Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify voice command not working on Bose speaker with Google Assistant

Spotify voice command not working on Bose speaker with Google Assistant

I have a Bose speaker that has Google Assistant built in. I configured Spotify as the default music player on both the speaker and Google Assistant. When I select a song from the Spotify app on my phone, the music plays on my speaker with no issues. However when I try to request a song by voice command it tells me it "doesn't understand".

Anyone else encounter this?
29 Replies

Here the same, also when I want to listen to streaming radio with tunein by using an okay Google command nothing is happening. A friend also had the same problem since today. We live in the Netherlands.

Just found out that, if I give the command on an other Google device (nest hub or nest audio overhere) and add the command to play it on the Bose, that this works fine. It’s starting to look like a Bose thing.

Sometimes the error appears: C10001. I’ve done a factory default, won’t fix the problem. I found out that, when I disconnect the Spotify account en after that sign in to Spotify again and reconnect, the Bose app gave an error that the Bose app doesn’t have access to the Spotify account. Seeing that Al Bose speakers I have have the same issue, it looks like a Bose thing. Later I will try a chat session with Bose.

I'm on a chat with Bose as well. I'll keep you posted if anything they offer works.

After almost a hour in chat and repeating a lot they told me it was something on their side, let’s hope so, just finished about an hour ago.
So I’ve got no solution but wait, maybe you have more luck. Still strange however that there’re not more people with this problem.
Just in case, I have the transcript of the chat on file 😊

After chatting with Bose, they said that something is wrong with the speaker. They sent me a prepaid return label to mail the speaker to them and they will repair it.

Seeing that I have 1 new smart 500 and an 2 years older Bose sound bar that both have the same problem since a couple of days I doubt that it’s the speaker.
Please let me know if they’re able to fix it, if somehow it’s starting to work again overhere I’ll let you know. It’s always possible that, all tough it looks like the same problem, we have a different thing going on.

Erwin

Same issue. Bose smart speaker 500. Please write here of someone has a fix or get a solution from Bose support.

A few days ago I had a chat session with Bose Netherlands, it started in Dutch and I ended in English and after 30 minutes they said it a fault on their side and that I have to be patience, I think they dont knot the answer and wanted to get roof me.

I myself think it has something to do with the Bose->Google->Spotify (and TuneIn) stream, in the Bose app I can go to Spotify and TuniIn without a problem. It’s started to look like a Google thing. It’s almost if Google won’t let Bose use the streaming function.

On the Google forum there also is a topic about this.

I will try to paste the link (don’t know if the forum rules allows it)

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/212999362/spotify-voice-command-not-working-on-bose-spea...

When I just went to the Google forum I found out that the thread about this issue is locked because a similar thread is active, this thread is about something else. Also a few other threads about Bose (non Google smart speakers) and this kind of problems are locked (just did a quick search, maybe there are others still active)
Bit strange if you ask me, if indeed this is done on purpose it could mean the problem lies with Google (maybe they won’t allow Bose to communicate to external streaming servers through them (money/rights issues?), let’s hope not). 

Reports where coming from more and more countries the last few days  and the Bose departments in those countries seems to be working separately, in one country they say return the speaker for repair and the other says it’s a known thing and they are looking into it. (Even the same country they give different advice). This also can mean that our complaints aren’t logged properly (or not at all).

I certainly hope this get fixed soon.

For now, the only thing that works is to give the request to listen to a non Bose (Google) speaker and have it play on the Bose smart speaker.or use the Google assistant routines.

Maybe someone has the opportunity to test the Bose speaker with Alexa? Knowing that Alexa works and Google doesn't, we've maybe narrowed down the problem.

In the thread you have referred to on Google forum, someone has written some days ago that Alexa works fine for the tasks but not the Google assistant.

Ah, sorry, missed that one I think, so this means it's definitely a Bose thing.
Let's hope they indeed listened to the complaints. A friend is still waiting on a call back from Bose after he called about this (4 days now)
I am trying to find out if there is another way to let them hear of this problem, with calls or chats I get the impression they are trying to fob us off by saying the problem is known.

Have this same issue in Germany. The link from Google to Spotify works since Assistant references Private mixes when answering that it understood my request.

Hello, I have the same problem on my bose 900 sound bar, I try to play music on spotify with google assistant, it responds that it will play the song, but then it says an error when opening the application, try again later, try many times to relink the accounts and the bose device, apparently it is from google assistant, because Alexa works correctly with Amazon Music, I hope the problem is solved soon.

same problem here in belgium , 2x bose smart home 500 speaker , both won't work anymore through google assistance command to start spotify. ( things like asking the time, the latest news etc still works).  

I have written an email on behalf of everyone experiencing issues with their Bose smart speakers (not send it yet). The email explains the problem and lists the unsuccessful attempts to fix it.

My plan is to send this email to the Bose customer service team in the United States (this e-mail address is known), and if possible, to support desks in other countries. However, most of these support desks do not list their email addresses listed on their websites, so I am still searching for them (overhere in the Netherlands I have not been able to find anything yet, maybe the .com is the only one)

If anyone knows of other forums (that ar not locked or closed for reply) where this issue is being discussed, please let me know.

I will keep you updated on any developments related to this matter.

Thank you for your assistance in addressing this problem.

Had a chat with Bose representative online from Australia. The issue is known to Bose and they are working with google to resolve. I was told to wait for a few days more. Apparently we will be notified on the Bose app when there is an update. 

I also think that this is not Bose issue, rather google's, as Alexa works perfectly.

Please keep me posted when they provide an update. I've mailed my speaker in for repair so I can't test it out. I imagine they will return my speaker 'fixed' once the update is done.

Suggested posts