Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Losing Basic Features

Spotify Losing Basic Features

It has come to my understanding, upon chatting with your customer service, that Spotify is now pushing most of its user to premium subscriptions. But, removing the basic controls one would expect of a streaming platform is probably a bad way to do it.

For the past couple of days, I have been facing issues. I am not able to turn off shuffle, nor press rewind or even scrub through to listen to my favorite part(s) of a song. This "upgrade" is quite frankly is ruining the user experience.  As a someone who used Spotify actively these were some of the features that I, a free account user used. 

I really do hope you understand and sort this issue since some of us can't use a premium account do to various factors.

9 Replies

I realize that Spotify is trying to increase its premium users. While I understand their objective in business, I do want them to recognize that Spotify free users use the free version only because they have to. Not want to. Everyone would want better features, but not everyone can afford it or more understandably not everyone has access to all the cash. With this being said, I think the "play any song you like", "play a certain song on repeat", "skip songs that don't match your present mood" features being snatched away is hard and horrifying. Music is undeniably a world wide therapy and people all over the world connect to music with Spotify. But with features like these, being stripped away, it feels overwhelming- especially for people whose only escape is music. Please do bring these features back to use for free users.

i face the same problem 

Spoiler

6months ago I bought the premium membership and now it is ended , after the premium got ended in this month my spotify isnt allowing me to play songs that i click or search, also doesnt allow me toh play next or previous song , after few songs played spotify play songs by its own choice, when i select a song to play it ask me to take premium membership. 

Hi everyone,

Sounds like you got to try one of the features our tech folks were testing for mobile users.

At Spotify, we're often trying out possible changes and launching improvements to the app. This means you might occasionally see something your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature to try temporarily.

Your feedback is important and valuable to us, so thanks for sharing it here. Rest assured it has been forwarded to the relevant team.

Note that you still get full control over the playback with the desktop app / the Web Player. More info on the differences between Spotify Free and Spotify Premium on mobile devices here.

The Community is always here if something else comes up.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Free

Device

Samsung Galaxy

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Since about a week I am unable to move the progress bar on my Spotify android app, unable to add songs to the queue, and unable to move to previous song. The previous song button looks greyed out as well. The add song to queue option doesn't show up at all. I don't know what may have triggered this and my desktop app and the website player are working just fine. Have tried a clean reinstall. 

Showing the greyed out previous button

Screenshot_20230611-010657_Spotify.jpg

To be honest... I don't think your tech folks have addressed the said issue. Its been almost a month and nothing has been changed. The new "changes" are quite honestly taking away the experience of listening to music and enjoying it. I just really hope that this is actually sorted out. Also if buying premium is the only way out, I guess its not really fair to the normal user because you are removing extremely basic features required in an music player.

Looking forward to hearing a solution 🙂

They took away so many features, from lyrics to playing songs either in order or shuffled, and add so many ads that its basically unusable on the mobile app. At this point, the free plan for Spotify isn't much better than other music services that I can use, and it just keeps taking away more basic features that SHOULD be on the app. If Spotify listens to our suggestions and wants, then maybe they should start DOING something about it and give back some features for the free plan. 

Get rid of the limit on lyrics. And fire the corporate brain damage employee that thought of this. The most stupid feature I’ve ever seen. Not to mention that lyrics are also a disability feature you realise that Spotify yeah? Absolute **bleep**. No wonder you don’t have enough premium listeners Spotify you increased the prices when the cost of living crisis is at an all time high. And now you are limiting lyrics? what’s next? Have to buy premium to listen to the full song???? 

Suggested posts