Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Search] Keyboard shortcut to play the top result

[Desktop][Search] Keyboard shortcut to play the top result

So when I want to search for a song on my Windows Desktop client, I press Ctrl + L and then type in the song's title. And then I often have to use the mouse to click on the green play button. The other option is for me to hit Enter and then press Tab thrice (if the song has 1 artist) and then press Enter again.

This is a roundabout way of playing the top result. I am basically having to Tab through all the little objects on the page to get to the play button and then press Enter.

I would love for there to be a shortcut that would play the top result of a search query. So the new process could be:

- Ctrl + L to search song

- [New Shortcut] to play the top result

This is probably not going to be a very popular request as I don't think that many users rely on keyboard shortcuts to use Spotify but for us hotkey lovers, this would be a massive bonus. Please consider it, devs!

Personal recommendation: Ctrl + Enter to play the top result

4 Replies

Hey @circline,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome 🙂

We hope you don't mind us moving your post out of the ideas section to one of our Help boards as it fits better here.

That being said, we'd like you to know what you kindly suggested is already possible. So, what you can do to get the top result on a search is tap CTRL+K on the app, then a quick search bar will pop up. There, you can write the name of the song you'd like to listen to. A list of the possible results will display; you just have to tap enter on the one you'd like to play. The song will start to play automatically.

Now, it's possible to see all available shortcuts in the app by tapping CTRL+/ ; CTRL+? ; Shift+/ ; Shift+? . You can read about it in this article.

We hope you found this helpful. Let us know if you need anything else. 

Cheers!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey AlejaR, thanks for the response. I forgot to mention in the original post that I am already aware of the Ctrl + K shortcut but the only problem is that the song plays as part of a larger playlist/album. By that I mean that when you press Enter, it goes to its album page and plays that track. So when the track is finished playing, the following track on the album starts to play. This is slightly different from how searching and playing using Ctrl + L works. The latter only plays the top result specifically and nothing else.

So ideally, Ctrl + K's functionality could be potentially tweaked to just play the specific track and nothing else? I know it seems like a nitpick but I even have the "Autoplay similar songs" option turned off for my app just so Spotify wouldn't play things I didn't explicitly want it to.

Hey @circline,

Thanks for the additional clarification.

In this case we'd suggest you submit your idea again highlighting it is distinct from the current user experience when using the quick search option.

Let us know if there's anything else.

Take care,

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks, Elena. I've made the changes and created a new post here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Search-Keyboard-shortcut-to-play-the-top-r...

Suggested posts