on an occasionally appearing Facebook popup in an open.spotify.com link.

- Typing an email address instead of a Spotify username on the username field on the login screen. This is only a problem if you use the same password on both Facebook and Spotify.

David - This user was not ever aware that he/she was suddenly connected to Facebook. How could they have known that suddenly they need to edit some settings to stop posting on Facebook, which should not even default to "on" in the first place.

Thanks for the prompt response, however Stupify was correct, I was never aware that I had linked my facebook and absolutely never gave permission for this to occur.

Stupify, thanks for your reply too, I shall note never to do any of those things! I think I must have typed my email address instead of username, this would totally explain the situation. David, are their plans to stop this kind of accidental, potentially embarassing (depending on what you happen to listen too!) sharing? It feels like a pretty large breach of my right to privacy for me, and if you don't act on such complaints then surely you will lose subscribers. I have a great many friends that use spotify, a lot of them based on an introduction from myself. I will be making sure they are well aware of these issues also and I am sure they will share my frustration.

Suggested posts