Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify family as primary account, but daughter primary user - how to upgrade

Solved!

Spotify family as primary account, but daughter primary user - how to upgrade

Wish to upgrade to family account. However, the account is associated  my email, my payment but my daughter is the main user (student). If I move to family, (so we don't keep clashing when listening)  she will need her own email to join but will loose all her followers and lists and I will keep her followers (I really dont want them!). Is there a way around this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @dcfletcher! @Maxim has pointed you in the right direction for keeping her playlists if you decide to take over this account as your own and have your daughter create a new account.

However, it sounds like you are wishing to let your daughter take this current account over as her own, and create a new one for you to use, since your daughter sounds like the primary user of your current account, correct?

After this, one of you can sign up for Spotify Family, and invite the other user as a member of your Family Plan so you both can enjoy the sweet sound of Premium.

If this is the case, here's what I you can do:

1. Change the email of your current account over to your daughter's email
    You can do this by clicking Edit Profile in your account on the Spotify website
  2. Confirm the email address change by signing out and back in again
  3. Then, create a new Spotify account for yourself to use
    Personally, I recommend signing up using a username, email, and password, and not using your Facebook account. You can connect Facebook afterward 🙂

At this point, you guys should each have your own account on Spotify Free - I'd just make sure everything logs in and out OK, and that the accounts are working fine before continuing.

If everything seems in order, now you can head on over to the Spotify Family signup page. Make sure that the account shown in the upper right corner is the account you wish to pay with. If you'll be paying, sign up with your account and add your daughter to the Family Plan. Same thing if your daughter is paying, but reverse the account roles.

@meahtenoha has posted a wonderful Spotify Family Q&A on the community which you can look over to get started. And as always, if you have any other questions, or just need something to listen to, come back and visit the Spotify Community anytime!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @dcfletcher,

All members of a Premium for Family plan will have their own account so if some of her playlists are on your account, she can just follow them to continue listening to them.

Hope this helps!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

slight misunderstanding here - I dont particularly want to follow my daughter, nor do I want her facebook friends following me. On of us will need  a new account I think, but wouldnt want her to loose her facebook connections or playlists. I only have about 6 playlists, she has loads. 

Marked as solution

Hello @dcfletcher! @Maxim has pointed you in the right direction for keeping her playlists if you decide to take over this account as your own and have your daughter create a new account.

However, it sounds like you are wishing to let your daughter take this current account over as her own, and create a new one for you to use, since your daughter sounds like the primary user of your current account, correct?

After this, one of you can sign up for Spotify Family, and invite the other user as a member of your Family Plan so you both can enjoy the sweet sound of Premium.

If this is the case, here's what I you can do:

1. Change the email of your current account over to your daughter's email
    You can do this by clicking Edit Profile in your account on the Spotify website
  2. Confirm the email address change by signing out and back in again
  3. Then, create a new Spotify account for yourself to use
    Personally, I recommend signing up using a username, email, and password, and not using your Facebook account. You can connect Facebook afterward 🙂

At this point, you guys should each have your own account on Spotify Free - I'd just make sure everything logs in and out OK, and that the accounts are working fine before continuing.

If everything seems in order, now you can head on over to the Spotify Family signup page. Make sure that the account shown in the upper right corner is the account you wish to pay with. If you'll be paying, sign up with your account and add your daughter to the Family Plan. Same thing if your daughter is paying, but reverse the account roles.

@meahtenoha has posted a wonderful Spotify Family Q&A on the community which you can look over to get started. And as always, if you have any other questions, or just need something to listen to, come back and visit the Spotify Community anytime!

Hi - was hoping you could assist me on a related question please.

Similar to the poster, I am the parent and my duaghter is using the premium plan for listening. It is my credit card and my email attached to the account. That said, she has all her favourites and playlists attached to the account. 

The issue is we want to add more family members to the plan but I want to make sure the invitees are controlled by me and not by her. This is so we can manage explicit content given age etc.

Can you confirm the best way to do this please ?

Many thanks

Hey @riccolo,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

If you're a Premium subscriber and you want to start a Family plan making sure that you'll be the plan's owner, you can make the upgrade directly from your account page . To do so, just click on this link to access your account page, scroll down and hit the button Change plan under Your plan info. Then, look for the Premium Family subscription, hit Select and follow the instructions.

After completing the process, you can start inviting other users to be part of your plan. Keep in mind that every user must have their own account to be able to join your plan. You can check out more info here.

However, all the playlists, liked songs and followers will remain in your account for your personal use. If your daughter wants all of her music transferred to her new account (that she must create with an email and password to join your plan), she can contact our Customer Support from her new account to ask an advisor to transfer the playlists from your account to hers. This is because we don't have access to users accounts from the Community.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts